Replacement Spare Tire - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Tires & Wheels

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
kyle_finbow

Default Replacement Spare Tire

I am in the market for a spare tire/compact spare/donut. The dealership down my street gave me a quote for $467.88. I feel this is a bit overpriced. I have searched online using the number on the side of my spare tire: T125/70r16 96m. All the tires I find are 10+ years old, or the seller is unable to ship to Canada. Does anyone know if there is another tire size that will fit my Eos?
kyle_finbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 03:16 AM   #2
cb391
Life is good... so far

Have you checked with a major tire retailer to see if just the tire is available? I have been told the tire may be available if you have the wheel.

2007 2.0T Sport, Eismeer/Cornsilk, DSG, Enkei PF01 17" wheels w/ Michelin AS/3 tires, DynAudio
cb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
voxmagna

After a quick web search that tire spec. size shows up for the VW Golf 7, Audi A3, Seat Leon and possibly other V.Ws? There are some on Fleabay. Buying used you should get a good tread as they are rarely used, but they could be quite old and 5 years is the recommend, although I think mine is still OE and should be changed. These days most people seem to rely on breakdown service insurance.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
eismeerblue

It would seem to me that if the tire is always in the trunk and is never exposed to sunlight, then it should pretty much have an indefinite life span. Steve
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
voxmagna

After some tragic public bus accidents on 10+ years old retreaded tires, over here they were talking about using the tire manufactured date as part of vehicle inspection tests. It hasn't trickled down to cars yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it will come. That will be a big surprise if the skinny spares are hard or expensive to replace or have to come with a wheel rim. In that event reluctantly I will throw in a can of tire repair, which rarely works because the tire bead can be found damaged too late.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
cb391
Life is good... so far

Kyle Finbow,
your tire is available in the states from Tire Rack for $113 USD. It is made by Continental. If they won't ship to Canada find someone who sells that brand and have them order it. It may also be available in other brands, but is available as new.

2007 2.0T Sport, Eismeer/Cornsilk, DSG, Enkei PF01 17" wheels w/ Michelin AS/3 tires, DynAudio
Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
cb391
Life is good... so far

Eismeerblue, as long as tires are subjected to any weather conditions they will age. UV is the biggest issue but not the only issue.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
cb391
Life is good... so far

In the US 10 year old tires are just asking for trouble due to aging and UV. Are highways here are littered with pieces of recapped and retreaded tires. They are used as lower cost replacement tires. I would personally like to see them banned here.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
eismeerblue

cb391, I don't think UV rays can pass through the trunk lid and the spare tire cover to degrade the rubber compounds in the spare tire. Mine has never been on the ground, in fact, I can't remember even taking it out of the spare tire well.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
cb391
Life is good... so far

Tires age. Even if not exposed to UV or even being out of your trunk, the compounds in the rubber break down over time. They are still exposed to air and whatever chemicals may be in it. Emergency spares are specialized tires. They are only meant to be driven a short distance at a lowered speed. That makes them sort of fragile. From what I have been reading not ever using then actually make them more dangerous when finally used because they never went through the flexing of a normal tire. Additionally they are recommended to be replaced at 10 years. I still have my original spare so I'm guilty of not following suggestions as well. You do what you want. I have been thinking about replacing mine for the past couple of years. I have never used mine, but for all the other money we spend, I think it would be a worthwhile investment. They are comparatively cheap compared to the rest of the tires on my car.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
paul_c

I think I would consider replacing mine too - just after I needed it and it let me down.
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #12
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

I had to replace SWMBO's emergency spare earlier this year when my annual tyre pressure check revealed no air pressure and pumping it up revealed a sidewall split caused by rubber disintegration due to the age of the tyre [at least 11 years allowing for warehousing after manufacture of the tyre and the assembly and shipping time from Portugal to Australia.

I strongly suggest anyone with an Eos over 8 years old should check their emergency tyre and replace if there are any signs of degradation. The cost of the replacement tyre and fitting was less than AUD200.
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #13
voxmagna

If rules come in about tire age they won't listen to hypothetical arguments about U.V no U.V (or water and humidity in the trunk!). In the same way an expert witness from a tire company will only substantiate performance from their own tests, quality control and provenence data. Everybody else will just look at the manufacturer date code on the tire. These tires are special because of their high inflation pressure and extra stress on the rubber.

Interesting to read about retreads in the US. We used to get them here but I haven't seen any for a while? We also used to see 'part worn' tires for sale, but tire shops won't take the businesss risk now of selling those. Tire sellers want to place legal liability on the tire manufacturer or user in case of failure causing accident or death.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #14
cb391
Life is good... so far

https://www.liveabout.com/the-scienc...-aging-3234377
http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/
I have attached a couple articles that may shed some light. The biggest issue is oxidation. That is what may be the main cause of the spare going bad in our Eos. I looked at mine and their is no big cracks but there is a dry film coating on the tire. Under a magnifying glass I saw some irregularities that could be the beginning of cracks. But again the tire is 13 years old coded 2006. Tire companies here are going along with the car makers concepts of when a tire should be replaced which is generally six years. There are no laws saying it must be done, but if there were, people would probably ignore them like they do everything else. The replacement guides are only suggestions drawn up through testing, but the numbers may not be absolute. It is if you will erring on the side of caution.
Retreads here in the state are mostly found on large over the road trucks. Some tires are retreaded which is basically cutting down a worn out tire. Some have been known to do it to make tires look good in order to sell a vehicle. Tire sellers here may sell used tires as long as there is still tread on them and the date code is still current. Tire manufacturers are not liable for these tires unless they were part of a safety recall. Again I will stress that what happens here in the US probably doesn't happen elsewhere.

Last edited by cb391; 09-16-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #15
voxmagna

Quote:
Tire manufacturers are not liable for these tires unless they were part of a safety recall.
That's interesting because over here (and in Europe) our sales laws place first line responsibility on the seller and if it's a manufacturer issue they then have to pass on a legal claim to the manufacturer. If an original manufactured item has been modified (e.g retread) then another load of Health and Safety law comes into play because those who made the changes are treated like a new product manufacturer. It is therefore unlikely that a back street retreader would be able to prove compliance with quality standards. Which is why I think our tire shops have shyed away and even getting a puncture repaired these days can be tricky. But yes, heavy goods and trucks have different rules.

One area which can be compliant is 'remold tires' done by big firms who have the manufacturing equipment, quality control and testing facilites. Unfortunately there aren't so many of those about now because imported new tires from the Far East are cheaper than recycling used tires. Now many used tires are shredded into chunks and mixed with asphalt for road paving. Driving an EOS top down along one of these roads is an absolute joy - virtually no tire to road noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement