New owner - CEL - what should I look at next? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
TomCooper

Exclamation New owner - CEL - what should I look at next?

Hey guys - I’m excited to be joining the EOS owner’s club - and a little scared, too.

This week I got a “great deal” on a 2009 Lux at the auto auction.
It has 124,000 miles on it. As far as I can tell, not wrecked and has a clean title.

It passed NC inspection a couple of months ago, but now the “Check Engine” light is coming on.
When the dealer picked it up from the auction, it had almost no fuel in it at all -almost bone dry fuel tank.

He put some premium fuel in and started it up.

The mechanic gave me a list of the codes that were coming up. (full list below)
Based on the age, miles and lack of history, we opted to start with the coil packs, plugs and plug wires.

This seems to have helped the situation - but not solved it.

The engine appears to run strong except at start and at idle when it is a little rough.
Many of the codes that were cleared have come back.

I’m stuck - what should we look at next?
Things we have thought of include:
injectors, fuel pump, dirty valves?

Before I plow a bunch of money into something that isn’t the issue, what do you think I should look at?

Should I run scared back to my Japanese car comfort zone?

00369 Fuel Trim Bank 1 System Too Lean P0171
00768 Random multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected P0300
00769 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected P0301
00770 Cylinder 2 misfire detected P0302
00771 Cylinder 3 misfire detected P0303
00772 Cylinder 4 misfire detected P0304
08213 Intake manifold flap position sensor (Bank 1) Implausible signal P2015 Intermittent
01286 Idle Control System RPM lower than expected P0506 Intermittent
04874 Cylinder Disabling P130A Intermittent
00576 Terminal 15 Electrical Problem in Circuit Intermittent
0884 Ignition switch (d) Terminal S Electrical problem in circuit Intermittent
0884 Ignition switch (d) Terminal X Electrical problem in circuit Intermittent
02744 Ignition Switch Terminal P (d) Electrical problem in circuit intermittent
Ignition Switch (D) Terminal 50 Electrical problem in circuit Intermittent
1176 Key not a plausible signal - intermittent

Last edited by TomCooper; 09-14-2019 at 03:59 AM.
TomCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
paul_c

Get rid of the P0171 first, you can't really diagnose the others until that's solved. It could be a vacuum leak (find this with a smoke test) or it could be a fuelling issue. Wasn't there a common issue with PCV valves on these engines?

I suppose some of those electrical issues could be looked at too, to start with.
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
voxmagna

Dirt in the fuel system is a strong possibility because the tank was run dry and the fuel pumps could have draw through rubbish?

But your biggest problems are electrical because whatever the condition of fuel, coil packs, vacuum leaks or most other things some of those reported problems will stop your car dead or contribute to misfiring. Replacing any of those parts could be throwing money away? 'Terminal 15 Electrical Problem in Circuit Intermittent' is very important. It is hard to say what might fix all these electrical issues without carrying out further diagnosis. Even though some point to the ignition switch, that is only providing logic signals to a controller further up the CanBus control chain which is more to look at. PS: 'Terminal 15' isn't a simple physical point you can go and look at, it is a term used to define the switched on power feed from a controller which connects to a lot of things.

A Japanese car bought at auction cheap and in unknown condition 'sold as seen' without warranty could have similar problems.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
TomCooper

Default PCV - seems reasonable and easy

I saw several forum posts about the PCV issue - that's cheap and easy to look at - I passed that along to my mechanic last night.

We'll see if that helps. And we can look for vacuum leaks - any particular common trouble spots we should start?
Old 09-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
paul_c

The smoke will clearly show where the leak(s) is (are).
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
TomCooper

I got an update from my mechanic this morning.
After the swapped out coils, plugs and wires, last night's run, we are down to one code: P0171
Old 09-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
John D

I would put my money on the PCV valve. Before I had my own VCDS my engine ran badly at idle and low throttle. A new valve cured it. At that time I was very much an EOS beginner but a retired mechanic friend had come across this issue on Golf GTIs having the same engine. He had a known good valve in his shed and we changed it . It worked! Not very scientific I know and I suggest you don't discount the possibility of other faults but it could be an inexpensive fix?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
TomCooper

Default Love the idea of an inexpensive fix

I've asked the mechanic to give the PCV option a run. Hopefully we'll have an answer by EOD Monday.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:11 AM   #9
gearslam

Seeing as you have a intake runner flap code, I'd just go ahead and replace the plastic intake manifold. They are prone to failure, the plastic hinges break and the actuator pops out causing a vacuum leak.
I'd clean your intake valves with a walnut shell blaster while the manifolds off.

My Intake Manifold broke at 60k miles.
2010 VW EOS, 2.0TSi, 6 Speed Manual:APR K04 Fully Loaded @104octane, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch and Light Weight Flywheel, Spulen Short Throw Shifter w/ECS Brass Bushings, ECS Dogbone insert, iABED Billet Rear Main, BSH Race Intake, BSH Throttle Pipe, ECS TOP, Godspeed V2 Intercooler, Audi R8 Coil Packs, NGK Ruthenium FR7BHX-S @.028, 3 Downpipe with High Flow CAT, Zinc Coated Slotted/Crossdrilled Rotors, Snow Performance VC-51 2-Stage Water/Meth (Post Intercooler & Pre-Turbo) w/BSH mount.
gearslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
TomCooper

We got it fixed.
Sadly, once I got my hands on the vehicle I realized that there was an oil leak.
So - P0171 combined with oil leak points to a rear main seal. Bummer.
While that was being replaced I had them do the 40k transmission service.
Also - the mechanic found that the flywheel was almost completely worn out.

So we replaced the flywheel, too.

The car runs great. I'm enjoying it.
Advertisement

Tags
cel, misfire, troubleshoot