2008 EOS Turns Over- Doesn't Run - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
vadertime

Default 2008 EOS Turns Over- Doesn't Run

Dear VW enthusiansts. Firstly, I will apologize if this issue has already been answered in another thread, just direct me there. Thanks.

Background:
I have owned 5 VWs including 3 currently. My wonderful 2007 Passat Wagon (first VW, which I loved) had a 2.0L Turbo in it and I hated trading it in. My current 2014 Tiguan has a 2.0L T in it. About 18 months ago I got a 2008 EOS 2.0L T with 6 spd manual, which had 79K miles on it and was in rough shape inside and out, but the engine ran. This was going to the beachmobile/project car for me and the dogs, while I am semi-retired in SW Florida.

I don't drive the EOS except once a month or so, but I start it up every weekend, retract the hard top and put it back up to make sure it's working. Well 2 weeks ago, it turned over and wouldn't run. I know that the last service interval the dealership told me I needed a new battery. So, this past Saturday morning turned into a battery replacement project. The dealership wanted 170.00 to replace the battery. I found a battery for 100.00 at Pep Boys here in Fort Myers. With the rusted bolt for the clamp, I spent another 50.00 in tools and twisted off the head of the rusted/frozen bolt to the clamp. So much for trying to save money. With the new battery it turns over, but will not run.

Since this is the project car, I am not in a great hurry to get it running right away. I'm not sure I want it towed back to the dealership, where they will charge me more than the car is probably worth to fix the problem. Like I said, I fired it up and ran it for 1/2 hour about a month ago. Two weeks ago, it wouldn't fire up, but engine turned over. It still turns over, but won't run. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
voxmagna

There are many basic things which stop a car from starting even with a good battery, but gas engines always need a spark at the right time, compression and the correct fuel air mixture. There are so many variables under these headings we could fill up an entire thread, although those with basic car mechanical knowledge and skills would have worked through the easy checks first leaving the hardest until last. You might have fried something before or after doing the battery swap?
Quote:
I spent another 50.00 in tools and twisted off the head of the rusted/frozen bolt to the clamp.
If you had bought a diagnostics tool like OBDEleven instead (with all those V.Ws you own?), it would have helped you with this fault and many more in the future. It doesn't actually fix the fault (a robot version may be in the pipeline to replace expensive VW techs ) but it gives you a starting point and more information to work from.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
vadertime

Thumbs up OBDEleven

Thanks for the info on the diagnostic tool. That was going to be my next step and since I own 3 VWs, it will come in handy. Amazon has the dongle for 64.99 and I found the OBDEleven Android application in the Google Play Store. This might be the least expensive starting point. Just the kind of advice I was looking for. It's been 40 years since my brother and I worked on our hot rods. Much has changed, which is why I take my vehicles to the dealership. This, will be a learning tool for me. It's a good thing I've been a computer programmer/IT guy for 37 years, so I'll figure this tool out. Thanks.

Update:
Just ordered tool from Amazon and downloaded app to my smartphone.

Last edited by vadertime; 10-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
voxmagna

I should be asking you why my C PIC code loops aren't doing what I want then! Treat modern cars like computers with dodgy Windows or iOS. Even the Stealers don't often get involved with raw engine mechanicals these days. They rely on diagnostics and their mothership database of faults (which we don't have) then at huge cost to you and the environment, change complete parts or electronic modules. You will still need to develop skills with diagnostics because their output often needs human interpretation.

On your first scan you will probably get loads of fault codes because most will be a consequence of others and that's where the human interpretation comes in to prioritize those on which others may depend. But as an ex programmer you should be o.k with that.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
aku-aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadertime View Post
It's been 40 years since my brother and I worked on our hot rods. Much has changed, which is why I take my vehicles to the dealership. This, will be a learning tool for me. It's a good thing I've been a computer programmer/IT guy for 37 years, so I'll figure this tool out. Thanks.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how diagnosing your car's faults has become more like debugging a computer then.

For us IT people, it's nice to have control units that log what happened and when, and can show you all manner of live measurements. Of course, you also have to cope with the fact that you now need to not only know the mechanics of the car but also the electronics - but I think you will enjoy the journey!
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
voxmagna

But for non-IT people they can get a fright each time they do a diagnostics scan because the fault reporting and stored log system is prone to glitches putting up phantom lower level fault codes which clear. Although in some cases they can be an early warning of something becoming more permanent.

I stupidly stalled my Tdi the other day and I'm expecting something on my next scan but there are no important warnings and I won't worry about it.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
Robstone

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when it turns over does it crank at a normal speed or seem to run faster? If it cranks at a higher than normal speed its a good indication the cam chain tensioner has failed. In that case you are in for an expensive repair bill.
Robstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
voxmagna

If that has happened his first diagnostics scan should show up a few important fault codes, but for now he can remove the oil filler cap and see if anything is moving inside.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
vadertime

Turns over at same speed. Initally it seems like it's trying to catch, but then just cranks over and does not catch.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
vadertime

Thumbs up Have Diagnostic Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
If that has happened his first diagnostics scan should show up a few important fault codes, but for now he can remove the oil filler cap and see if anything is moving inside.
===========================
Just got the diagnostic tool from Amazon over the weekend. I had downloaded the Android App from the Google Store last week. However, I had hand surgery last Friday so I won't be able to do anything till next week. No hurry, after all this has turned into a hobby project. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming.https://www.vweosclub.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
Old 10-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
voxmagna

Hand surgery can take a while and then maybe hand physio afterwards?

Forget all the old ways you may have learned about fixing cars and welcome to the brave new world of using diagnostics tools, the learning curve and new ways of thinking out problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement