3.2 VR6 loss of forward gears and stall - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #1
FSJ Guy

Default 3.2 VR6 loss of forward gears and stall

TRIED to take my car up into the hills today.

Uphill, under load, forward motion ceased. tach went up slightly, but no large increase in RPM sounds from the engine. Was able to limp along a little but, but then the rpm dropped and the engine stopped. I would have to turn of the ignition completely in order to try to restart the car. Sometimes it would restart. Sometimes not.

I was able to turn it around and head back downhill for approximately 20 miles. Then it happened again and completely refused to start. Got a ride home on a flatbed.

2 hours later, it starts right up and idles fine. Moved it around in the driveway just fine.

I scanned with VCDS and there are NO error codes in the engine or transmission modules.

Surely low fuel pressure would have triggered a code, right? The mechatronics going out would have tripped a code, too, yes?

Background: I DID run the gas tank out of fuel, but that was about 170-200 miles ago. There is just less than 1/2 tank of fuel onboard now.

Any ideas??

TIA.

Don't mess with me.

I once killed a living hinge.
FSJ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #2
aku-aku

That sounds like an issue with fuel flow to me, despite the lack of codes, mainly due to you mentioning that the problem started when going uphill.

Since you ran out of fuel completely, it would be worth checking the fuel filter, as whatever was in the bottom of the tank will likely have made it through the fuel lines. It could also be that there's an issue with the fuel pump - if I remember correctly it's possible under some circumstances to run with a broken fuel pump and not even notice.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Batjes

I would take a look at other vw forums. There are a lot of stall reports but only a few without any error codes. Some suggest key/ignition/immobiliser problems (woble the key while driving). I do think that low fuel pressure should result in an error code. Watch for dealers replacing all kinds of parts without the problem resolved, but maybe a test run with the dealers VAG equipment may give an answer.
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Shep

Hi. I wouldn't think it's gearbox related, it would still start.
Fuel filter might be worth changing. This car is new to you iirc, so no history of previous problems, but surprised it had no codes stored. Keep us updated, seems a strange one.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
FSJ Guy

New (low pressure) fuel pump and filter are on their way, along with the little fuel line release tool! (Whatever happened to HOSE CLAMPS? Ha ha!!)

VCDS showed no error codes in the engine or transmission modules.

<shrug>

Don't mess with me.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
FSJ Guy

New fuel pump installed seems to have helped. It starts up much quicker now. I also replaced the fuel filter. Both are super easy to do. I bought the fancy fuel line connector tool, but you don't need it. Squeezing the connector with your fingers is all you really need to do.

Just to test, I pulled the fuel pump plug while the engine was running. Sure enough, the engine died. But NO codes were set. <shrug> Maybe it has to happen several times before a code is set.

My new batteries arrived early, so I installed those, too.

Once I get the DSG serviced, I think she'll be ready for regular daily driver status.

Don't mess with me.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Batjes

Good to hear! Thanks for the feedback on the fuel pump, must remember that one!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:37 AM   #8
FSJ Guy

And now when I open the driver side door, I can easily hear the fuel pump priming and pressurizing the lines. I could not hear it before. So maybe that's an indicator that your fuel pump is going out. <shrug>

Don't mess with me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement