How to access coolant hoses? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:05 AM   #1
Ohio VR6

Default How to access coolant hoses?

Anyone know of a video or photos of how to access the coolant hoses? One has a major leak after the tensioner pulley seized and serpentine belt broke and engine overheated. A lot of coolant was ejected somewhere. But the engine bay is so tight I can't even see the hoses to look for tears or figure out how to access them!

I fixed the belt system, filled it back up and drove it for 20 minutes and coolant level only decreased slightly but after sitting overnight the reservoir totally emptied out! It's a 2007 3.2 but hoses are likely similar on 2.0.
Ohio VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
voxmagna

With most jobs on the lower engine, you remove the large engine tray first and for right side access, remove a wheel and the front plastic wheel arch liner.

Full front access is more tedious, usually involving the above and then removing the front grill and fender. Sounds like you have some important investigation work to do? On my Tdi the water pump drive is shared with the cam belt and I never want that breaking. Broken belts and water pump problems are signs of poor maintenance because belts usually go the full length of the recommended service mileage.

I hope your coolant isn't emptying into the engine.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Ohio VR6

Thanks for the reply and pointers Voxmagna. That'll help me know where to start. I'm not used to a tight engine bay like this, nor not having a Bentley Manual directions (since it's only XP compatible) or absence of DIYs on forums.

Thankfully the 3.2 VR6 has a timing chain and is separate from the accessory belt. That's why I bought the 3.2, no timing belt to deal with lol. The tensioner pulley of the accessory belt seized (I guess a common failure from what I read on other VW platform boards) and it shredded the accessory belt. Engine overheated and ejected coolant from somewhere.

Are you aware of any photos/videos/links/directions to remove the whole front end to get full front access as you describe? Someone in the EOS facebook group said her husband had to do exactly that to trace their coolant leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
voxmagna

When you get the chance, have a look inside the engine bay of an electric car. It's a joy to see so much working space. They just need to get them to work with the convenience of fossil fuel powerd cars and not with high value batteries accounting for 2/3rds the price of the car and a relatively short life. But I'm sure they will get better and cheaper.

I've not seen any projected 'cost of ownership' figures for them yet, that's not just electricity cost per mile, but the whole accounted costs including starting capital cost depreciation, servicing and reducing battery efficiency. You start with a li-ion battery at 100% just like your new smart phone, then lose 5-10% per annum depending on the number of charge/discharge cycles. After 5 years the quoted mileage range per charge and used trade in value may start to look a bit sick.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio VR6 View Post
Thanks for the reply and pointers Voxmagna. That'll help me know where to start. I'm not used to a tight engine bay like this, nor not having a Bentley Manual directions (since it's only XP compatible) or absence of DIYs on forums.

.................................................. .........

I kept an early laptop computer, reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP + Service packs I had on file [one reason to keep archived Service Packs + it had a serial port as well] purely for my Ross-Tech VCDS in case it had a "hissy fit" with later versions of Windows and laptops that no longer had serial ports [like the Surface Pro I am using now].

I would expect the WIN XP computer to run Bentley Manual software without any problems.

You might find sourcing an old computer and installing WIN XP purely for your Eos maintenance worthwhile.
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 AM   #6
Ohio VR6

Windows forcibly upgraded my computer to Windows10 last year. My dad has a basement full of our older computers and he said he could assemble one to run Windows XP for the EOS maintenance if he had to. However he thinks my Windows10 computer could run it in compatability mode.

I'm ordering the Bentley manual tomorrow because I still haven't managed to find any DIYs for any of this and I know how good it has been for my BMW 740iL.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 AM   #7
voxmagna

It will definitely run on Win 7_64 Pro in virtual Windoze XP mode that came with it and it works under the Pro license, although a bit slow. I think it will also run on Win 7_32. Most things seem to run on Win7_32 unless there are USB drivers only signed for XP.

Otherwise, I create a second dual boot partition for XP on a Win7_32 laptop. Win7_32 is fairly stable for most car software so I try that first and if it fails to run I install on the XP partition. AV or lack of isn't a problem if you cripple your internet connection (including wifi!) and don't 'network' your car specific computer to others. Similarly, I don't worry about millions of updates for running a few XP based car apps, unless lack of an update stops something working.

Yes hardware changes in newer computers can make for problems if older apps need serial, parallel or PS2 ports, although USB serial port emulators seem to work depending on how the original software was written.

If Win 10 XP compatibility mode is the same as my Win7_64 Pro it should work. The electronic format manual for the EOS isn't very DIY friendly. It's written as a set of service operations for VW technicians who have been on courses. The diagrams aren't easy to figure out either. Unfortunately Haynes didn't produce a manual for the EOS. But why not tie down your engine to another VAG group vehicle and see if there's a Haynes manual? MY07 EOS TDi has the Golf Mk5 diesel engine so I use that. No good for the roof though.

Last edited by voxmagna; 01-04-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement