Won't start, possible glow plug. - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Guinnesstain

Default Won't start, possible glow plug.

I got home from work yesterday (3 weeks at sea) and for a change the wife hasn't used my car while I was away. She had previously said it seemed like it was struggling to start although I've never experienced that.

Well this time, it wouldn't start at all. I got a jump from a neighbour and still nothing. It turned over briefly but there just seemed to electronic clicking more than mechanical engine issues.

I plugged the VCDS in and there is a Glow Plug 3 Electrical Fault, code P0673.

Is this something that would stop my beloved Eos from starting? I would have thought it would just be difficult to start at worst.

Could anyone enlighten me as to where the glow plugs are. Here is a pic of my engine.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a VagCom if anyone in the Norwich, UK area needs it.

Last edited by Guinnesstain; 04-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Guinnesstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
voxmagna

Because there are 4 glow plugs on the TDi and it is quite common to find 1 dead after some years or miles, so you should consider replacing all of them at the same time. From memory they are the Bosch very long fast heating sort and quite expensive, best to shop around on price. 1 dead glowplug during warmer weather is unlikely to stop the engine starting and that won't be your main problem. However, nothing is always so simple: The same error could come if there is generally low battery voltage, it just happens that glowplug 3 was the first to be detected. There might also be an issue with the glow plug controller along the same lines.

Your problems are likely to have started after you jump started from a suspected flat battery - don't do it! . If you are leaving the car for a very long time (months), either consider using a small trickle charger (tender) 24/7 if you have a mains supply nearby, a solar cell solution, or disconnect the battery completely and re-charge it BEFORE connecting it back up.

A good battery starting fully charged should be o.k for 3 weeks, but check you don't have any excessive current drain when the key is off. A bad battery could easily self discharge over 3 weeks?

First get your battery back to a fully charged state or replace with new if older than 3 years. If you go away often, don't take chances with an old battery, fit the largest heavy duty battery that will go in the tray (about 80Ah). Connect the new/fully charged battery, clear all fault codes, try to restart then rescan to see if the same fault code goes away? Allowing a battery to go flat then jump starting can damage expensive sensitive electronic control modules but if that happened, vcds should show fault codes.

Last edited by voxmagna; 04-17-2019 at 10:59 AM.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Guinnesstain

Thank Vox, as always.

I'll get the battery on charge and look again later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
voxmagna

OK. PS: Glow plugs are in line at the front where you might expect to find spark plugs.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Guinnesstain

It's had a good charge all afternoon. I scanned again then cleared the codes. Tried to start the engine had success. Still had some faults on the dashboard but turning the steering wheel cleared them.

Scanned and cleared, scanned again. I have 3 persistent faults now. #3 glow plug (P0673) and Mass Air Flow sensor G70 (P0100 & P0102).

Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
voxmagna

The dash warnings always come on after a battery disconnect, but clear after a short drive.

Your problems are most likely to have occured trying to start with a near flat battery and jump starting. I assume after charging you are getting a good cranking speed, because a battery can have a dead cell (low voltage) and the engine may still start? As I said, if you suspect the battery is older than 3 years, don't cheap out hanging on to it. You could waste a lot of time and money fault finding when the battery is a probable cause. Eliminate the battery as a possible cause, then move on to resolve the faults.

Glow plug 3 fault may be real and that's easy to check and replace. The other fault would need some further investigation. It was probably put on by jump starting and voltage spikes. You now find out because you got the engine to start and run.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
Guinnesstain

It didn't start again this morning. Fitted a new battery. 80Ah like you said. Started first time.

Gonna look at getting the glow plugs replaced this week. Had the car almost 7 years and they haven't been changed so they are due.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
voxmagna

You can get a set of 4 Bosch off Fleabay for around 35. You can get no name brands as cheap as 12-15 for 4. IMHO I'd stick with Bosch Duraterm because a poorly made imported glow plug breaking up inside an engine is not something you want.

You should still check for current drain because even a new battery won't keep its charge left standing if there is a current drain.

Last edited by voxmagna; 04-19-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
mickjane2

Voxmanga gave you some sound advice about cheap glow plugs, I have found cheapo's burn out after a couple of months and they are a PITA to get at, so go for OEM and fit just the once IMHO. Another trick with the MAFS is to give it a clean with carb cleaner that often helps.

mick
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement