Warm engine wont start until cool - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #1
Neilius

Default Warm engine wont start until cool

Hi All,

Love this motor but in the last few weeks i've had a very curious problem i definitely have to get sorted out. So, late 2010, 2.0TDI with the crossrail engine, remapped by the guys at Jabba sport in the UK about 2 years ago and running a dream ever since (but thought i should mention it)
After about 30 minutes of driving once the engine is fully up to temp and settled, if i turn off the engine and try to restart it, it cranks fine, starts fine dropping to idle and then immediately stalls and the coil light starts flashing. I need to wait for the engine to cool and then it starts fine again. Once running its smooth as butter and not a single misstep whatever the length of the journey, as far as driving, idle, performance, power, everything feels and sounds perfect, no lumps or any reason to point at fuel issues or something more obvious (to my small brain anyway) it drives as sounds like it always has. It just wont restart until cooled. So i read that the flashing coil light is the actual engine management light warning, as opposed to the engine warning light? (odd!). I dont have a proper VAG just a crappy OBD and Torque App to read codes but its not showing any faults on that.
I did speak to one mechanic who speculated it might be a problem with the crank position sensor but that sounded like a nice labour intensive solution to something that may be simpler?
I should stop speculating (so should he) and ask some of you clever chaps what the next best move is for me?
All help and advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Neil
Neilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
aku-aku

Get some VW-specific diagnostics - VCDS or OBDeleven at least. Then you will get much more insight into what's going on by e.g. monitoring the live values, as well as seeing more fault codes that generic OBD won't show.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
voxmagna

Agreed.
Quote:
I did speak to one mechanic who speculated it might be a problem with the crank position sensor but that sounded like a nice labour intensive solution to something that may be simpler?
If that mechanic knew what he was talking about he would have suggested diagnostics first because with any intermittent fault, a proper scan would show the fault still stored in its log. Perhaps you came over as seeming more knowledgeable?

I don't want to get you worried because you are looking for a simple fix, but VW electronic engine management does have some safeguards to prevent engine damage in the most serious of circumstances. That's why there are warnings telling you to do something, and that should be to get it scanned first or invest in decent diagnostics tools.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement