Did anyone get a check from the class action settlement? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #1
rcboater

Default Did anyone get a check from the class action settlement?

In the USA...

Over a year ago, I got an email about a class action suit against VW about the defective timing chain tensioner in older models, which included the 2009 Eos.

To file a claim, you could provide proof that you suffered a failure, or had repaired the defect at you own expense. I had replaced mine proactively in 2016, at 74Kmiles, after the extended warranty ran out. I had spent almost $1100 to get the work done.

Last week, out of the blue, I got a settlement check for just over $1,000! This is first time Iíve gotten anything even remotely significant as a member of a class action suit!

To say I was pleased is an understatement! Iím hoping others here bothered to file the claim paperwork..?
Old 09-20-2019, 03:46 AM   #2
bockegg

Great news. This is what I plan on doing after my extended warranty runs out. Would you care to share in detail exactly what you had done to fix the potential problem? And thank you for sharing this.
bockegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
rcboater

There are threads on this site that explain the issue and the fix.
To fix it, I went on the VW Owners forum, and found a highly rated independent shop. I talked to the guy, and he was very familiar with the issue. I had him install the the new VW redesigned version of the tensioner. Dealers had quoted $1700-$1800 for that work, he charged me $1100.
On the day I picked up the car, he told me that a Jetta had come in the day before on a flatbed- with ruined valves/ head from a tensioner failure. $3000 to repair!