Nasty misfire and engine light came on -ooh err! - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
davidp
Owl Member

Default Nasty misfire and engine light came on -ooh err!

Driving home today car started to misfire quite badly. Then the yellow engine management light came on .
Drove straight to my VW dealer as its not too far away (they only serviced it last month).
Got attended to straight away and they plugged it in to the diagnostics. They updated to the latest software and the misfire went away. a road test followed and it came back

So they gave me a lift home and I left it in overnight for attention tomorrow, just typical as I am off camping in Somerset on Friday for a few days. Looks like if they cant fix it and need to keep it longer I'll be camping with a Polo as that's their standard loan car. Still my partner likes driving a Polo so she can drive me to the pub and back, small compensation though.

Stupid Eos she'll get a good tyre kicking when she comes back
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
Redimps

does the 2.0ltr T have coil packs cos they often go wrong on my sons R32
New Eos 2.0 Tdi sport. 2013,2014MY BMT, Salsa red, black Vienna leather, 18" vicenza alloys, CSC AUTOROOF, cruise control, RNS 510 with dab SAT NAV, winter pack, climate control 2 zone, driver alart system, under seat drawers, 5 year extended warranty.

Old Eos 2.0 Tdi sport, 2008, Silver Essence, High Spirit coth titanium black, solitude, winter, luxury packs, multifunction steering wheel, RNS 510, wind deflector, Cruise control, MMS(aux in), VW OEM Bluetooth Phone Integration.
Redimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Stephb

Send a message via MSN to Stephb

hmm sounds odd doesn't it for a pretty new car!

I hope you get it back in time, Snobbers is going into vw today too as i hear a funny humming noise coming from him last week

I also think my seals need doing again

i'll also get them to check the fuel gauge too as there has been a recall on them.

Steph xx
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Doolallygirl
Former Focus CC3 owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post

Stupid Eos she'll get a good tyre kicking when she comes back
Ahhhh poor Eos! (Try not to kick too hard - don't want to go breaking any toes and therefore you are out of action longer than your car!!)
2.0 07 reg Eos Sport FSI Midnight Blue, Black Leather, 17" Westwoods, 6 CD changer, rear parking sensor, wind deflector (with a proper carry case too!), panoramic roof with drop top (I know everyone has one of these but I feel very special!!) and one very attractive lady owner! lol
Doolallygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
SiJ2000

Just out of curiosity... What fuel do you use (grade and brand)... Sometimes this can happen with lower quality fuel...

The engine light will come on if there is some kind of issue. However, it can go out by itself if the issue was temporary...
SiJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
davidp
Owl Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiJ2000 View Post
Just out of curiosity... What fuel do you use (grade and brand)... Sometimes this can happen with lower quality fuel...
The engine light will come on if there is some kind of issue. However, it can go out by itself if the issue was temporary...
Thanks Folks,
I used sainbury's unleaded (normal octane) the day before. Spoke to the the dealer and the diagnostis say 'misfire on all cylinders' (gosh those computers are clever!). engine light came on and has stayed on.
So looks like a loan car for me and the VW experts will be called over to poke their noses in. I'll have to keep harrasing the dealer or she might sit around while they faff about saying technical things like 'yup, its a misfire alright'. I'll mention fuel and coil packs to them. Will let you know progress.

PS. Your'e right Doolallygirl about breaking toes maybe settle for a good finger wagging, grrr!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
lordy

Could be the supermarket fuel. It's not the same stuff that you would get at Shell or BP. I hear many people say that you see the same branded tankers filling up at supermarkets as you do at the major suppliers, but the major suppliers get a package of additives added to the mix after the service station tanks are full. Sorry, but I would NEVER buy supermarket fuel.
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
SiJ2000

I 100% agree.... Esso Super for me and thats it!!

I have seen engines taken apart after tests with different fuel!!! I can 100% vouch that supermarket fuel is a million miles away from Esso or Shell for example.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
davidp
Owl Member

Sorry Lordy and Simon but cant agree with your prognosis. I have been using supermarket fuel for the last 20 years in all my cars (diesel and petrol) and never had a problem, so its a big leap to suggest my misfire is directly related to filling up at the supermarket the day before. If that were true there would be thousands of other cars with the same problem locally.

That said of course I accept that you could be correct, only time will tell. Will keep you all informed of the situation.
All the best, david
Old 07-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
SiJ2000

What we said was more of a generalisation (not withstanding the supermarket petrol issues of london last year! )...

It doesn't sound like your particular issue is fuel related, unless it became contaminated somehow.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
neh321
Complete Carnut

I always used supermarket fuel in previous cars without problems. However, neither my local Sainsburys nor Morrisons sell 97/98 octane so I don't use them any more at all and have to pay that little bit more plus the extra for ultra-fuel, plus I have to give the money-off fuel vouchers from Sainsburys to my wife to use!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Doolallygirl
Former Focus CC3 owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neh321 View Post
I always used supermarket fuel in previous cars without problems. However, neither my local Sainsburys nor Morrisons sell 97/98 octane so I don't use them any more at all and have to pay that little bit more plus the extra for ultra-fuel, plus I have to give the money-off fuel vouchers from Sainsburys to my wife to use!
Oooh that's confused me, I've been using bog standard unleaded in the passion wagon for 3 weeks and never checked "octane" levels! Am I slowly killing my car?????
2.0 07 reg Eos Sport FSI Midnight Blue, Black Leather, 17" Westwoods, 6 CD changer, rear parking sensor, wind deflector (with a proper carry case too!), panoramic roof with drop top (I know everyone has one of these but I feel very special!!) and one very attractive lady owner! lol
Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
neh321
Complete Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolallygirl View Post
Oooh that's confused me, I've been using bog standard unleaded in the passion wagon for 3 weeks and never checked "octane" levels! Am I slowly killing my car?????

Probably not; it's the Turbo that needs 98 octane. Check the inside of the fuel filler flap and it will tell you what your car should be fed. Probably 95.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Doolallygirl
Former Focus CC3 owner!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by neh321 View Post
Probably not; it's the Turbo that needs 98 octane. Check the inside of the fuel filler flap and it will tell you what your car should be fed. Probably 95.
Thanks Neh321, I will sleep peacefully knowing I'm not slowly killing my baby!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:38 AM   #15
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolallygirl View Post

The short answer is NO for both turbo and non-turbo engines .

The long answer for your peace of mind - the engine management system [computer] includes a "knock sensor" which reacts to the effects of low-grade fuel and appropriately detunes the engine to avoid damage. The only thing you will notice is the performance of your car will be below that when premium petrol is used. The computer responds to the premium fuel by safely extracting more power from the engine giving better acceleration or, for those with a light foot, better fuel economy. Of course the performance decline will be far greater for the turbo engine.
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .

Last edited by silvershadow; 08-02-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: additional information
silvershadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement