Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again!

After a long time of researching, we finally find one 09 EOS Comfort that we like with about 40k miles. But I still have some questions that I would like your advice. Thank you!

1. I think the biggest concern of a 09 is the Timing Chain Tensioner problem. That car has NOT changed it yet and it IS out of Warranty. The seller asked the VW dealer that I can still add 3 yrs warranty for $2900. So my question is should I buy the warranty? Or should I use that money to change that instead? Is there any other known big issues for the 09 power-train like the Tensioner?

2. Is there any recommended place/website to buy the parts of the Tensioner Kit? What is a reasonable price range for the labor?

3. Since that car is about 400 miles away from me, is there any suggestions on buying a EOS from long distance? What should I pay attention before I drive 400 miles? And is there any 09 EOS particular things to look for when inspecting, except for the regular things?

4. Any suggestions on installing an aftermarket in-dash Navigation system?

Thank you for reading and I really appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We bought a 2012 Eos and I wanted an extended warranty JUST for the top alone. Anything else it covers is a bonus to me. Any major issues with the top and the warranty has paid for itself. The thing scares the hell out of me, LOL.

Chris

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Have you read the small print in the warranty? The reason I ask is the VW dealer wanted to sell me VW's Mondial extended warranty. But after a couple of my questions and their phone calls, they confirmed the warranty would not include investigation and fixing roof leaks.:(

It's worth getting a confirmation from the insurance company (not the selling dealer!) just to get peace of mind. Of course you can expect to get all the usual mechanical items, including ABS and roof pump.

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
At this point in the car's life with most of the bugs presumably worked out of it, I wouldn't pay nearly $3K for a three year warranty. As voxmagna's already mentioned, I don't think any will cover roof leaks. Some will cover the top's motors, pump and mechanical bits, but read the fine print, don't take the salesman's word for it. After you get the tensioner updated, put the difference in the bank.

For the tensioner kit, these guys seem to have the best price, $309 including shipping:http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3619
For labor, talk to a local indy shop that's familiar with late-model VWs. I've found most will use customer supplied parts. There are DIYs on the internet for the tensioner (I think I posted a link for one before). I can't see the book rate being more than four hours, but you'll just have to ask.

Don't sweat the drive back. Check the fluids, tires, and normal stuff you'd do before any road trip. Aside from the tensioner, the only other major thing for a USDM 2009 could be DSG problems, but that has a factory 100K/10year warranty (I assume you're not getting a 6-speed).

Call me an old fart, but I honestly don't see the utility of an in-dash nav system, factory or not. Hassle to update, expensive, etc. When my wife is on her own for extended trips, she's been happy with the free Android Google maps GPS navigator.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you read the small print in the warranty? The reason I ask is the VW dealer wanted to sell me VW's Mondial extended warranty. But after a couple of my questions and their phone calls, they confirmed the warranty would not include investigation and fixing roof leaks.:(

It's worth getting a confirmation from the insurance company (not the selling dealer!) just to get peace of mind. Of course you can expect to get all the usual mechanical items, including ABS and roof pump.
I bought a certified eos from a Vw dealer. One month later the top failed. I just paid the $50 deductible.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Can you explain to others what 'certified' means and is this with their multi point pre-sales inspection check?

Do you have a 3rd party insurance policy for repairs with VW corporate or some other company and who is it? Others local to you might find your feedback helpful.

In UK there are differences between 'dealers' although they all carry lots of VW branding. Some are authorized VW franchises and others are not. I think only authorized VW franchises can sell used cars with backup after sales protection from VW.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Certified in the U.S. Means bought at a Vw dealer and warrantied as a new car. In my case 2 years or 24,000 miles. The only difference is the $50 deductible. As far as I know,the warranty comes from Vw. There is a multipoint inspection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At this point in the car's life with most of the bugs presumably worked out of it, I wouldn't pay nearly $3K for a three year warranty. As voxmagna's already mentioned, I don't think any will cover roof leaks. Some will cover the top's motors, pump and mechanical bits, but read the fine print, don't take the salesman's word for it. After you get the tensioner updated, put the difference in the bank.

For the tensioner kit, these guys seem to have the best price, $309 including shipping:http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3619
For labor, talk to a local indy shop that's familiar with late-model VWs. I've found most will use customer supplied parts. There are DIYs on the internet for the tensioner (I think I posted a link for one before). I can't see the book rate being more than four hours, but you'll just have to ask.

Don't sweat the drive back. Check the fluids, tires, and normal stuff you'd do before any road trip. Aside from the tensioner, the only other major thing for a USDM 2009 could be DSG problems, but that has a factory 100K/10year warranty (I assume you're not getting a 6-speed).

Call me an old fart, but I honestly don't see the utility of an in-dash nav system, factory or not. Hassle to update, expensive, etc. When my wife is on her own for extended trips, she's been happy with the free Android Google maps GPS navigator.
Thank you for your detailed reply. It really helped me a lot! BTW, is the DSG warranty transferable to me? Or it changes if I am not the original owner?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for all your reply. I will definitely take them into consideration. Hopefully everything goes well and I will be joining in the EOS family soon!

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
Thank you for your detailed reply. It really helped me a lot! BTW, is the DSG warranty transferable to me? Or it changes if I am not the original owner?
It goes with the car, as it's a U.S. VW factory warranty extension for 2007-2009 model years. Sample copy of the letter sent to owners here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/VW-DSG-recall-warranty-extension.pdf (We didn't personally get one as our Eos is a 6-speed) VW did this extension back when there was rash of problems with the DSG; temp sensors, mechatronic unit, etc.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Means bought at a Vw dealer and warrantied as a new car
Thanks for the clarification. Now here in UK we get a 3 year 'Factory Warranty' on a NEW VW car, which means just about anything, including fixing roof leaks and new seals. But after 3 years the offered warranty in my case was the standard kind VW would offer on their non-cab cars. Of course the Koreans have been offering 5-7 year warranties on their cars for a while now.:(

It would not be unreasonable to exclude a window leak coming from a cheap foam seal which is considered a wearable item on cars like Jettas and Golfs, which is why I think leaks and seals are excluded. Basically if it is made of rubber like a tire and can wear out with fair wear - exclude it mentality! But buy a used VW EOS and it is full of seals (and maybe leaks!).

As far as I know, in the UK there is no VW used car warranty specifically covering the EOS for seals and roof leaks, but somebody in UK come back with a correction if this isn't true.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4 Posts
After a long time of researching, we finally find one 09 EOS Comfort that we like with about 40k miles.
If the car is just over 40k, make sure that you get records of the relatively expensive 40k service, if it has just under 40k, anticipate doing a major service relatively soon. The DSG transmission service is particularly important to maintain the extended warranty mentioned above.

ECS Tuning has put together some information (link below) that may help you to get to know a few things about your new TSI engine. Fortunately it features several improvements over the earlier FSI, but there are still a couple of things to watch out for, such as carbon buildup on the intake valves, which is an industry wide condition affecting nearly all direct-injection engines, but is generally more severe on forced-induction engines.

FSIvTSI.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts