Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '15 Final Edition with less than 20,000 miles. I krytox generously when the seals were very warm(100 degrees outside) and left the sunroof open all day. Water leaks through the front corners. The vw dealership wants to replace the front seal. Anyone had this issue?

Hood Wood Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

Window Automotive tire Hood Water Sky

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
682 Posts
I would verify the front drains are clear. If the water appears to be leaking at the A pillars, then it could be the plastic funnel has come unglued from the drain tubes, which would require that you remove the a pillar covers and reglue

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
The drains don't stop the seals leaking, they just help stop water getting inside the cabin. Corners are particular weak points for seals, particularly around the sunroof and fixed panel. Sometimes you can warm seals with a hair drier and massage their shape with Krytox.

2015 is a fairly new vehicle. I've edited the OPs photo because it seems to show the seal surface shown marked and in other places and photos breaking up? What has been done (or not done?) to the seals since 2015 and could the wrong or lack of seal treatment be causing a breakdown of the seal coating? I'd have a good look over all the roof seals for this kind of deteriation elsewhere. I think the V.W proposal to replace the seal is the only solution once the surface coating starts to break up?

MY07 is still on original seals and I don't see this problem.

Hood Automotive tire Sky Automotive mirror Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2,555 Posts
I see this type of elastomer degradation every day here in the #1 UV exposure environment in the world thanks to the southern hemisphere hole in the Ozone layer.

I suspect the owners of this vehicle have left it outside fully exposed to the sun and never undertaken any seal lubrication with the appropriate lubricant/preservative {Krytox GPL105] on a regular basis - classic ozone-related elastomer seal degradation IMHO.

I suspect the seals are too far gone for refurbishing with Krytox GPL105 and their replacement with new seals and future regular Krytox applications will be required to restore the integrity of the vehicle seals with the proviso regular seal treatments are undertaken in future.

Reactions: mardonnavalta

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I krytox generously when the seals were very warm(100 degrees outside) and left the sunroof open all day.
The OP has tried to look after the seals but I'm just wondering now. The black seal rubber easily absorbs a lot of heat and in a recent heatwave I've noticed my seal surfaces looking dry but not cracked. Krytox contains no U.V inhibitor or reflectant. Just like a frying oil, when the seal is sat in hot sun, Krytox oil shining on the surfaces will cook like fries in a fry pan, taking the surface temperature of seals higher than it would do with minimal or no lubricant lubricant? I read many don't dig climate change in the States so sun and lack of ozone can't be causing the problem. :)

Must put some high factor sun lotion on my seals again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks silvershadow and voxmagna for verifying the VW dealership's solution to replace the seals. I live on coast of south Florida and bought the eos here. Sales records show this eos never left Florida. I just can't believe 2015 seals with nearly 20,000 miles would lose its integrity so soon. The previous owners had records of the eos maintenance services performed since the original purchase. It appears they just didn't lubricate with Krytox until I bought it three months ago. Parts and labor are $1,200 USD.

·
Administrator
2,555 Posts
Thanks silvershadow and voxmagna for verifying the VW dealership's solution to replace the seals. I live on coast of south Florida and bought the eos here. Sales records show this eos never left Florida. I just can't believe 2015 seals with nearly 20,000 miles would lose its integrity so soon. The previous owners had records of the eos maintenance services performed since the original purchase. It appears they just didn't lubricate with Krytox until I bought it three months ago. Parts and labor are $1,200 USD.
There is a specific type of owner prepared to neglect routine maintenance schedules for their vehicle and I am certain this trait applied to the previous owner of your Eos.

Unfortunately, you are now liable to pay the price of this neglect :(.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
In mitigation, we all buy cars wanting to do the best for them, but it can be too late if the PO has done nothing in the past. There will be more EOSs coming up for sale like this since they stopped making them. Sun, heat and U.V seem to be the killer. This is one of the latest EOS's which is supposed to have V.Ws improved seals. I've always been a little sceptical of their claims, but I wonder if they've changed the seal rubber material or its coating?

The OP posted a good photo of this serious seal coating failure, although probably didn't realise it at the time. It would be useful to the rest of us or those considering a used EOS if we could see more close-up photos of seals with this type of coating damage? The damaged seal here is probably one of the easiest to get to and replace, but others are much harder and need work rubber welding joins. The dealer cost of replacing them would write off the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I currently live in AZ and bought a 2013 3 years ago. I've been religiously treating the seals with Krytox but I also purchased a car cover for the top and use it whenever the car is parked in the sun: Top Cover Full Car Sun Shade

Not too much trouble to put on/take off. The elastic wears during monsoon winds but I'm only on my 2nd and it's definitely saved my seals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a garage but the contractors are using it until they finish the job. Great idea. However, the website doesn't have a EOS selection. Do you use the cover away from your residence? Thanks Carter for sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a garage but the contractors are using it until they finish the job. Great idea. However, the website doesn't have a EOS selection. Do you use the cover away from your residence? Thanks Carter for sharing.
Since the cover is designed for for tops only, it's a one size fits all. No need to worry about selecting a model. I do use it when I'm parked for extended periods, like at work. For short trips, I don't bother with the cover and simply try to look for shade, especially in the summer.

As a note, the latest cover I received was a heavier white vinyl with a fleece lining and not as pictured/described. When I called, they mentioned that they changed the design but didn't update the site. I love it but if you're looking for something very light, you may want to check before ordering :)

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
All EOS owners should buy and keep a half cover in the trunk. It's more important than the warning triangle if the windows jam open or the roof is stuck as the rain clouds come in. Mine has saved my leather upholstery several times when I've been working on the car roof open and had electrics disconnected for repairs.

Many cheap lightweight covers using Chinese silvery material have a small ply number . That's what I keep in the trunk for an emergency, but I don't use it for long period cover because the elastic won't hold it on the car. Look at covers sold for expensive cars like Porsche, you pay more but get a decent thick heavier cover, top vents and more plys. A heavier cover is easier to throw over the car than something light that keeps blowing away. Top vents stop wind lifting it up.

If you want something for longer term cover you need more weight in the cover and straps attached which go under the car, not elastic around the sides. I bought some nylon webbing to make my own ties which I throw under the body and attach to the opposite side of the cover. If you have to leave the roof open there's nothing worse than waking up after a storm and finding your EOS full of water and the cover in a neighbors garden!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts