Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guy
I’m in process tuning my 2007 2.0t fsi eos going for stage 2+, I want to get more serious for the next tuning stage so I was thinks swapping my 2.0t with a 3.2 or 3.6 v6 engine, my question is, if my manual gear box if is compatible with a 3.2 or 3.6 v6 engine manual gearbox, I will appreciate any answers, cheers!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello guy
I’m in process tuning my 2007 2.0t fsi eos going for stage 2+, I want to get more serious for the next tuning stage so I was thinks swapping my 2.0t with a 3.2 or 3.6 v6 engine, my question is, if my manual gear box if is compatible with a 3.2 or 3.6 v6 engine manual gearbox, I will appreciate any answers, cheers!!
Not sure if the gearbox is compatible but I would question whether such a swap is worthwhile, I would consider the following:-
2.0T APR stage 2+ running 98 RON fuel produces 285 BHP and 321 lb/ft torque.
3.6 V6 (R36 spec) produces 296 BHP and 258 lb/ft torque.
Being naturally aspirated, there's not much benfit from ECU tuning for the V6, there's a fair chunk of extra weight which might involve suspension upgrades as well as the cost of an engine, fitting and engineer certification. Appears to be not much benefit for the time and cost involved.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Trade in the 2007 FSI for a newer V6 and then consider what you want to do?

When you start throwing money for expensive parts at an older higher mileage car, you have to remember what you spend only works for as long as the car remains reliable or until it gets in a collision. Then all the work and money is lost. By the time you finish the work to fulfill your ambition and enjoy it, the car will be another year older. Owning a cabriolet is fun during Summer, but you lose a season of fun if you can't solve all the problems or get it finished by then.

You can study all the figures given by tuning companies who want your money, but higher tunes on a road car carry a risk of blowing the engine. Aggressive tunes may sound a good idea but on older worn engines with variable gas quality, the tune may not stay stable or has other problems with certain combinations of load and throttle. You are on your own trying to get that right possibly involving dyno testing because you moved so far away from stock?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found someone in US that rebuilds vr6 for racing cars there engines can support 800hp, so instead going for stage 3-4 and blowing up the engine I was thinks to swap with vr6 with turbo us already have a turbo set up, the only think I’m worried about is my gear box if is going to fit.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
If they rebuild an engine for racing they should know what they are doing if you are going to race your car? Bear in mind that figures on paper can be impressive, but a race tuned engine for public road driving isn't always the best driver.

One thing often forgotten by beginners wanting tuning mods is what should be done about transmission and all driveline components from the engine crankshaft to the road wheels? The DMF and transmission gearing are usually modified. It's no good having loads of BHP if gearing to the wheels stays the same because the new power torque charactersitics will usually bring a higher top speed and if you do nothing to the transmission you will get the same top speed at the redline. You also carry the risk of blowing a stock transmission unless it is designed for the increased horsepower and torque.

Ask your engine tuner/rebuilder what modifications should be done to the transmission and exhaust to match their race tuned engines.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found someone in US that rebuilds vr6 for racing cars there engines can support 800hp, so instead going for stage 3-4 and blowing up the engine I was thinks to swap with vr6 with turbo us already have a turbo set up, the only think I’m worried about is my gear box if is going to fit.
Not sure about the gearbox, if it doesn't fit, a box out of a VR6 Eos should fit, but these were never sold in Oz. Clutch would definitely need an upgrade, standard clutch is marginal even with a stage 1 tuned 2.0T engine.
A word of caution on the turbo conversion. I recall some years ago, on another VW forum, talk of fitting a turbo to an R32 Golf which, under the bonnet is similar to a VR6 Eos. I recall that there was an issue with fitting a turbo kit sourced from the USA due to differences between LHD and RHD cars, something about lack of clearance for some components. If you went down this path, it is likely that you may encounter similar issues.
To be honest, I can see this becoming a money pit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts