Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife’s 2007 Eos Climatonic Dual zone w/heated seats has gone crazy. It started changing blower speed and changing zones then shutting off. After a few seconds it turned itself on. Now it just alternates between on and off every few seconds.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I haven't heard of anything like this happening before, but if the climate control doesn't show any faults when plugged into VW diagnostics (link in my signature), the easiest thing to do is probably find a cheap used Climatronic panel, swap it out and see if it makes a difference. It's simple enough to do: pry out the radio trim, undo four T20 screws, and unplug the three plugs (the red tabs on the plugs need to be released outwards before the plugs will come out).

After you replace the panel, you will need to initialise the replacement panel, which you do by holding ECON and the face button until the two lights flash, wait for them to stop flashing, then start the engine, and when it has warmed up, hold ECON and the windscreen blower button until the two lights flash, and wait for them to stop flashing. It's easier to do these steps (adapt flap end stops and A/C compressor run in) with a diagnostic tool though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank’s Adu-Adu for your reply! Going on your suggestion, I bought a replacement Climatronic Control from eBay for $50. I don’t have a VW specific scan tool, but after reading Diagnostics 101, it may be in my future. My wife bought her Eos new and is her ”baby”. She has no plans of selling any time soon of ever for that matter, so having the ability to diagnose these issues would be cost effective compared to bring it to a dealer.

In the meantime, I try the cheapest option to start. I’ll keep you all updated when I receive the new unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got the replacement Climatronic control I bought from eBay and unfortunately its not an exact match. The only difference that I can see if the Econ button is labeled AC. The part numbers don’t match either. After doing an internet it is from a 09-10 Eos (1Q097044AJ) The part # I needed was 1Q097044E. The part pictured and described on eBay was indeed from a 07-08. I contacted the seller as I would prefer the proper one.

I do wonder if it would work and what the difference would be aside from the obvious (the Econ button is labeled AC).

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Econ button changing to AC is accompanied by a change to the air conditioning system, and you may find that the air recirculation doesn't work properly. To make it work properly you might need to make the same change to the wiring as I did for the mk6 Climatronic upgrade. So, if you don't want to go out and buy another Climatronic panel, you may just need some bits of wire and a few connectors.

After performing the re-learning process I mentioned above, before you dig into any wiring, you should check if the recirculation flaps work as they should.

You can check this by taking the glove box out:
  • switch the ignition off
  • remove the trim on the right-hand end of the dashboard, the thin plastic part to its right, and the plastic cover below that;
  • undo the three screws along the bottom of the glove box;
  • open the glove box and undo the three screws along the top;
  • lever out the plastic trim under the Climatronic panel and undo the one screw behind that;
  • slide the glove box out to the right and remove it forwards and down;
  • as you remove the glove box, unplug the light at the top right, the light at the bottom right, the airbag off switch at the top left; the sensor in the middle; and the air hose at the bottom-left-ish, in that order
  • now the glove box is out, use a large flat screwdriver to unclip the airbag off switch from the glove box and plug it back in before you do any testing
You will then see the recirculation flaps on the right-hand side. The flap you see should open and close when you press the recirculation button, and when you look through it you should also see that a big rotating flap should close as the recirculation flap opens. If I'm right, you will hear the big flap close but the small one won't open - which means the fan would be blowing hard and achieving nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AKU AKU how about you start a youtube channel so we can see what you are describing. You can monetize the videos and make some money from your efforts with the 884 post you've made here. Just say'n.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I wouldn't be doing it for the money, mostly because I don't think I'd get any ;) Even the guy who describes how to get to the sunroof motor on an Eos only got a few thousand views.

Honestly, the reason I haven't done any videos yet is because the work I did to get the mk6 Climatronic working completely was several goes at "try something, change something", and by the time I got it done I didn't want anything more to do with it! The satisfaction of getting the job finished was enough. That's how it usually goes - I can't remember the last job I did that went straight through with no hitches! And when you do something that's not as straightforward as it seems, the last thing you want to do is take it all apart again so you can show people how to do it.

I'll bear your suggestion in mind, though - next time I'm tinkering around with stuff I might have a go at making a video of some of the steps, to see if I can do something that people would benefit from. And if there's something you think there should be a video about that doesn't require taking anything apart, feel free to suggest that too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As suggested I purchased a OBDEleven gen 2 for my iPhone. After setting it up, I did a scan and it showed three passive faults.

01 Engine: “Lost Communication With HVAC Control Module”
09 Central Electronics: ”Climatronic Control Module, no signal/communication“
19 Gateway: ”Climatronic Control Module, no signal/communication“

I‘m still waiting to get my Climatronic unit exchanged for the correct one, but I am quite sure we have found the problem.

I will return to ask advice on setting up the new unit with my OBDEleven device.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think you should be able to see the mileage at which those faults last occurred as well. But that combination of fault codes points the finger at the Climatronic module (or perhaps the wiring going to it, but that's unlikely - I haven't heard of wiring loom issues around the Climatronic, and the connectors and terminals aren't likely to develop faults either - they're all multi contact point or multi quad square connectors with double locks on the plugs).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have received the correct replacement Climatronic control unit and would like to know the process for installing using the OBDEleven gen 2 with an iphone.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I use vcds so aku will have to confirm because he uses OBD Eleven. When I do a scan for faults and save the results I have ALL the coding settings for each module which I can refer back to. If I do any coding changes and get in a mess I can go back a few years to the original coding before I messed with it. Whenever you dabble with diagnostics or electronic modules and providing they can be read even when giving out faults, you should ALWAYS recover the module coding.

This is a life saver because the modules and coding for them aren't always the same in other vehicles. Also, if you get a used module and find after scanning the coding isn't the same, it can alert you that either the previous owners customization was different, or it's not come from a vehicle close to your year and VIN number. If it's a new module from a dealer, the factory default settings may not be correct.

Have you still got your old faulty module to plug in, save its coding and compare with what you have now?

·
Registered
932 Posts
As far as I know, mk5 Climatronic doesn’t have coding, so you can just plug it in and do the adaptation.
OBDeleven reads the coding of all modules when you do a scan and stores it in its history, so any coding that’s present is already saved. You can also check this without connecting to the car, as it is accessible in the app.

The processes you need to run are under Basic Settings - “adapt flap end stops” with the engine off but ignition on, then “A/C compressor run-in, automatic start” with the engine on and warm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where are basic settings on the OBDEleven gen 2 using the iPhone. I installed the replacement unit which has matching part numbers, hooked up and connected with OBDEleven and can’t find the basic settings. HELP!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Have you tried an internet search on how to use your diagnostics tool or searched for some YouTube videos? Learning to use it will be the same for any car it's used on? This link is a start and there are probably forums for enthusiasts of OBDeleven. There's something about basic settings in the link. Not all paid for versions of OBDeleven have all features, it's something to be aware of with subscription based tools and their payment models. Even vcds has different price levels, although these relate to limits on vehicle types and number used, not the level of information you get from them.

·
Registered
932 Posts
For basic settings, you need the OBDeleven Pro licence. (source) If you don't have the Pro licence you may not see Basic Settings anywhere (I don't know - I've always had the Pro licence).

Anyway, you need to go into the list of control units (button at bottom right of screen after connecting) then scroll down to module 08 "air conditioning", then you'll find Basic Settings for that module in there. Here's a guide from their website which was the first result when I googled for "obdeleven basic settings".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have the pro version and it is activated. I found the “basic settings” for the “Air Conditioning” and it ask for a channel number. I don’t know what to enter or where to go from there. I looked at several youtube videos and most are for the first generation and none that I looked at covered this topic. Here is a screen print of where I’m stalled.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking of the mk6 Climatronic. For the mk5 you just need to run Basic Settings on channel 001.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was able to get to the basic settings and channel 001 ”Endanschlaege Lerner“ and it failed immediately. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Have you translated that? It means learning end stops! When V.W use small motors on parts like ventilation flaps, the motor can move through a large angle. Calibration by software usually forces the motor to each end - flap open and fully closed, then stores the 'range' which is then used in the ventilation control system to set intermediate positions. For my 10 cents, your motors flap motors may not even be moving? But because you have changed modules or could still have faults, you are in the dark zone and we don't know where you are?

You see, diagnostics and even what aku can tell you mostly assumes a system that wasn't interfered with so your results may not follow a predictable pattern. Think what an expensive dealer would do. They would replace anything suspicious with a V.W part matching your VIN as your car was built, then run their diagnostics. If there were faults they would have a lot of confidence in the parts they replaced and go hunting for other problems? You expect diagnostics to solve your problem when they often provide supporting information which may or may not be truthful.

You may have to resort to some basic fault finding using an EOS wiring diagram and a multimeter e.g Checking flap motor resistances or voltages etc because controllers won't do anything if what is connected to them is faulty whether motors or sensors. This becomes highly skilled fault finding, not pushing buttons on a diagnostics app. If it was that simple, we wouldn't need experienced dealer technicians. IMHO that's where I would start but I suspect you think a diagnostics tool will just solve all your problems?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts