Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I suspect you think a diagnostics tool will just solve all your problems?
I did translate prior to trying it. Per aku-aku, I was looking for “adapt flap end stops” and the german translation “end stops learn” seemed to fit. This car has always been serviced by VW at the dealership. This is the first time I have touched the car due what this repair would cost at the dealership. The cost of a genuine VW new Climatronic unit on line is $450 and that is discounted. I’m sure the dealer would have charged quite a bit more, not to mention the diagnostic and installation cost.

The Climatronic unit that I just installed matches both the year and part number exactly. I have worked on vehicles for over 50 years, learning how to diagnose issues long before there was ever OBD2 diagnostic equipment. With all of the computer controlled components in todays vehicles, you can’t diagnose anything without them. Diagnostic equipment has never told you exactly which part to replace, only where to look. I’m In the process of learning a new diagnostic tool, in which is not intuitive and comes with nothing but a quick start manual. There are plenty of youtube videos or internet articles that give reviews or how to initially setup the app and a quick look at what is available within the app. There are few that are specific to the second generation OBDEleven using an iPhone that actually teach you how to use it. I know with this tool, I could easily mess up allot more then my original issue so that is why I am proceeding cautiously.

I joined this forum to get help with my specific issue from experienced VW experts and enthusiasts, and maybe even learn along the way but certainly not to be belittled.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Phak1,

Voxmagna is one of our highly experienced members together with Aku-Aku who have been helping our members with problems requiring extensive knowledge and experience to fix and "belittleling" is certainly not one of his responses to someone who has asked for help which Vox and Aku-Aku readily and comprehensively have provided on a regular basis for over a decade.

I am certain Vox had no intention of "belittleling" but rather he was trying to advise you fixing Eos problems involves a lot more than just reading a diagnostic unit. The diagnostics are simply a guide to aspects of the vehicle management systems that have indicated they are not functioning normally and require further investigation. The most important aspect is knowing what actions are necessary on your part to correct these problems and this is where you need to listen to those who have the experience needed to proceed with finding and rectifying the underlying cause of the error codes revealed by the diagnostic reports.

There is no substitute for experience in this situation and it is very easy to create additional problems if you do not have the knowledge, experience and ability to proceed without causing additional problems by inappropriate actions on your part due to lack of prior advice and guidance. You will find Vox and Aku-Aku are both knowledgeable and very helpful as well as being much-valued and respected contributors who have helped numerous members fix very difficult and complex issues with their Eos.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks @silvershadow - I might print that out and frame it ;)

@Phak1 To recap: you replaced a Climatronic module that we're pretty sure has gone haywire with a newer one that has the AC button instead of ECON.

What exactly was the error you got when trying to run the basic setting? If it was "marginal conditions not met", that means you didn't put the car in the correct state to run the test (ignition on, engine off). It's possible for other things to go wrong - ensure you have the latest version of the OBDeleven app to eliminate potential issues there.
Were any fault codes shown after you tried to run the basic setting?

Did you make the wiring changes as I mentioned in this post? If not, things may not work properly. (Don't rush into this, and don't cut any wires. Take the time to get the proper connectors, they're not expensive.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I exchanged the original Climatronic module from eBay (in which I did not install) for the exact like and kind. I have made no changes to anything aside from installing the Climatronic module.

The error occurs after I select “Air Conditioning”, Basic Settings, select Channel 001 then slide the Start to the right and it simply says “Failed” immediately on the bottom. It doesn’t even go thru any manipulation of the flaps.

The faults have changed since I first ran and posted them.

Original Faults
01 Engine: “Lost Communication With HVAC Control Module”
09 Central Electronics: ”Climatronic Control Module, no signal/communication“
19 Gateway: ”Climatronic Control Module, no signal/communication“

New Faults
08 Air Conditioning: Refrigerant pressure, lower limit not reached
09 Central Electronics: Climatronic control module, no signal/communication
19 Gateway: Climatronic control module, no signal/communication
46 Comfort System: Climatronic control module, no signal/communication

I do really appreciate the help. Thanks!

4FD5FAB4-11D5-45B2-A742-F8C2AB0048C5.jpeg

·
Registered
927 Posts
First off, are those faults showing as red (still active) or green (intermittent)? The Climatronic module expects permanent power, so you will have those three "no signal/communication" faults stored just from swapping the modules over. The fault for refrigerant pressure could be a stored fault that came in the memory of the replacement module.

Clear the faults so you know you're starting from a clean slate, refresh, and see what's still there. "Refrigerant pressure, lower limit not reached" would mean that the A/C system would need recharging if true, I guess.

As for the flap calibration not running, try holding the ECON and face buttons for a few seconds - the lights on them should start flashing. That should work even if the Climatronic module can't talk to anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK, I cleared the codes and rescanned for new and this time showed no errors on any systems.

I tried to recalibrate the flaps thru the OBDEleven app and it failed again.

I tried holding down the Econ button and the Face button and the lights came on, it sounds like the flap was moving for at least 20-30 seconds but the lights didn’t flash but stayed on. I waited at least a minute. When you say Face button, my assumption is the switch that operates the four AC vents on the face of the dash.

I rescanned but again found no errors.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The face button is the one to get air blowing at your face - i.e. the bottom left one in the cluster of four buttons just above the on/off button.

I found a video that might help you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you aku-aku! I followed the video and it seems to have worked. After it warmed up, I followed your steps for the A/C compressor run in by holding down the Econ button and windscreen button. It never flashed, but did changed the set temperature display to a different set of numbers (unfortunately I didn’t record what they were) and didn’t seem to do much else.

However, the Climatronic module seem to be working correctly. The AC comes on when I lower the temperature set knob, the heat comes on when I raise it and all of the buttons that change how the air is routed operate as expected.

I’m going to drive the car for the next week and see if the issue is resolved.

On another subject, using the OBDEleven app, I looked in system 08 “Air Conditioning” for basic settings to calibrate the “A/C Compressor run in“. After typing in channel 001, I was able to scroll thru the channels up to channel 010. I couldn’t find any basic setting for the “A/C Compressor run in”. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, but I‘m now considering the possibility that the app may not have all of the “Basis Settings” that the original version had using the Android platform. If you go on the website, there are several functions for the ios platform that are still in development.

I’m happy that the replacement Climatronic module seems to work, but disappointed I wasn’t able to use my new OBDEleven scan tool to perform the calibrations. I’m sure it will be invaluable in the future.

Thanks, aku-aku and voxmagna for the time your devoted to my issue and your expert advice. I’ll post the final results in a week or so.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well done - I’m glad you got there in the end.

I’ll admit I got caught out by a few differences in the process between mk5 and mk6 Climatronic. The mk5 modules are pretty basic.

You’re right that there could be an issue with the iOS version of OBDeleven. If you have an Android device somewhere, you can download the app and use the same dongle and the same Pro licence to see if things are different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don’t own any android devices but I may consider getting an older one to try out your suggestion. Thanks!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts