Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 VW EOS 2.0T BPY
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I just bought this car 2 weeks ago with a perfectly working top and of course, 2nd week it fails.

Upon pressing the button down, all 4 windows roll down, the sunroof opens up fully, and then I hear a whining noise and everything stops. Rear window frame doesn't budge and I do not hear the latches unlock at all.

I checked the pump in the back, removed the electric motor and hooked it up direct to the car battery and it's running like a champ. I had thought that the motor may be shot but it's good. The hydraulic pump reservoir has oil and it's fine. The pump area was a little oily, greasy, perhaps there's a small leak from the lines but I wouldn't think it would be the cause.

I hooked up to scanner and Hall sensor shows 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 and doesn't move at all from that status. I understand bits 3 and 4 need to go from 1 to 0 upon the rear window frame unlocking but they do not.

What's my next logical step here? I am a skilled DIY, very patient, methodical. If I can be pointed to the right direction I would appreciate it. Should I follow the youtube video that shows how to manually pop open the rear window frame and then hope to see a fault there somewhere or should I undo the pillar cloth on the C pillar and take a peak? something else maybe?

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
and then I hear a whining noise and everything stops.
It sounds as though the hydraulics is trying to move something that is jammed, until it gives up and the system times out because it can't reach the next stage? Anything likely to get jammed during a roof op. needs a hard look at because each time the hydraulics tries to move something and can't, there's a risk of hinge parts getting distorted. The more you can do by manual intervention and inspection without operating the hydraulics the safer.

·
Registered
2008 VW EOS 2.0T BPY
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds as though the hydraulics is trying to move something that is jammed, until it gives up and the system times out because it can't reach the next stage? Anything likely to get jammed during a roof op. needs a hard look at because each time the hydraulics tries to move something and can't, there's a risk of hinge parts getting distorted. The more you can do by manual intervention and inspection without operating the hydraulics the safer.
I appreciate the reply, I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 VW EOS 2.0T BPY
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FIXED!! for now until something breaks again hehe.

I follow the manual opening procedure as per this YT video:

I lifted the rear window frame up (with help of Dad) to it's resting spot on top of the roof and inspected everything. The bad part is I didn't find any thing wrong anywhere to the extent of my knowledge. I had to close the trunk back fully using a little trick both my dad and I tied a string on to those 'claws', pulled them back, and pushed the trunk down to close it. After that, I hooked up scanner to make sure the hall sensor with the 11 digits 'knew' where it was in the process so there isn't any roof sync problems. It was updated properly from what I saw. So I hit the roof open button and everything went well and tucked into place including the trunk. I checked fluid level on the pump, topped off a bit, and then proceeded to close the roof. Everything worked fine! I opened and close the thing like 5 times, the issue is not repeating. I wonder really if it just needed a manual 'nudge' like this and one of the rear window frame latches were stuck or something.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
I wonder really if it just needed a manual 'nudge' like this and one of the rear window frame latches were stuck or something.
Keep an eye on it, the fault may come back. Open/close the roof and watch the rear window, it should slowly drop down under its own weight into the open claws either side. It should do this smoothly and with both corners level.

·
Registered
2008 VW EOS 2.0T BPY
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, problem is back. Same exact thing. Sunroof fully opens, but the rear window frame fails to unlatch and I just hear the pump whining then stops. Could be an issue with the hydraulic cylinders not unlocking one or more of the latches for the rear window frame. UGH! Any other advice? (other than take it to a world renowned Eos professional)

·
Registered
2008 VW EOS 2.0T BPY
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I was able to manually unlock the hydraulic cylinders in the trunk with a screwdriver like I did before, only much faster because i didn't manually unlatch the upper window frame locks because I didn't need to. Those cylinders in the trunk unlatch the lower parts of the rear window frame. I then closed the trunk, and operated the roof and everything opened fine, and closed fine, then opened fine again. It looks like there is a problem with the operation of the those hydraulic cylinders. Something gets stuck and needs manual nudge. Damn it. Wish I had a service manual to read what can be done.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Wish I had a service manual to read what can be done.
Why don't you buy one? It won't tell you how to fix your fault, only how to take things apart and put them back together. Why do you think it's the hydraulic cylinders?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts