Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2008 EOS 2.0 TDI DSG 200,000 kilometres on the clock
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to put the roof down and it starts. You know, the sunroof and rear window connect together and the boot lid swings open but stops. You can hear the motors working and the dash displays “ Can’t. Convert top operation”

· Life is good... so far
1,222 Posts
Looks like he has the dreaded hanging side panels in his photos. They are hanging up on the roof liner. He can reach back and manually unstick them from the liner as long as the strings controlling the roof liner are not broken. Hopefully they are only stretched. Also looks like he is low on fuel.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like he has the dreaded hanging side panels in his photos. They are hanging up on the roof liner. He can reach back and manually unstick them from the liner as long as the strings controlling the roof liner are not broken. Hopefully they are only stretched. Also looks like he is low on fuel.
haha. I know I’m low on fuel but I got it to work. Cheers mate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
Yea, I caught that too, you beat me to it.

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
haha. I know I’m low on fuel but I got it to work. Cheers mate View attachment 24931
View attachment 24932
The panels can stick for several different reasons and if they are getting hung up on something, they can be adjusted for clearance, several screws on the back of the panel allows for adjustments. FWIW, since they are plastic, they expand/contract due to ambient temperatures, so if you run into the problem during hot weather only, that would be your cause, so you can adjust them accordingly.

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
How do I do that?
You should Google VCDS or ODB11, your going to need some type of diagnostic equipment for these types of situations. Your going to get that type of response if you post everyone of your problems without even doing a cursory search of the forum, the internet or YouTube. Your not going to run into any problems with the EOS that have not already been experienced by others, documented by others and followed up with extensive amounts of YouTube videos covering said topics.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
The OP may be happy for now. It's when it can happen again for any reason on the road and rains on the lovely interior. Then you wish you had done more careful investigation at the time using diagnostics tools.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The panels can stick for several different reasons and if they are getting hung up on something, they can be adjusted for clearance, several screws on the back of the panel allows for adjustments. FWIW, since they are plastic, they expand/contract due to ambient temperatures, so if you run into the problem during hot weather only, that would be your cause, so you can adjust them accordingly.
It was caught on the roof liner

· Registered
8,834 Posts
A vcds scan won't tell you why the flaps stick, only that the roof had an obstruction causing its operation to stop. Each stage of the roof opening sequence between two sensors is expected to complete within a defined time window. If something stops the roof, the system errors and stops the roof. That's why EOS roofs can't be repaired when they get crunched or distorted by obstructions. Only after that section time between sensors has elapsed will the roof pump stop. It has no way of sensing hydraulic pressure overload below damage levels.

If V.W had been clever they could have used the principle of window 'Pinch Protection' on the roof pump like this: At each stage the roof pump motor runs at a certain current according to changing hydraulic load e.g rear window and locking are lowest, but lid swing out and package lowering are highest. If this current value was exceeded, the roof should stop and try to reverse its operation once. If the reverse operation failed the roof operation would completely lock out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts