Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dwander
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I was looking and feeling around in the trunk I came across this very strong magnetic cylinder stuck on the passenger side frame that the trunk lid locks onto.
I am tracing down a couple of Hall Sensors that are showing bad reading and I would like to know if this magnet is part of the top system, maybe a flap sensor or clamp sensor.
Seems coincidental that I find a magnet like this while I am looking for a magnetic Hall Sensor. hmmm

I have yet to find a picture of where the hall sensors are. Just a general indication from diagrams.

1 This is about 3/4 inches long.
2 Chromed cylindrical magnet and it is strong. If i got any closer it would jump onto the measuring tape.
3 I found it on the back side of this passenger side frame arm when I was feeling around. Not attached to anything just attracted to the metal. This is inside the trunk looking forward. The rear window is further to the left.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
If you scanned the car and a sensor was missing something you should get a trouble code and sensor part number. You have 2 sides and you should be able to locate the sensor and compare with the good side, except on newer cars with 13 sensors. The roof probably wouldn't work with a faulty sensor, or you might get a trunk lid open message. If a sensor was using a magnet that was missing, it's state would be stuck and not change. I use quite a lot of Neodymium magnets for projects which easily get lost and stick to steel. The EOS uses Hall sensors of which there are 2 types, most have internal magnetic bias to detect the proximity of steel, not magnets. The presence of a strong magnet close to sensors could affect sensor operation if it shouldn't be there. Even more subtle, if it is a foreign part it could magnetise steel parts it was stuck to whose position is then wrongly detected.

·
Dwander
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks VOXMAGNA for the 'slow down' message.
I used your 9 page "How to figure out the roof without diagnostics. I rechecked the motor and it was seized from water ingress into the trunk. I did swap it out last year with one that LOOKED better but it wasn't working either.
SO I took the motor apart and thoroughly cleaned the guts reassembled, checked that it worked, checked the solenoids put it back in the car. I decided to check the fuse and THERE WAS NO FUSE. So popped in a 40 AMP fuse.
Ran a scan and everything roof related was red. Cleared the DTCs and rescaned NO DTCs at all.
Tried the center console switch and this happened.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Good result then and your magnet was a foreign visitor!

Water leaks into the trunk are really bad news and something to regularly check for and find where they came from. You were lucky to revive the motor. Usually the bottom solenoid closest to water and its copper coil windings get destroyed, or the solenoid seizes up with corrosion. Somebody deliberately removed the 40A fuse after the failed motor blew it. But then the sunroof shouldn't have worked because it's on the same fuse? Your EOS color looks like MY07 Eismeer Blue. Enjoy your top down driving.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts