Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on this forum something similar to what I'm experiencing.

I was driving one day and the car shifted into a lower gear and the gear dash lights began flashing. The person who experienced this similar symptom took their car into the dealer and found it was a solenoid that needed replacing.

After reading that, I took my car into the dealer and provided the service rep a description of what happened and the information I was able to glean from this forum. He responded with:

"The gear display issue is because of the transmission clutch packs. Unfortunately it’s not the gearbox itself despite having to pull the transmission to complete this repair. When these particular codes appear Volkswagen’s instruction is to replace the clutches."

I am concerned with this response as I have researched the symptoms related to failing clutch packs and it doesn't seem to fit the issue I experienced. Furthermore, the suggested repair is $2200. Should I trust that the dealer's service department is actually diagnosing the problem and coming up with a solution or are they just not understanding the potential solutions?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I read on this forum something similar to what I'm experiencing.

I was driving one day and the car shifted into a lower gear and the gear dash lights began flashing. The person who experienced this similar symptom took their car into the dealer and found it was a solenoid that needed replacing.

After reading that, I took my car into the dealer and provided the service rep a description of what happened and the information I was able to glean from this forum. He responded with:

"The gear display issue is because of the transmission clutch packs. Unfortunately it’s not the gearbox itself despite having to pull the transmission to complete this repair. When these particular codes appear Volkswagen’s instruction is to replace the clutches."

I am concerned with this response as I have researched the symptoms related to failing clutch packs and it doesn't seem to fit the issue I experienced. Furthermore, the suggested repair is $2200. Should I trust that the dealer's service department is actually diagnosing the problem and coming up with a solution or are they just not understanding the potential solutions?
I have just experienced exactly the same problem on my mother Inlaws 2010 Polo 1.4 DSG, but the clutch pack let go on the Motorway at 70 mph and it smashed the DSG 7 (DQ200) speed gearbox. I have just sourced a second hand gear box with clutch pack and DMF for £800 and will be fitting it tomorrow. I had the same problem back in 2007 with a Golf 140 TDI DSG (DQ250) and that badly damaged the gear box casing, both occasions there was no warning.

Mick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts