Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
The headlight units I bought were brand new made by Valeo, which I'm pretty sure is the OE manufacturer - search Ebay for Valeo. They even came with all the halogen bulbs fitted and the tilt motor ready for Plug & Play. 2 years ago they were 拢90 each, I see they are still on Fleabay for about 拢125 RHD - you will want LHD. I wouldn't touch an old used one and for MY07 pre facelift those selling used would be uncertain condition and much hassle to return - Big box.

Can't help with the rears I'm afraid.

Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
The headlight units I bought were brand new made by Valeo, which I'm pretty sure is the OE manufacturer - search Ebay for Valeo. They even came with all the halogen bulbs fitted and the tilt motor ready for Plug & Play. 2 years ago they were 拢90 each, I see they are still on Fleabay for about 拢125 RHD - you will want LHD. I wouldn't touch an old used one and for MY07 pre facelift those selling used would be uncertain condition and much hassle to return - Big box.

Can't help with the rears I'm afraid.

Thanks for the link.

Registered
That's just the outside Plexiglas surface but not so easy when the internal ali reflector has dulled and the inside surfaces have yellowed. Vitrtually impossible to take apart - many have tried and others have poured stuff inside, but that doesn't work. Comparison before and after was like night & day (well as good as they can be for tungsten).

Registered
That's just the outside Plexiglas surface but not so easy when the internal ali reflector has dulled and the inside surfaces have yellowed. Vitrtually impossible to take apart - many have tried and others have poured stuff inside, but that doesn't work. Comparison before and after was like night & day (well as good as they can be for tungsten).
Ahh, fair play. Mine was just on the outside. Don't think the previous owner knew what a bucket and sponge even looked like!

Registered
Yeh, I started with a few surface scratches which cleaned up like yours. Then I got 'comments' on mot about the internals being dull. By the time you have extracted these headlamps and as a precaution paid to have their beams set afterwards, buying new shiny replacements is a no-brainer.

Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
Actually, most headlights are pretty easy to take apart. I have taken apart quite a few different ones using my home oven as the heat source to soften up the adhesive that hold the plastic lens onto the bucket. This video shows a custom heat box that the guy uses to heat up a VW Polo headlight to do a Xenon conversion.

This video shows a set of custom EOS headlights. These were posted on Facebook but the owner was not the one who made them, so no video showing the construction.

Registered
I suppose you have nothing to lose if the alternative is buying another. I have a PID digital temp controller on my fan oven. I'd like to know the adhesive melt temperature, before any other part melts. I kept an old unit as a spare which I might practice on.

Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos

I have heated my oven up to 400 degrees F., turned it off and put the headlight in for 10 minutes. Temps and times shown in the video would probably be a safer starting point.

Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
Thanks, he has to work fast whilst it's hot. I wonder what glue he puts back and if hot melt stick glue is good enough?
Buytl Headlight Sealant is what I use. Same process more or less that is shown in this video, although you don't have to put it back in the over when everything is put back together IMO

Registered
In the US we have a product called 鈥淒eep Woods OFF鈥
A friend told me about trying it, really works on the green/brown stain that seems to accumulate. I鈥檓 no chemist so I can鈥檛 tell you what it does to the plastic or your health if you are pregnant and living in California. Your mileage well vary! But I will say it made my 15 year old headlight plastic look like 5 year old headlight plastic!.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts