Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Volkswagen Eos Highline
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm about to purchase a second set of rims and (winter) tires for my Eos. I figured I would try to install TPMS sensors as I have with previous vehicles, but I am struggling to find part numbers so I can purchase proper OEM sensors or something equivalent. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
EOS doesn't have wheel sensors. The system works off the wheel rotation speed as a calculated (relevant) value to the other wheels.

So, good news, you can purchase your new wheels and tyres, and mount em up. You will most likely get a low pressure warning sometime after driving on the new set as the system likes to be reset following wheels being removed.

Oz

·
Administrator
2,565 Posts
EOS doesn't have wheel sensors. The system works off the wheel rotation speed as a calculated (relevant) value to the other wheels.

So, good news, you can purchase your new wheels and tyres, and mount em up. You will most likely get a low pressure warning sometime after driving on the new set as the system likes to be reset following wheels being removed.

Oz
VW used different tyre pressure warning systems for different countries - the US and Canada use a different system based on sensors fitted to each wheel whilst the Australian system works off the ABS system if my memory is correct.

Reactions: voxmagna

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Yes I discovered this and it can vary with your model spec. E.g lowlines like MY07 have the cheaper no sensor system that uses the existing ABS wheel speed sensors - I find it works very well. But they fitted the advanced TPMS to highline models which have limited battery life, sensors inside each wheel and a wireless bluetooth link.

If your dash display can show actual tire pressures, then you have the advanced TPMS system fitted.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
Hey all,

I'm about to purchase a second set of rims and (winter) tires for my Eos. I figured I would try to install TPMS sensors as I have with previous vehicles, but I am struggling to find part numbers so I can purchase proper OEM sensors or something equivalent. Any help would be appreciated!
As Vox mentioned, there are two different types of sensors. Early EOS's just show a TPMS icon in the dash when one of the tires is low, it does not tell you which tire. Later model TPMS sensors display in your MFD which tire(s) are low. I don't know if this change happened in 2010 or during the facelift of 2011.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could this possibly explain why some cars have the reset button in the glovebox and others on a console button?? If it's a 2010 and UK / Australian cars are the same then, like ours, it's an ABS system (button in glovebox).

As a thought, anyone out there with a wheels sensor system - is your reset button on the console??

Oz

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
Could this possibly explain why some cars have the reset button in the glovebox and others on a console button?? If it's a 2010 and UK / Australian cars are the same then, like ours, it's an ABS system (button in glovebox).

As a thought, anyone out there with a wheels sensor system - is your reset button on the console??

Oz
The presence of the SET button is market dependent. Pre face lift cars in the US do not have a SET button. I don't know exactly when this was included in the EOS for the US, but I scanned through a PDF of a 2013 owners manual and it does mention a SET button.

I have also heard that the ESC button on the center console serves to reset the TPMS, by holding it down till you hear a beep. I have not tested this though, so can't confirm.

·
Registered
2010 Volkswagen Eos Highline
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Vox mentioned, there are two different types of sensors. Early EOS's just show a TPMS icon in the dash when one of the tires is low, it does not tell you which tire. Later model TPMS sensors display in your MFD which tire(s) are low. I don't know if this change happened in 2010 or during the facelift of 2011.
I presume mine has the basic, older system that only has a low tire light as I have never seen tire pressures displayed on my MFD.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
You should be grateful for less complexity, batteries to wear out, and tire changers wrecking them. The only thing not on our V.W's is run flat tires. By the time a tire warning shows, the tire could be flat at 70mph. It's pretty sensitive to a couple of pounds loss of pressure, but I don't think mine gives an audible 'ding' warning and if it did I'd think it was the low temperature frost alert or something else. By the time I'd worked out the warning, the handling would start to feel odd and I could have chewed the tire up big time.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
You should be grateful for less complexity, batteries to wear out, and tire changers wrecking them. The only thing not on our V.W's is run flat tires. By the time a tire warning shows, the tire could be flat at 70mph. It's pretty sensitive to a couple of pounds loss of pressure, but I don't think mine gives an audible 'ding' warning and if it did I'd think it was the low temperature frost alert or something else. By the time I'd worked out the warning, the handling would start to feel odd and I could have chewed the tire up big time.
My TPMS sensor light comes on when the PSI drops below 37. Something I have to deal with every year when winter comes. I had my sensors rebuilt when the 3DSM wheels were installed.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
I didn't know I had the basic system until I had a tire changed and drove away. The new tire had the same pressure but because of the difference in tread wear, the wheel rolling radius had changed. I had to wait unitil I could stop and read the manual to work out the reset procedure. That's how the ABS sensor TPMS system works. There's a bonus - You get a low pressure warning and it also might tell you if your tread has worn down, unless you reset.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
I didn't know I had the basic system until I had a tire changed and drove away. The new tire had the same pressure but because of the difference in tread wear, the wheel rolling radius had changed. I had to wait unitil I could stop and read the manual to work out the reset procedure. That's how the ABS sensor TPMS system works. There's a bonus - You get a low pressure warning and it also might tell you if your tread has worn down, unless you reset.
No reset option for pre facelift cars unfortunately.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
I never heard of something inside the glovebox but I have the 'W' button just below the heater controls in front of the stick alongside the traction control button. There's some info here that refers to my (Indirect system) but says you need a scan tool to reset, but I have a decent button?

..and mention of the glovebox button:

That's the button I have but mine is below the heater controls.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
I never heard of something inside the glovebox but I have the 'W' button just below the heater controls in front of the stick alongside the traction control button. There's some info here that refers to my (Indirect system) but says you need a scan tool to reset, but I have a decent button?

..and mention of the glovebox button:

That's the button I have but mine is below the heater controls.
The "W" is for winter driving mode, so no affiliation to the TPMS system.

This is the info I found a while ago when I mentioned using the ESP to do a reset. I have not had a chance to try it yet, was going to do so next time the TPMS light came on. Inflating the tires to the proper PSI and going for a drive does turn the TPMS light off though.

Volkswagen GTI (2006 - 2012) TPMS Reset Procedure
Relearn Code: VW-4

Relearn Procedures: Relearn Following Tire Rotation/Replacement

1. Inflate all tires to pressure indicated on tire placard.
2. Apply parking brake and turn ignition to the ON position (engine off)
3. Hold SET (or ESP) button (located next to gear shift) until audio signal is heard. Audio signal confirms successful relearn.

**If unsuccessful, proceed with the VW-1 relearn procedure.

Relearn Code: VW-1

Relearn Procedures: Relearn Following Tire Rotation/Replacement

2. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off)
3. Enter the information center setup menu and select TIRE PRESSURE.
4. Select store.
5. SYSTEM LEARNING will appear on the display and disappear after several minutes of driving.

Relearn Following Sensor Replacement

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
The "W" is for winter driving mode, so no affiliation to the TPMS system.
Not for my EOS. Whilst not precisely a 'W' alphabetically, it is what most will recognise it as and the symbol that comes up on the dash warning.

Auto part Laptop accessory Wire Family car Gadget

·
Registered
44 Posts
Funny how much different engineering goes into the same car for different markets. In terms of design, parts (wiring harnesses), assembly, etc, how much did it cost to have that SET button in 2 different places!?!

I've never really gotten down to look at that button but I bet it's the same size as the console buttons. I might even look at moving ours as there's plenty of spare slots!

As for Winter Tyres, ours is a setting in the MFI. Again - how much did that cost!?

Oz

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
Funny how much different engineering goes into the same car for different markets. In terms of design, parts (wiring harnesses), assembly, etc, how much did it cost to have that SET button in 2 different places!?!

I've never really gotten down to look at that button but I bet it's the same size as the console buttons. I might even look at moving ours as there's plenty of spare slots!

As for Winter Tyres, ours is a setting in the MFI. Again - how much did that cost!?

Oz
Ok, so let me clear this up a bit.

The "W" button in front of the shifter is the winter driving program (ice traction switch) which adapts driving optimally to weather conditions. Torque is reduced when driving off to prevent wheelspin. I believe it also starts in second gear rather than first.

The Winter Tire setting in the MFI just activates a warning that dings when you go over a certain speed with your winter tires on. The +5 and -5 just set that warning to activate at a lower/higher speed in 5 mph increments. It would be different for you guys with KM settings.

Pre Face lift EOS's in the US did not have any TPMS Set button, either in the console or glovebox. I have read that the ESP off switch functions as a TPMS Set switch, but have not tested if that is correct or not. Facelift model EOS's in the US do get TPMS SET button but its in the glovebox. I believe the TPMS Set button was included, starting in 2013, thats what my data shows but it may be present in earlier facelift models, have not personally verified that.

The TPMS switch in the facelift glove box is completely different than the TPMS SET switch mounted in front of the shifter, at least on US cars. Hard to say if it could be moved to the console. If it were me and I was exploring that option, I would get a correct TPMS SET console switch and move the wiring from the glovebox to the center console and leave the glovebox switch in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good to know - thanks for the info. Obviously it doesn't get cold enough on a consistent basis down here for the "W" to be a hard setting but now I know what the MFI setting does (or doesn't do).

Re the TPMS button, good thought too. Might have to study it a bit closer. There's a ton of stuff about to get modified so what's one more thing? :)

Oz

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Just so nobody gets confused, ignores the dash warning that looks like a 'W' with an exclamation mark thinking it's Winter tires or something else and crashes, here's the page from MY07 that explains how my ABS based TPMS works. Different markets and different car builds can do different things and share the same cockpit warning icons. I haven't ascertained what 'Considerably lower' means yet, but I'm looking into it!

If you want to be sure, SET the ABS TPMS for the normal tire pressures you are using, let some(?) air out of a tire then carefully drive a short distance to see what happens.

Camera Camera lens Font Book Cameras & optics

1 - 20 of 23 Posts