Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I bought this car it had 27,000 miles, now I'm at 75,000. Just had it in for an oil change and was told that it is leaking oil in the back of the engine and that this is a common problem with this motor. This is from the VW dealer. I have done all regular maintenance since I have owned the car and I'm now concerned about the reliability of this car. The dealer is stating that this costs around $4000 to fix. Has anyone else experience this issue?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Perhaps I'll make your day and perhaps others will tell you it's a bad engine or it's what the Stealer tech. tells you is wrong?

I've had TWO V.W cars with the same problem oil leak at the back and both were at 50k miles. Both are TDis, but the same problem might apply to the others? Now you have to question what they told you because unless you have a bad cyl. head gasket leak, turbo or something else on the rear, the engine drive shaft seals left and right and split casings are more likely to leak than oil running down the rear center? It's not happened to me, but an easy fix sump cover leak can also appear to be at the rear due to airflow slip streaming.

Both my cars had an ABS plastic rocker cover. Their gasket is a thin squidgy ribbed (silicone/rubber?) thing and the tightening torque for all the cover bolts is very low. When I checked my rear cover bolts there was NO torque on 4 of them. Their design is poor. They have to use low torque because of the squidgy ribbed gasket and plastic cover. But what they should have done was used spacers under each cover bolt to allow the bolts to have a reasonable amount of torque on the cover, whilst not allowing the gasket to compress too much.

I went around tightening all my cover bolts and there was no leak afterwards. This was a lucky call but even replacing the cover gasket is no great shake because everything is on top and easy to get to.

The trick to locate oil leaks is clean off all traces of oil with a degreaser then either 1) Add a flourescent oil dye to the engine oil or 2) Dust talcum powder over the rear and lower engine parts. For the money they want I would ask for more details as to what they consider is the cause and if they aren't 100% certain, pay for either of the above methods to get more certainty?

Good Luck and I hope you save $4000.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello. I bought this car it had 27,000 miles, now I'm at 75,000. Just had it in for an oil change and was told that it is leaking oil in the back of the engine and that this is a common problem with this motor. This is from the VW dealer. I have done all regular maintenance since I have owned the car and I'm now concerned about the reliability of this car. The dealer is stating that this costs around $4000 to fix. Has anyone else experience this issue?
Its not really possible to confirm or otherwise their $4000 estimate, and I hope you're not expecting anyone on an internet forum given the above info, would be in a better position than a dealership who has physically looked at the vehicle.

For example, what to you/they mean "back of the engine". Its common but the 2l TSI can leak from any of the places (eg valve cover, sump, front main seal, rear main seal, etc). They're not known for blowing head gaskets but of course its always possible.

In fact you don't even mention if its the 2l TSI or the V6.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
If the OP has any doubts, he should get a second opinion and estimate from an independent service shop where he might get a cheaper quote? It's never a good idea to rely on one quote, whether they had eyes on or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not really possible to confirm or otherwise their $4000 estimate, and I hope you're not expecting anyone on an internet forum given the above info, would be in a better position than a dealership who has physically looked at the vehicle.

For example, what to you/they mean "back of the engine". Its common but the 2l TSI can leak from any of the places (eg valve cover, sump, front main seal, rear main seal, etc). They're not known for blowing head gaskets but of course its always possible.

In fact you don't even mention if its the 2l TSI or the V6.
It's a 2.0 TSI, 4 cylinder. I'm not looking for anyone online to validate a repair estimate. I'm concerned about the reliability of the engine and any experience anyone else has had with an engine oil leak. I consider the mileage low to experience an oil leak, which is where my concern comes in. I don't want to spend money fixing it if the odds are high that I will continue to have problems with this engine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My experience is that, while the engine isn't that reliable, the faults tend to be well understood and the parts required to fix them reasonable.

I can't see how the bill is $4000 unless they're proper taking the piss, or its a rear main seal.

I have heard rumours that some dealerships charge a lot, and/or are a bit rubbish at doing actual work on cars beyond the oil changes etc, but my dealership is great and I have a "special" labour rate (of $0!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts