Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so glad I found a help forum. I just received an Eos from my dad 2 days ago. It’s been his favorite car but he hasn’t driven it it 2years, it has 34,000 miles and he warned me that it may be difficult to start as the break pedal is extremely stiff when trying to start the car, low and behold, he was right, and now it will not go to the floor or start at all.All the lights come on ,but that’s it. Could the battery be dead because it’s been sitting for so long in a garage? It started the day before, but with a tremendous amount of difficulty,and, of course ,I have the top down...ugh
Any and all help would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't have automatic transmission, but my guess would be that, if the battery is low, there's not enough power going to the brake servo, which means that you can't press the brake pedal down far enough for the car to allow you to start it.

It's probably a good idea to charge a battery that's been sitting there for two years (the battery may need replacing, too), and it probably needs taking for a drive as well.

Welcome, and good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is definitely what I thought might be going on. It did not come with the manual so I’m not too sure of what battery to get, ugh. Do you happen to know what type of battery? I did put 200 miles on it in two days, to try and keep a charge going, it started yesterday, but I’d still like to know or even replace the battery. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
If the engine is running, the brake servo uses vacuum from the engine (model dependent) and the battery state would be irrelevant with the alternator running? If it was electronic in any way and electronics failed you would have zero or poor brakes. Car brakes are designed to be as reliable and as system duplicated as they can make them.

If your EOS has not been used for 2 years and a previous brake fault was known, the brake fluids and brake components need to be thoroughly checked (changed) for your own and passenger safety. There are other items that need checking including oil, tires that may have worn flats due to standing so long, also brake pads and rotors which may be corroded.

Don't drive the car with suspect brakes! As I replied to your other post, have the braking system checked by a competent technician and get a full service done, including roof seal lubrication. Once you know your brakes can stop the car, any of the other issues are less important for your safety and that of others on the road.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thank you. I have someone coming to look at it, and I will not drive it till he comes.
If the engine is running, the brake servo uses vacuum from the engine (model dependent) and the battery state would be irrelevant with the alternator running? If it was electronic in any way and electronics failed you would have zero or poor brakes. Car brakes are designed to be as reliable and as system duplicated as they can make them.

If your EOS has not been used for 2 years and a previous brake fault was known, the brake fluids and brake components need to be thoroughly checked (changed) for your own and passenger safety. There are other items that need checking including oil, tires that may have worn flats due to standing so long, also brake pads and rotors which may be corroded.

Don't drive the car with suspect brakes! As I replied to your other post, have the braking system checked by a competent technician and get a full service done, including roof seal lubrication. Once you know your brakes can stop the car, any of the other issues are less important for your safety and that of others on the road.

Stay safe.
also, absolutely no issues at all before hand, it’s mint condition with 30,000 miles. Only sitting in the garage for two years. Engines runs when I can get my foot to the floor, but still makes me nervous, and I finally have someone coming to inspect it. Thank you! I want all to be safe!!!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
A low mileage 'mint condition' car sitting doing nothing for 2 years can be in worse condition than a regularly serviced daily driver car with higher mileage. Unless you are a qualified expert technician, you won't have the experience to know what has deteriated. Trust a local genuine V.W dealer to check your car, tell you what needs doing to it, how much it will cost, its current market value and if it is in the mint condition you think it is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A low mileage 'mint condition' car sitting doing nothing for 2 years can be in worse condition than a regularly serviced daily driver car with higher mileage. Unless you are a qualified expert technician, you won't have the experience to know what has deteriated. Trust a local genuine V.W dealer to check your car, tell you what needs doing to it, how much it will cost, its current market value and if it is in the mint condition you think it is?
👍🏻,He is, so we are good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most casual owners do not understand how truly complex the Eos is and how easy it is to damage interdependent systems. Here is a reality check. It is possible to press ONE BUTTON and destroy the car. If you plan to operate it, the best thing you can do for yourself is to have it forensically inspected by a CERTIFIED VW dealer. Then all the liability for putting it into service falls on his shoulders. Even then, there are potential problems. I bought an operating in warranty Eos and, with strict instructions to inspect everything, it still took SIX TRIPS to the dealer to get it fully functional. Most, but not all, repairs were covered by the warranty. An AGM battery is far better than a conventional one for powering the Eos touchy electrical system. Now I enjoy the pure pleasure of an Eos where EVERYTHING WORKS!

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,256 Posts
This is definitely what I thought might be going on. It did not come with the manual so I’m not too sure of what battery to get, ugh. Do you happen to know what type of battery? I did put 200 miles on it in two days, to try and keep a charge going, it started yesterday, but I’d still like to know or even replace the battery. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!
The manual is stored in a little shelf at the very top of the glove box. Often thought “not to be there” but really just easy to over look. Check again... maybe you’ll be lucky and it’s there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The manual is stored in a little shelf at the very top of the glove box. Often thought “not to be there” but really just easy to over look. Check again... maybe you’ll be lucky and it’s there!
Thank you, checking for it now. And my breaks work wonderfully, everything does, I just couldn’t start it one morning. And my father( who has had it, just doesn’t use it any more but had things looked over by The dealership before he gave it to me, more like 3 months prior. It has been perfectly maintained. All lights come on, the engine starts, but I could not get my foot to the floor. I started it the next day and it engaged. I’m just wondering if the pedal is hard to push down? And yes, I will be taking it to a certified garage as it needs an inspection anyway. And it’s perfect. Literally looks brand new. It’s really the nicest thing I’ve ever owned. He , also, said, take it to a dealership, just to have a once over.. I’ll keep an update, as I feel if anything was said, it would be good to let other owners know.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Stay safe.
I agree with getting the brakes checked by a reliable mechanic. One of the only things I am going to miss about Charleston, SC is, Ottohaus of Charleston Chris and the guys that was honest and fair👍🏽Does anyone know a good Volkswagen mechanic in the Plantation and Ft. Lauderdale, Florida area?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
The OP is leading a bit of a dance. Advice tries to be informative and benefit others. I can't add any more to the discussion as everything seems 'perfect' now? Please don't follow behind me in your perfect car if you can't stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so just an update on this thread,
I just came back from the VW dealership that my eos has been to since 2013. I had service done and all came back perfect. Meaning the breaks. They reset something on the diagnostic test I also had done. Car is sound and I’m thankful for the advice to take it to the dealership . I’m FULLY aware this is where she should go from now on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts