Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to replace the current factory light bulbs for high and low beams lights with brighter white color bulbs. I checked Auto Zone and Advanced Autoparts but information there is confusing. Those high-end HID bulbs don’t have any installation instructions. They don’t say if these HID bulbs require any other accessories. In another web site I found H7 bulbs fit my car but the connection looked totally different (the current bulbs have two poles and the other kind has flat ends). My questions to you all are if EOS needs additional accessories for HID bulbs, and what is the brightest non-HID white light bulbs in the market? Please help. Thank you all.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Whether you replace H7 with led or HID there is work to do. The brightest bulb is the one which is road legal and easy to change if it fails. Research HID, it's a complete system, not just a lamp you plug in.
The OE lamp holder is H7 and H7 lamps have 1/4" flat spade connectors.. In theory an aftermarket led will just plug in, but it needs decent cooling and may report lamp fail errors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whether you replace H7 with led or HID there is work to do. The brightest bulb is the one which is road legal and easy to change if it fails. Research HID, it's a complete system, not just a lamp you plug in.
The OE lamp holder is H7 and H7 lamps have 1/4" flat spade connectors.. In theory an aftermarket led will just plug in, but it needs decent cooling and may report lamp fail errors.
Thank you so much. I found this H7 and not sure if it works. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DQ93PN...-9cd2-d857565de59d&tag=osram_sylvania_csus-20

·
Life is good... so far
1,214 Posts
If you want to stick so H7 bulbs, Sylvania/Philips/Osram and PIAA have some High-end Halogen bulbs which will be plug direct plug and play. Since you already have LED DRLs, these would give you no errors and decent useage life. Sylvania has some Silverstar Xenon series bulbs that might give you the brightness and color temp you seek. These are also a filament style bulb. Next up would be LED bulbs. Assuming you have no fitment issues, you still might have error problems. Last up are HIDs. If you stick with 35 watt series bulbs there would be a small amount of wiring/installation to do, but they will be brighter and available in 5000-6000 degree light color temperature. For the high beam you could opt for LED. this would give all lights that are close in color appearance.

Reactions: RFLI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. I still don’t understand what ‘error’ means here. Does it mean if I install LED bulbs, they won’t be turned on and have to be taken down? I found these H7 bulbs on Amazon. I wonder if they fit the EOS:
BUPOLSG H7 LED Headlights Bulb 6500K Cool White,60W 12000LM 16 CSP chips 360% Extremely Brighter Headlight Bulbs for Cars Trucks&Motos,1:1 Mini All-in-One High/Low Beam Headlights with Fan,Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/hb7RTnv

If you want to stick so H7 bulbs, Sylvania/Philips/Osram and PIAA have some High-end Halogen bulbs which will be plug direct plug and play. Since you already have LED DRLs, these would give you no errors and decent useage life. Sylvania has some Silverstar Xenon series bulbs that might give you the brightness and color temp you seek. These are also a filament style bulb. Next up would be LED bulbs. Assuming you have no fitment issues, you still might have error problems. Last up are HIDs. If you stick with 35 watt series bulbs there would be a small amount of wiring/installation to do, but they will be brighter and available in 5000-6000 degree light color temperature. For the high beam you could opt for LED. this would give all lights that are close in color appearance.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
805 Posts
Thank you so much. I still don’t understand what ‘error’ means here. Does it mean if I install LED bulbs, they won’t be turned on and have to be taken down? I found these H7 bulbs on Amazon. I wonder if they fit the EOS:
BUPOLSG H7 LED Headlights Bulb 6500K Cool White,60W 12000LM 16 CSP chips 360% Extremely Brighter Headlight Bulbs for Cars Trucks&Motos,1:1 Mini All-in-One High/Low Beam Headlights with Fan,Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/hb7RTnv
LED's and HID's normally use less current than Halogens, so your vehicles diagnostic system will think a bulb is out as its not pulling the current the diagnostic system expects it to pull. So you end up with bulb out light on your dash, everything will still work. When going the route of LED or HID, you would want to get some that are listed as "canbus compatible" these would have built in resistors and/or resistor packs that draw a bit more power so your diagnostic system does not think a bulb is out.

FWIW, I run HID's on my main beams, LED's (with external resistors) in my fogs and all interior lights are LED (with internal resistors), everything works perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LED's and HID's normally use less current than Halogens, so your vehicles diagnostic system will think a bulb is out as its not pulling the current the diagnostic system expects it to pull. So you end up with bulb out light on your dash, everything will still work. When going the route of LED or HID, you would want to get some that are listed as "canbus compatible" these would have built in resistors and/or resistor packs that draw a bit more power so your diagnostic system does not think a bulb is out.

FWIW, I run HID's on my main beams, LED's (with external resistors) in my fogs and all interior lights are LED (with internal resistors), everything works perfectly.
Thank you so much! This is really helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much! This is really helpful.
I found the right H7 LED bulbs and successfully replaced high beam bulbs on both side. No error code from the car system. However, I had hard time to get the old bulbs out from low beam lights. The base holding the bulb seems different from high beam lights and I can not turn or pull it. If anybody can give me some instructions, it would be so helpful. I can not find on YouTube either. Thank you so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts