Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet to read or see a 3.2 V6 out there?
Are there any out there or has most opted for the new BMW or gone audi a4 due to price?

REgards

·
Registered
113 Posts
i think a couple of people in aberdeen have the v6 but only seen one about though - was black with the red leather and looked pretty good!

·
Registered
113 Posts
lol wouldn't surprise me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eos 3.2 V6

Greetings

Laura:

I drove and tested the 2.0T and it seemed okay. The 3.2 has much more grunt w/o a timing belt and features unavailable with the 2.0T.

In addition I really wanted the HID headlights that turn up 15 degrees with a "corner" light feature as well. The Technology Package also includes a series of parking sensors in the rear bumper.

The 3.2 V6 comes standard with Climate control, DSG and a windblocker too!

Dollar for dollar it worked out better in my opinion. The mileage differential seems to small to push us into the 2.0T.

BTW, did I mention I REALLY like the power!

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
98 Posts
Shy hand up...picking up my V6 on friday:eek:
There was only about £1,200 difference between the 2.0T with all I wanted and the 3.2, so I bit me lip and jumped.
I had the Audi 3.2 Q conv. configured, and was just about to order it, when I drove the Eos. The Audi has the edge in a few ways, but I intend to tour and don't fancy someone using a blade as a spare key. And the sun/cloudroof? A big plus point for me. I'm also hoping that the extra weight of the engine balances the topdown weight even better.
If anybody is interested, I'll post my (unbiased?) opinions next week.
Island Grey, deep red nappa leather, DSG+paddles, 2 zone climate, Bi-xenons, 18" Chicagos, dvd satnav, usb, heated 12 way seats, dusk/rain/park sensors, wish I'd gone for the Dynaudio, chickened out, tried to order it later, but too late. I was grinning like a kid typing there, so I'll stop.
John

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah i take your point about it! does sound really good and it was the same with me.....all my extras are almost the same price as the v6 but decided it would more than likely cost me a fortune to insure because of my age! actually not too bad since i have looked into it though! oh well!

So have you got it? enjoying it?! :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ah, you guys with lots of petrol money! I cover 40k miles a year - the 3.2 is just way too thirsty, whereas the 2.0T gives you almost as much power, but sensible [I can get 45mpg on a motorway cruise in A4 2.0T].

Agree about the sound though, its an emotional pull [test drove a TT 3.2 before the Eos and it just sounded visceral when you poured the power on]!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lynne, yeah, got it friday evening, I'm having a great time, like a teenager with first car (no, being sensible and running it in properly!) I live right by the sea in the country with very twisty roads following the coast, and it really is a joy to drive. I've driven 4 wheel drives for years, including a couple of Cossies, and was a bit worried about all that power to the front wheels only, but ordered it anyway after testing the 2.0T for a few days. The v6 and the dsg are a marriage made in heaven, seamless, and I'm only using D mode at the minute. I said I'd never buy an auto but this is so good, I feel it's the future for quality cars. Really! Never mind the convenience in rush hour stop/start traffic, on the open road no matter how good a slick shifter you are, the system makes 'you' the perfect driver. I shall try to be more critical later!
Paul, you're right, but I make no apologies, I sold my business, don't need to work anymore, and all my driving is pleasure now. I'm not being funny Paul, I remember all those years! You don't go on holiday and try to save money. And you're on the button again about the sound. A chief mechanic I know said "It's like a mouse chewin' paper". But give it a blip, and....
I really shall try to be more objective next time, but my first impression is I made the best choice. I wanted a 'driver's' convertible, with all the latest options (and they're coming very fast this year) with lots of poke, great handling, a good gearbox (there is NO better), and four real seats, as I've one left in the nest. So all the two seaters were out, good as they are. I fancied the Merc conv, I very nearly ordered the Audi 3.2 quattro, the Volvo c70 has terrible overtaking speeds, and the Eos has a sunroof, which is important to me. I worked for years in gloom and I want light. I envy you Paul btw, I tried to order the dynaudio 2 weeks before build but vwuk told me it was too late. The sound is vgood, but I love my music and I wonder what I'm missing. Be pointless,
John

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh I envy YOU!!! Head vs Heart is always a toughie, but if you can, you must! Inkidentally I had a C70 [previous model] a couple of years ago and while I loved it to bits, it wasn't [and I believe still isn't?] a drivers car! Not good for twisty bendy roads - enjoyed the cruising but overall even the new one isn't near the Eos - and I haven't even got mine yet! And thanks again for the Dynaudio tip - I'm sure I've made a good choice now and will let you know what it sounds like [btw, when I did my test drive the only Dynaudio the dealer had was in the showroom car, inoperable due to being surrounded by metal! Now THATS how to sell a premium purchase!!! Dealers take note]

Also by the by and apropos of nothing - have an A4 Quattro and normally sticks like glue - today snow and ice all over southeast england, doesn;t matter how many wheels drive, its those rubber bits that hit the road, and after spinning around two roundabouts and ABS-ing across a main road I pansied out and came home just before I found that M23/35 and local 'A' roads all closed due to accidents!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
We were 7c and sunny over here today, took myself off with some good music and the top down. Stopped after 10 miles to put the windbreaker up, it funnily made a big difference to the tops of my legs, but the a/c does take a fair amount of tweaking to taste anyway. Then it was 4 hours of FUN (well up to 50ishmph fun) the standard satnav stereo even on two brief motorway sections was pleasingly good, at about half crank. I tried rock and some acoustic guitar (Nils Lofgren, age thing!) and different music/talk stations, and you wouldn't be disappointed by the basic setup, and it would certainly be enhanced by twiddling. I was prepared to 'add on' speakers later, but I don't think I'll bother at the minute. The extra £700-£900 odds for Dynaudio, if you work it out for the time you keep the car, yeah, I'd lash it out. My wife drove yesterday for the first time, she had a broken foot when I had the test car, and is smitten with the dsg and handling. She is extremely fussy (well... she picked me) and a very good driver, and said that it felt very safe, relaxing and she felt confident driving it. And that was in the rain, with some night driving, and a first drive in a strange car too. AOK so far.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
i got the 3.2

I picked up the 3.2 V6 on new years. the reason i opted for this one was the options. If i were to get the Turbo with all of the options, the price difference was about $1000.00.
I love it! I drive on the freeway with the wind guard up and the top down.
My fiance' is a big fan of Nissan 300/350 and still loves to drive the new toy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lynne, yeah, got it friday evening, I'm having a great time, like a teenager with first car (no, being sensible and running it in properly!) I live right by the sea in the country with very twisty roads following the coast, and it really is a joy to drive. I've driven 4 wheel drives for years, including a couple of Cossies, and was a bit worried about all that power to the front wheels only, but ordered it anyway after testing the 2.0T for a few days. The v6 and the dsg are a marriage made in heaven, seamless, and I'm only using D mode at the minute. I said I'd never buy an auto but this is so good, I feel it's the future for quality cars. Really! Never mind the convenience in rush hour stop/start traffic, on the open road no matter how good a slick shifter you are, the system makes 'you' the perfect driver. I shall try to be more critical later!
Paul, you're right, but I make no apologies, I sold my business, don't need to work anymore, and all my driving is pleasure now. I'm not being funny Paul, I remember all those years! You don't go on holiday and try to save money. And you're on the button again about the sound. A chief mechanic I know said "It's like a mouse chewin' paper". But give it a blip, and....
I really shall try to be more objective next time, but my first impression is I made the best choice. I wanted a 'driver's' convertible, with all the latest options (and they're coming very fast this year) with lots of poke, great handling, a good gearbox (there is NO better), and four real seats, as I've one left in the nest. So all the two seaters were out, good as they are. I fancied the Merc conv, I very nearly ordered the Audi 3.2 quattro, the Volvo c70 has terrible overtaking speeds, and the Eos has a sunroof, which is important to me. I worked for years in gloom and I want light. I envy you Paul btw, I tried to order the dynaudio 2 weeks before build but vwuk told me it was too late. The sound is vgood, but I love my music and I wonder what I'm missing. Be pointless,
John

Sounds like you are having a great time and really enjoying the eos!

·
Registered
2 Posts
V6

Got the V6 just after New Year and we are really pleased with it.The only downside is that it is my wifes!! We do not think the petrol consumption is too bad. So far we have only done town driving but it is doing 24MPG. We have a Chrysler Grand Voyager which does 19MPG so it is an improvement for us. My wife, (who does not mormally get excited about cars full stop), feels that the luxury and enjoyment of driving the car far outways a few extra pounds spent in the petrol station. We managed to save a few quid on ours as it is an import. We have the same two main faults in that the water collects in the doors and the passenger window drops every now and then. We have got the same U.K warrenty though so as soon as i can get my wife and kids out of the car i will take it to my local dealer. They say there is a simple adjustment in the door to sort out the window but i have not spoken to them re the water yet. I think the bottom seal just needs modifying. The bonus of the import for my wife is that the back of the rear headrests are beige. Apparently they would be black on the U.K version so you cannot tell from the rear that the interior is beige. ( A woman thing i think!!). Overall we love the car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gary
You got me worried! V6 Grey, Red Nappa, back of the rear headrests are blaaack. I would've liked them red, but I'll have to check with my wife and kids that I'm ok as a man. Just kidding, it's a taste thing, and your wife is right IMO.
Back to basics, are you enjoying the drive on twisty roads?
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes it is just a great car. There is nothing about it we don't like, to the point that you can even be forgiving of the faults we mentioned. We managed to get the roof down last weekend. It was a nice sunny day and loads of people were driving around with their tops down, so we decided to go for a quick spin to test it out. Lovely.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Greetings

Laura:

I drove and tested the 2.0T and it seemed okay. The 3.2 has much more grunt w/o a timing belt and features unavailable with the 2.0T.

In addition I really wanted the HID headlights that turn up 15 degrees with a "corner" light feature as well. The Technology Package also includes a series of parking sensors in the rear bumper.

The 3.2 V6 comes standard with Climate control, DSG and a windblocker too!

Dollar for dollar it worked out better in my opinion. The mileage differential seems to small to push us into the 2.0T.

BTW, did I mention I REALLY like the power!

Regards,
Bill

I take it they opted for a timing chain on the 3.2?

·
Registered
11 Posts
3.2 V6

Timing chain on the 3.2 V6.

Have a look under the hood of the 2.0T, and then esitmate the cost of replacing the timing belt.

OUCH!

Regards,
duckster1

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good lord I know! I was hoping the 2.0T had a chain, but at least the maintenance isn't until 120k miles. It's the cost of getting to the belt that gets you :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
John (GurnyGub); just joined the club 0 first post:

So you got Island Grey with red nappa, right? I'm dying! Have had my heart set on either silver or white with red leather since I saw the first photos on the web (Chicago wheels as well). But in Houston this week I saw my first Island Grey (black int) and the Samakund (sp?) wheels, v6, dyna, + everything - and oh my gosh, what a classy color! It looks very different in different lights. But no red leather or she would have been mine on the spot! Can't get red leather yet in the US - so I'm going to wait. Also, may splurge for the v6; have not driven one yet, but the posts have been pretty strong.

Any chance you can favor us mortals (without an Eos yet) and post or email a (bigger) picture/s!!

Curt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts