Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi vox,

Good idea re boiling water . Hopefully get some better weather soon . It's a lot quicker job to remove the a piller seal than pull the door cards off etc in order to replace wing mirror seal so might give this a go between the rain / snow /

Re the roof bar removal mentioned above is that the only way to get at the seals to insert the tubing you mentioned.? As in is it possible to put the roof in the service position and get at the seals that way ? Just mentioned it as sometimes I get a c pillar leak after very heavy rain

Regards

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You can just about get to the open ends of the seals with the roof part open - the front seal across the screen top is the easiest to try first. It's more fiddly on the others because you only have a couple of inches of space around each end and you will have to feed it through slowly an inch at a time. The long side seals have a rubber plug in one (or both?) ends which you have to carefully hook out. You can re-use the black rubber end plugs. V.W don't put them on all seal ends and where they don't, I used a small blob of black silicone sealer nicely smothed over. I had a few drops of water come in from the A pillar corner after a day of rain when I turned a corner. I'm pretty certain it was water trapped inside the hollow seal over the screen up against the sunroof? The car is parked near horizontal and any water getting inside the seal would spill out turning a corner. I've had no water leak since I sealed the open ends.

The OD of thin walled silicone milk tube sold on Fleabay is important, but it's so cheap you can buy the tube in a few sizes to try. Too large and you will struggle getting it through. The tube and inside the seal need lubing first with washing up liquid. I attached fence wire to the end of a length of silicone milk tube. It can be a slow push and pull job to insert and it gets harder after half way. You have to be patient going an inch at a time towards the end. If the pull wire over stretches the tube, the end can tear off. Pull it back, re-attach to the wire and repeat.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts