Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding trailer wiring to my MY07 eos. I’m planning on towing a motorcycle tent trailer, under 600lbs. My question pertains to the sensing system to find overcurrents in the rear lights. I plan on using a relay based system, but it requires to use the factory wiring to send voltage to a relay. Will this small current cause issues, forcing me to buy the spendy magnetic system, or can a few milliamperes be spared for a relay?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I think to do the job right you can buy a V.W compatible control module from tow shops. AFIK this links the towing electrics into the car system without worrying about what loads what. The top is stopped from accidental operation when the trailer is plugged in and the reversing warning is inhibited. I think signals for the lights come via CanBus. This is the smart way consistent with smart V.W design.

Once the power and Canbus wires are connected to the module and the 7pin connector is wired to it, the module sees CAN commands for turn signals, brake, reversing lights and powers the trailer. I think something also shows on the dash display? I don't think you have to add relays and add messy taps to lighting wires - that was the old school way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is, here in the states, I don’t trust a tow shop to mess with my car, as noone seems to understand these cars. The vw module is an option, but my trailer will work around the convert top, and I need to add +12v back there anyway (while the car is on). Has anyone added the vw module? Can some features be disabled via coding? Most tow shops push the magnetic aftermarket systems on newer vw‘s, but the per facelift seem to be fine with the relay system. Plus my trailer needs a five wire as brakes are separate from turn signals. And that’s unheard of in USA cars.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
But fitting the V.W module if it works as I think it should, requires far less adaptation to the wiring than using relays, taps on wiring and unreliable Skotchloks? I've never looked hard around my trunk but I'd expect to find some wiring to take their module already there. Very few here do serious towing with an EOS although you are only looking to tow a light load. Try searching the caravanning sites for more info on generic V.Ws or Audi - Tigs, Golfs, Passats, Sharons?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts