Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have recently got an EOS, had BMW coupe diesel previous an used to put stuff is as short journeys, dpf etc. The EOS is the 2.0 FSI petrol, does anyone put stuff into their fuels at all on these or just the top range fuels can find. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Change your driving and maintenance habit:

Keep the tacho above 2k around town (probably mostly third gear!) and change the oil sooner e.g every 6K. No need for expensive longlife, but do use VW approved oil. If you start getting engine fans on after stopping you need a 20 minute run above 40mph for the dpf regen. to complete.

I put in an additive in 1/4 tank of diesel fuel about once per year then give the engine a 30 minute run at 60mph with revs over 3k.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Keep the tacho above 2k around town (probably mostly third gear!) and change the oil sooner e.g every 6K. No need for expensive longlife, but do use VW approved oil. If you start getting engine fans on after stopping you need a 20 minute run above 40mph for the dpf regen. to complete.

I put in an additive in 1/4 tank of diesel fuel about once per year then give the engine a 30 minute run at 60mph with revs over 3k.[/QUOTE Would that apply to a petrol engine.
Being a direct injection the valves never see the fuel to wash the valve, and carbon built up of the valves seems inevitable in higher mileage cars.

·
Life is good... so far
994 Posts
You could use fuel additives. The only effect will be to your wallet.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts

I put in an additive in 1/4 tank of diesel fuel about once per year then give the engine a 30 minute run at 60mph with revs over 3k.[/QUOTE Would that apply to a petrol engine.
Being a direct injection the valves never see the fuel to wash the valve, and carbon built up of the valves seems inevitable in higher mileage cars.
My comment on driving style is specifically for diesel (the OPs question) with dpf filter.

A gasolene engine with modern fuels burns much cleaner and generally is working at higher rpm than diesel. But only when running at its normal engine temperature without faults in the emissions system causing rich mixture burn and low mpg. Modern VW spec. oils are low sulphur and ash, but it's worth researching the ash content of different brands of engine oil sometime.

A gasolene engine is not filtering exhaust like the diesel but its CAT needs to be kept at a high temperature to be effective. CATs can be 'poisoned' by bad fuel or the wrong oil and is one reason why VW have recommend their own oil specs.

I used an additive in a gasolene engine when I had a marginal CAT performance fail annual test. I was sceptical about it and was surprised when emissions levels dropped 25% after using it and retesting. So a bottle of the stuff saved my about £500 and I repeated using it the following year. If you shell out on a few litres of industrial alcohol spirit added to a 1/4 tank of gasolene, you can achive a similar reduction in emission output!

After some research I discovered the main ingredient of these additives is Xylol which helps raise exhaust temperature to burn off carbon. O.k there are other things in the proprietary additive cleaners they don't reveal. Xylol (Xylene) is used as a thinner for many paints. I've added some to both diesel and gasolene injection fuel tanks with no adverse affects, but try it at your own risk!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Interesting. In UK we probably have better fuel, 95 RON for the regular stuff, 98 if you pay more and I think it's E5 which is 5% Ethanol. :) Bio fuels are not loved and V.W warn not to use them on their fuel caps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts