Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2008 EOS 2.0. It's headlights are oxidized and even after a decent polishing, they are not really what I would call excellent. Is there a reasonably priced headlight assembly available in the US? I know that there are some replacements (not VW, but Hella, etc.) available in the EU, but I have yet to find new replacement headlight assemblies for this car that are available in the USA.

Thanks!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you tried eBay? You might find some OWM parts.
I have. In the recent past there were no new part listings, and for a while only used (and not really good condition used) were available. Only recently, there have been some new listings, but they are still price skewed (kind of high). I was also concerned about scammers, given the price of the parts. One of the vendors selling the Valeo parts listed shipping at over 100 for the pair. Hey but yes, at least some new replacement assemblies are again available - that was not true 4 months ago.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
I replaced both my halogen units. I bought new in box complete with lamps and tilt motors. They were 'Valeo' brand which I believe are the brand used by V.W OE? At any time due to manufacturing and supply issues, you will or will not find them listed on Ebay. I paid around £110 each.

Don't waste time buying used units. They won't be pristeen and will most likely have the same dull reflectors, crazed front plastic or broken fixing tabs. The front of the car sparkled and looked like new after fitting them. :)

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
I replaced both my halogen units. I bought new in box complete with lamps and tilt motors. They were 'Valeo' brand which I believe are the brand used by V.W OE? At any time due to manufacturing and supply issues, you will or will not find them listed on Ebay. I paid around £110 each.

Don't waste time buying used units. They won't be pristeen and will most likely have the same dull reflectors, crazed front plastic or broken fixing tabs. The front of the car sparkled and looked like new after fitting them. :)
I thought the tilt motors were only on the Xenon units and part of the AFS system

· Registered
8,834 Posts
No. Halogens like mine have them with a manual roller thumbweel on the console, same as the cockpit instrument dimming control. They fit it so you can adjust the headlight aim downwards when you are carrying loads or have 2/3 rear passengers. I suspect the same motor and wiring is used for Xenon dipping but automatic?

I mention it because some new replacement headlights are sold without the motor or lamps. It's fairly easy to swap over the motor as long as the connector is wired and there's a small connector provided to attach to the motor.

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
No. Halogens like mine have them with a manual roller thumbweel on the console, same as the cockpit instrument dimming control. They fit it so you can adjust the headlight aim downwards when you are carrying loads or have 2/3 rear passengers. I suspect the same motor and wiring is used for Xenon dipping but automatic?

I mention it because some new replacement headlights are sold without the motor or lamps. It's fairly easy to swap over the motor as long as the connector is wired and there's a small connector provided to attach to the motor.
I see, this is something North American cars don't have. Euro Mercedes had this same type of adjustment but it was vacuum controlled. Do you by chance have a picture of the thumbwheel and its placement? I retrofitted euro headlights on my Mercedes and hooked up the vacuum controlled thumbwheel, so I might consider this mod for my car as well.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
My impression is you guys over there were fortunate to get Xenons which had auto tilting, but us poor sods in UK got the cheaper Halogens, unless we paid extra for the option.

My Tdi uses heavier fuel and I read somewhere that manual headlight tilt may need to be adjusted for rear passengers and a full tank load? But I'm never fully loaded so its never been a problem. I just make sure if I ever get a beam set done the roller knob is set in the normal detent position.

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
My impression is you guys over there were fortunate to get Xenons which had auto tilting, but us poor sods in UK got the cheaper Halogens, unless we paid extra for the option.

My Tdi uses heavier fuel and I read somewhere that manual headlight tilt may need to be adjusted for rear passengers and a full tank load? But I'm never fully loaded so its never been a problem. I just make sure if I ever get a beam set done the roller knob is set in the normal detent position.
If your referring to North America, Xenons were optional, the standard headlights were the Halogen but our Halogens did not have any tilt option like yours.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
I haven't studied the UK options. I have the EOS Tdi Sport but can't think why it would have been included? In fact the suspension is harder and probably explains why I've never had the rear sagging and had to use it. I would rather have had Xenons as standard.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but this YouTube video looks quite promising...

The vid. is interesting but it wouldn't have solved my problem. EOS headlights deteriate in 2 ways: 1) The internal aluminised reflectors go dull, and 2) Deposits encouraged by condensation form on the inside of the Plexiglass. Unlike some other car headlight units that can be taken apart, the EOS clear front lens is glued to the plastic body. Some have tried swishing alcohol cleaner around inside with limited success.

The best internal cleaning method was posted here (search): The complete headlamp unit is placed inside an oven or a heat gun can be used very carefully heating the edges to a safe temperature until their glue starts to soften and the front lens can be separated from the body. I think you can re-glue the assembly using a hot melt glue gun? I haven't tried the method myself, but you lose nothing trying if the alternative is replacement. Restoring the very high chrome polish on reflectors may be impossible if it's badly pitted, but often the problem is cleaning the inside surfaces of the Plexiglass lens.

For those who want to stick headlight beam deflectors on their headlights for foreign travel, if you leave the stickers on too long and do a light of night driving, you can leave the front glasses permanently heat crazed or damaged.

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
Most headlight lenses are attached with Butyl sealant and all of the business's I have seen that do headlight modifications also use this. I have done a few sets of headlights and have used this stuff also, without any issues.

· Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
920 Posts
Have you been able to successfully restore the original internals to good condition and avoid sourcing new replacements?
If your asking me, the answer is no. My EOS headlights have no issues, so there was no need to remove them or crack them open. I retrofitted DDM Tuning 35watt 5500k HID's into the stock Halogen projectors and the light output and pattern is excellent. I was considering getting another set to take apart and paint the internals body color and/or black and possibly installing some sequential LED's, but given the difficulties I have had just getting my grill color matched to my car and my forth coming Golf R brake upgrade, a headlight modification sits on the back burner for now.

I have though, taken apart and modified many Mercedes headlights. Most headlights made before 1995 (roughly) have lenses that clip on and can easily be removed for cleaning of the inside or cleaning/replacement of the reflectors. The clips though, get brittle with age and are easily broken. Most of the post 95 headlights have plastic lenses that are secured with Butyl and require heating to remove. Have modified numerous sets of these to install projectors/HID's.

Picture shows a HID projector retrofit into aftermarket W124 headlights that had clear plastic lenses (original W124 lenses have fluting and are glass, almost impossible to remove the fluting)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts