Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

First up, I'd like to thank all posters past and present for sharing their knowledge here. This forum has been an amazing source of information whilst searching for an EOS to call my own.

With that in mind, I went to check out a late 2009 model last week which ticked all the boxes but raised one concern: Whilst the roof seals were supple and not grey or cracked, there was green staining/signs of algae on them at the top of what would be the C pillar. I would say there was around 4cms worth of green tint heading along the seal towards the front and some in other directions out from the join.

Is there hope for a relatively easy restoration/removal at this stage? Is it purely cosmetic or is this stuff really going to eat away at the seals if it takes hold? I've read about applying certain chemical treatments to kill it off, but not sure how well this would react with Krytox.

A look over the service history showed that the seals had been maintained by VW, but clearly the interval or parking conditions were not ideal. The car was sat inside the dealership, away from the elements, so I'm unsure whether the salesman is just being careful or hiding something. The footwells and boot were dry (obviously, doesn't rain much indoors), didn't smell damp and the roof motor was pristine, no signs of water pooling down there.

Mechanical elements looked, felt and sounded good on the test drive, so it really is just the algae (and what it might indicate in terms of lack of seal attention over the years) that's holding me back.

Do you think it is worth calling the dealer and asking to go back to do a water ingress test or is it time to walk away from this one? The car would be parked outside so I will be pushing to run a hose over any EOS before purchase, just not sure if I am over-reacting about the algae!

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hi all!

First up, I'd like to thank all posters past and present for sharing their knowledge here. This forum has been an amazing source of information whilst searching for an EOS to call my own.

With that in mind, I went to check out a late 2009 model last week which ticked all the boxes but raised one concern: Whilst the roof seals were supple and not grey or cracked, there was green staining/signs of algae on them at the top of what would be the C pillar. I would say there was around 4cms worth of green tint heading along the seal towards the front and some in other directions out from the join.

Is there hope for a relatively easy restoration/removal at this stage? Is it purely cosmetic or is this stuff really going to eat away at the seals if it takes hold? I've read about applying certain chemical treatments to kill it off, but not sure how well this would react with Krytox.

A look over the service history showed that the seals had been maintained by VW, but clearly the interval or parking conditions were not ideal. The car was sat inside the dealership, away from the elements, so I'm unsure whether the salesman is just being careful or hiding something. The footwells and boot were dry (obviously, doesn't rain much indoors), didn't smell damp and the roof motor was pristine, no signs of water pooling down there.

Mechanical elements looked, felt and sounded good on the test drive, so it really is just the algae (and what it might indicate in terms of lack of seal attention over the years) that's holding me back.

Do you think it is worth calling the dealer and asking to go back to do a water ingress test or is it time to walk away from this one? The car would be parked outside so I will be pushing to run a hose over any EOS before purchase, just not sure if I am over-reacting about the algae!

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

It’s a nine year old car so I would suppose it should accumulate some algae if it hasn’t been cleaned thoroughly IMHO or are you talking about inside the car.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mick, appreciate it has nearly a decade of life behind it - I'm only talking about on the outside.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Thanks Mick, appreciate it has nearly a decade of life behind it - I'm only talking about on the outside.

It should all come off with a good scrub, I use a nail brush and the wife’s toothbrush (not really lol) an old one I use for such jobs.

Mick

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
My EOS sits parked outside and I get a recurring algae problem. There are chemists here who may help, but nobody would probably want to give advice and cause other issues.

This is how I approached it: Algae is organic growth, you can scrub away at it, but if spores have taken hold it comes back. It hates even mild acids like household vinegar (acetic acid) and bleach. Bleach is best avoided.

I just bought some 'Patio Magic' concentrate from the garden center.for my outside decking. It says it contains no bleach or acids. The active ingredient of most of this type of product is Benzalkonium Chloride (if that's a real compound). How much you might add to a bucket of car washing water is your call.

If you get persistent algae on your car you should be pleased you are in a clean air local. Since coal fire burning in U.K was phased out for clean air, algae and mosses thrive. I suppose moss and algae won't like sulfur based compounds which came from coal burning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both, that gives me some peace of mind it's a deal worth following up.

Will keep ya posted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I bought it!

After seeing a fair few more examples I realised in how good a condition (algae aside) the car in question was and at a very reasonable price. The dealer agreed to let me take it through the car wash and it was dry as a bone throughout.

Will be fixing up the algae once I source some krytox. Also looking in to swapping out the RCD 310 for a 330... all in all, very happy!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Update: I bought it!

After seeing a fair few more examples I realised in how good a condition (algae aside) the car in question was and at a very reasonable price. The dealer agreed to let me take it through the car wash and it was dry as a bone throughout.

Will be fixing up the algae once I source some krytox. Also looking in to swapping out the RCD 310 for a 330... all in all, very happy!

Glad that you found a good one with no leaks, now you will be able to go out and enjoy the good weather.

Mick

·
Registered
234 Posts
StuG-

Hope you derive as much satisfaction as (most) of us do, I looked for 2 years before finding mine.
Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts