Hi guys been looking around for a wheel repair kit for my 2008 2l petrol
I'm a bit confused on what to get
Have anyone else done there own repair using a kit
This is what I have done to mine
PXL_20210331_140503657.jpg

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
There are plenty of 'detailers' here that should be able to help. I repaired some BMW wheels once, not a quick job but I prep'd the dings with epoxy filler and rub down, then had them powder coated professionally. I opted for a silver gray close to original, but colors are an option if you want something different. Most of us probably get kerb dings, but yours look like some corrosion under the lacquer unless it's the photo?

·
Registered
2009 2.0 TFSI Sport, Black, Black Leather, Dynaudio
4 Posts
Look locally for an Alloy Wheel refurbisher, they normally quote £40-50 per wheel and colour match it. Obviously check for reviews of their work.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Those wheels are diamond cut, aren’t they? Once the alloy worm gets in under the lacquer (as is happening near the centre too) they need an expensive refurb to bring them back to their original glory. You may prefer to go for a simpler refurb and spray - even two-tone paint would be cheaper than redoing the diamond cut, and will be more resilient too.

I’ve got a set of wheels that suffered the same fate (they were scratched when I got the car, the alloy worm got to them after a couple of years) so I feel your pain!

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
How many wheels are bad? There are plenty putting designer wheels on their V.Ws and selling the stockers. Have you investigated finding the same wheels used in better condition, or even new smarter aftermarket? There are loads of OE stockers on Fleabay but you need to look very carefully at photos and try to get the correct size wheels from a newer vehicle. Just one example of many:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How do I go about a two tone ?
Can I do it myself with the right tools?
Aku I know 😭
That depends on how skilled you are, and how close up it needs to look good. ;) Rattle cans and spray guns won’t look as good or be as durable as a proper powder coat baked in the oven, but if you don’t mind that, you could do the job yourself.

Here’s a video of someone doing a DIY two-tone paint job on some alloys. You’d want to put a clear coat on top of whatever paint you use, of course. You will also want to find a decent video on how to strip the wheels back to the metal, remove the corrosion and fill in any scrapes, because preparation is key to getting a good result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts