Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all.

My VW EOS is a 2010 2.0 TDi - CBAB engine with a DPF. I was using quantum 5w30 long life 3 oil from the dealership but they’ve now changed to Castrol and want over £60 for 5L. I’ll pay that if I need to as oil is a lot cheaper than a new engine but I know that sometimes you can get the same oil under a different name. Anyone know of an alternative oil? I’ve changed to standard servicing rather than variable so the oil is changed every 9k miles or so.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Anything that meets the specification would be okay. I think its 507.00 for your car but you can check in the owner's manual section 3.3 (I have a 2008 so can't be 100% sure what a 2010 oil spec is).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything that meets the specification would be okay. I think its 507.00 for your car but you can check in the owner's manual section 3.3 (I have a 2008 so can't be 100% sure what a 2010 oil spec is).
Ok thank you. I wasn’t sure if that oil spec was the baseline spec but for long life / DPF etc then you need a higher spec oil.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I used to use Quantum and other V.W approved long life oils in MY07 Tdi. Having seen how much gunge diesels put into the oil and care needed to get good dpf life, I've moved away from Long Life and back to standard life V.W approved oils but change mine every 6K because I'm low annual mileage. Long Life oils can be a more expensive convenience if you are a high mileage driver. But since most cars are annually serviced when an oil change is a simple procedure for garages with suction tools, I can't see the advantages? If you search Fleabay you will find Quantum oil sold for a wide range of prices. Dealers will be most expensive.

There are standard life very low SAPs oils meeting V.W specs around. Chew on the following attachments:

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok thank you. I wasn’t sure if that oil spec was the baseline spec but for long life / DPF etc then you need a higher spec oil.
That's the spec for a car with DPF. Pretty much all Eos's have a DPF though, due to their age. In slightly older VWs, some with the same engine had DPF and some didn't, in that case there were slightly different specs due to the DPF.

507.00 is a pretty high spec and quite widely used so its okay to use and not too costly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I just need to be careful because I just looked at oil on euro car parts for my car and the detail says not for DPFs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ECP used to be quite good with VW stuff. But they expanded to try cover all makes, and are complete rubbish at now getting the right parts or service items. They clearly haven't invested in an IT system/database with the right parts lookup on a per-car basis (ie by reg plate) and the staff who had the VW knowledge have probably drifted away. I avoid them now.

GSF seem to be better but are still low-cost, low-effort, loads of potential returns style of parts supply.

For something as simple as oil, VW publish the spec and its pretty easy to ensure the oil meets that spec, so no real worries doing a bit of research yourself to get the right one. For some reason, some people like to bang on about "the right oil" for 1000s and 1000s or words on the internet though.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I just looked at oil on euro car parts for my car and the detail says not for DPFs.
Hope you do better with EuroCar Parts than I did with an online order
They delivered all items except my oil after a long wait. They never delivered the oil, I sent emails and a letter for a refund, no reply. Try a test call to their customer service helpline to speak to somebody. You get a recording message saying there's a 2 hour wait and its been the same since lockdown started. If they can't fulfill an order, they shouldn't take your money. If you order from them online I hope nothing goes wrong with your order or delivery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts