Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
They still make the Audi A3 convertible, A5 convertible and TT convertible though. I guess it makes sense - they have the 4 different main brands of Skoda, Seat, VW, Audi, having VW make something expensive/premium and taking market share away from Audi simply doesn't make sense - let that be the premium brand with prices to match.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
BobMar46:
IMO at VAG headquarters there may have been some hope that some Eos owners would move up to an Audi Cabriolet. I did.
But the difference is Audi has a ragtop. I don’t have the financial means to park a vehicle during the 7 months long winter we have here. My Eos has been my year round car & I’ve enjoyed it both summer AND winter. Not to mention that ragtops tend to get saggy & worn looking. IMO the romance associated with ragtops is overrated. Now if Audi would step up & make a hardtop convertible, that would be welcome!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
If you are looking at future opportunities to keep a cabriolet in your sales line up you have no choice but to look at ragtops and there isn't much scope for both. Why? Because the increasing burden of emissions reduction and growth of electric vehicles will require smaller and lighter vehicles. The rag top can potentially fit the bill and whilst we may mourn the passing of the V.W EOS tin-top, it leaves open the opportunity for a new EV ragtop in their model line up.

Personally with increasing crime rates I prefer myself and my wife to drive and park a secure vehicle which the ragtop is not. I was also surprised to learn from a buddy who bought one of the new Audis that after getting their roof crunched, the high cost of a replacement roof system was similar to the EOS. :confused:

·
Life is good... so far
1,003 Posts
Here in the US the market for cars of all types is dying as everyone wants some kind of SUV or truck. It makes no difference what type of convertible it is or who makes it. Even Mercedes is slowly pulling out of the drop top market here. Here it has absolutely nothing to do with fuel mileage or air pollution. It is all about what the motoring public's demand is, nothing more, nothing less. What doesn't sell, gets discontinued. Again I can only talk about what happens here. I'm guessing things are different overseas.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Again I can only talk about what happens here. I'm guessing things are different overseas.
Yes, things are a lot different when you are outside the USA bubble. In U.K and E.U we have cities now banning cars not meeting latest emissions rules, or allowing them for a charge. The days have gone for the big V6 3 liter Chelsea Tractors, not on fuel consumption but on emissions and I suspect manufacturers who used to make the big diesels can't get them through the new emissions tests without Ad blue. For the domestic market the future will be electric or hydrogen although the latter seems stalled, but there are still problems to resolve. Most of the big brands now have electric vehicles in their line up. I think eventually we will all be running around on electric hoverboards. :(

I guess if you are still pulling the black stuff out of the ground you have to use it up somehow? :)

·
Life is good... so far
1,003 Posts
Not a fan of hoverboards unless they build one I would never fall off of. Like the idea of Teleportation if they ever figure it out. Ford and Gm are quickly moving toward a full line of electric cars as is BMW and Mercedes. VW is as well. I like the idea but not the prices. Most practical right now a hybrid with a clean burn engine using propane , CNG, LNG, or even E85.
Most states here now have emissions testing for cars and light trucks and will not allow them to get license plates unless they pass. I don't know if you read the news, but our nut job president has decided that our emission and fuel mileage requirements are too strict and he wants to roll them back. He has disallowed the requirements developed by California that the automakers had no real issue with. He thinks it will make cars a lot cheaper. many believe it to be a concession to the companies pumping all that black stuff out of the ground.
I'm sorry this discussion has gotten way off topic. We started with the demise of the Eos. Seems we have gotten more onto the philosophical views based on where we live in the world than the actualities of why.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I see that Bosch have jumped on the Hydrogen band wagon.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here here Andy! @cb391 *applause*

Hope everyone will get out & vote in 2020. We need to reverse the disaster that’s befallen America since 16.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know if you read the news, but our nut job president has decided that our emission and fuel mileage requirements are too strict and he wants to roll them back. He has disallowed the requirements developed by California that the automakers had no real issue with. He thinks it will make cars a lot cheaper. many believe it to be a concession to the companies pumping all that black stuff out of the ground.

The automakers love any kind of regulatory change because it means they can design/develop "new" cars which render "old" ones out-of-date (because they don't comply with this week's regulations) and thus flog them to the unsuspecting public. Even better if they can persuade the buyers to trade in or scrap the old cars, one less secondhand car means one more sales opportunity once you've traversed the chain of various car buyers who can only afford secondhand ones etc

41 - 49 of 49 Posts