Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks again for all the input, folks. Much appreciated.

I pulled the rear speaker and plugged it into the front - sure enough, it worked. So it's definitely the front woofers. The part number is on the unit and it's 1Q0035454D, as I believed.

The cheapest I've found them new is $150 each. Looks like they're around $100+ on ebay. Plus shipping in both cases.

I contacted Crutchfield to see if they would make it right. They don't have a replacement fit, so they offered me $100 compensation. How generous.

Any sources or alternative options that anyone can suggest?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I bit the bullet and ordered two new woofers for $148 each from 1stVWParts. I've drilled out the rivets and removed the woofer from the left door. I'll do the right when I get the replacement speakers.

I've also ordered a Noname RCD330 187B (pre-loaded with Android Auto) and the SWC adapter from Aliexpress. An OBDEleven is already on the way. I'll use the OBDEleven to identify my CAN gateway and determine if I need to replace it (sounds like that is probable).

Aku Aku, is that a Samurai Jack reference? Or Crash Bandicoot? :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've also ordered a Noname RCD330 187B (pre-loaded with Android Auto) and the SWC adapter from Aliexpress. An OBDEleven is already on the way. I'll use the OBDEleven to identify my CAN gateway and determine if I need to replace it (sounds like that is probable).
Sounds like you're back on track. Some people just try their luck with the battery drain issue related to the CAN gateway - I didn't take my chances and installed a newer version. Hopefully you can find a used one on eBay or at a breaker's fairly cheaply.

Aku Aku, is that a Samurai Jack reference? Or Crash Bandicoot? :)
Crash Bandicoot, believe it or not. Well done for being the first person to mention it - and get it right :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Two items of good news.

First, I escalated the blown speakers up to the director of support at Crutchfield and he agreed to pay for the replacement woofers. Yay me.

Second, I received my OBDEleven and checked the CAN Gateway version -which turns out to be an 'L'. So according to the Ross-Tech chart, I should not suffer from the battery leak.

Things are trending better.

Oh, and I was rooting for Samurai Jack. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Some good progress.

I received the replacement woofers, my NoName RCD330 187B (with Android Auto) and the steering wheel wiring harness.

I installed them all, unhooked the negative terminal of the battery then reconnected (per instructions that I've read).

Overall, the results are positive so far. Sound is good, Android Auto works well, SWC is functioning. Yay!

A few issues that I've got to work on:
- The volume ramps too quickly and starts to distort at around 40%. I expect that I need to code the stereo with my OBDEleven to use the reduced output range. I've seen references to this, but I need to do some reading.
- The AM radio will not tune to some values, i.e., it adjusts from 1125 to 1134, so will not allow me to listen to 1130. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust a region code or something in the radio to address this. It's not fatal for me though, as I can listen to AM stations through TuneIn Radio.
- I'm getting a few fault codes, including one that says that the steering wheel direction sensor is not working. I get a yellow steering wheel light on the dash.
- The EBS "off" light (yellow wheels with squiggly lines) is active on the dash. Pressing the button on the console doesn't do anything.

Anyway, I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks, so I'll be picking this up again when I get home. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ciao

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have you driven the car since the steering wheel fault code? It should clear after about 100yds of driving, normally.

·
Registered
645 Posts
A few issues that I've got to work on:
- The volume ramps too quickly and starts to distort at around 40%. I expect that I need to code the stereo with my OBDEleven to use the reduced output range. I've seen references to this, but I need to do some reading.
Correct. You just go into coding on the head unit, and there are at least three bytes you need to set: one to tell it you have a sound system, one to set the speaker configuration to sound system as opposed to a 2-speaker or 4-speaker setup, and one to disable speaker monitoring. OBDeleven should label all these for you and they are the first few bytes of the coding.

- The AM radio will not tune to some values, i.e., it adjusts from 1125 to 1134, so will not allow me to listen to 1130. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust a region code or something in the radio to address this. It's not fatal for me though, as I can listen to AM stations through TuneIn Radio.
That is a region issue and you will need to tell it you're in the US - AM stations in the US are 10kHz apart, but in Europe and elsewhere they're 9kHz apart. Chances are you can fix it while you're coding for the sound system.

- I'm getting a few fault codes, including one that says that the steering wheel direction sensor is not working. I get a yellow steering wheel light on the dash.
- The EBS "off" light (yellow wheels with squiggly lines) is active on the dash. Pressing the button on the console doesn't do anything.
As paul_c says, these appear whenever you disconnect the battery and the car just needs a short drive to calibrate itself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Incidentally, the RCD330 is a genuine VW part - it's not no name. Cheers.
I had originally thought the same thing and was pleased to discover that I was wrong.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts