Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I will be going to see an Eos on Saturday. This will be my first VW and diesel car.

Is there anything I should look/ask about specific to the Eos?

It is a September 2012 2.0 TDI bluemotion tech SE, with 70k miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
968 Posts
You should comprehensively check everything to do with the roof. Many have asked similar questions on here, try the search function.

As well as checking roof operation (with the help of an assistant), you should get a piece of paper and try to insert it in the roof seals to check a good seal all round with no gaps, get a hose out and thoroughly douse the car in water while your assistant sits inside and checks nothing comes in. You should also check for damp patches and evidence of previous damp patches throughout the interior and in the boot, lift the spare wheel cover and check the foam box the pump sits in is dry, and check the pump looks to be in good condition.

That’s not a complete list, I’m sure others will add to it ;)

Reactions: Britgirl❤️VW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I appreciate it! Goin up in the morning so hoping to join the club by this time tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
When you buy private you can be quite limited in what you can see and do with 'sold as seen' deals. IMHO there are two things you can do and be prepared to pay some beans for, which given the possibility of something wrong and expensive up front, can be worth while. If you find some issues you have something to haggle with on price if you want to take the risk. If you have to walk away, the amount you paid will have been good insurance against buying a problem car.

1. Get a garage to do a diagnostics scan and pay for it. Around £50.
2. Put the car through an automatic car wash £6-8 This isn't a normal recommend for owners, but do it once and check inside for water before parting with any money.

Obviously check the roof functions work, there are no dash warnings and look for any water stains in the trunk, tools going rusty, or stains on the floor mats.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Checked it out today, I took it for a test drive, but I had some issues with the roof. It turns out that the cover in the boot wasn't clicked in correctly. Once that was corrected the roof worked grand, however, I did notice that there is rust build up where the boot meets the rear wing panel (at the top right of the black circle in the imgur image below) and it has been rubbing when it opens and closes. The passenger side panel that meets the boot also seems closer than the driver side. This has resulted in a large build up of rust as it has basically rubbed away the paint. The dealer did say they will seal all that, including all stone chippings.

The driver door was lower than the panels too. It looked like someone used the door as support when they were getting in and out of the car.

I did notice that there appears to be no seals roughly around this region between the rear window panel, and boot panel.

Is this normal? it seems odd that there would not be any here.

The boot was bone dry, including the foam box around the pump. But I checked the tools that are sitting with the spare wheel and they were rusted. But no sign of damp, stains, etc anywhere.

Should I worry about these mentioned above?

It is coming from a VW dealer, and they are offering a full years warranty, which includes the roof. Not a bad deal, but I want to take it for a spin with the roof down (couldn't due to the issue mentioned earlier) before I make my mind up. I have to make an appointment however to test drive due to covid.

Besides that, it is driving smooth, it is dry, including everything in the boot and hoping to get it if what I mentioned above is not something to worry about!

·
Registered
968 Posts
There should be a “furry” rubber seal at the base of the rear windscreen, and that should sit on the body to avoid issues like the one you describe. You should be able to inspect it by opening the roof to the point where the rear windscreen lifts up. My guess is that the rusting was caused by going over a bumpy road a bit too fast, hitting a pothole or something, and it’s not leftover accident damage. That said, it is worth checking that the two sides of the roof are properly aligned - if the gaps are different between left and right, you should probably ask them to fix that.

Given that this is coming from a dealer and their warranty includes the roof (get that in writing, explicitly, and check exactly what issues with the roof are covered), if it’s a good price then you’ll probably be happy with it. Check that the dealer has a technician who has trained on the Eos roof as well.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
It is coming from a VW dealer, and they are offering a full years warranty, which includes the roof.
In U.K V.W dealers used to use Mondial (a third party insurer) for their used car insurance which didn't cover all things EOS roof. It covered mechanicals like the pump or rams and possibly electronics, but didn't include solving and fixing water leaks or replacing seals which is most potential EOS problems. They use the same warranty policy for all non-cabriolet vehicles which excludes door and window seals and apply the same exclusions to the EOS.

Get them to contact the insurer and ask the question "Are EOS roof leaks and seals included in the warranty" or print out the policy terms for you. IMHO I think it's questionable if these used car warranties are worth it when the roof is excluded? By the time the dealer gets their commission they can add quite a lot to the selling price. I will often haggle the price down without the warranty, then look for a policy that might be more tailored to cabriolet roof faults.

The one thing you should get is V.Ws pre-sales used vehicle multi point inspection and report? I would expect them to have done a diagnostics scan in that, but ask to see the report. When I bought MY07 they said that had been done, but I still found faults. They then said Oh, we do the inspection after confirming the sale and taking your deposit!! So they had picked up the car (at auction or as a trade in) put it on the forecourt and waited for interest before doing anything. I made leaving my deposit conditional in writing that all inspections and reports would be completed and the car offered ready for sale - which is how it should be. If you have the reg. number you can check the dvla mot and mileage history.

The heavy EOS doors do seem to drop a little however much time is spent trying to get them perfect. The main thing to check is the doors open and close smoothly on the locks because when the doors drop too far, they won't go into the lock keeps smoothly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, I didn't see anything about furry seals, it was just an empty space, so I will question it when I see it again when I can get an appointment to view (damn covid). The roof is grand, everything fits where it should and operates smoothly. It is the boot that is not lining up correctly, as it is closer to the passenger side more so than driver side. They said they would fix that, alongside with the door. Speaking of the door, the door is locking, open and closing fine, it just seems to hang a bit which hopefully it just needs the hinges tightened.

When it comes to the warranty, the dealer did say that it covers everything in the first year. I will get a detailed breakdown of the warranty, and ask for the inspection.

Unfortunately, in Northern Ireland, we do not have a detailed MOT history with our checks as ours are done differently compared to the mainland.

For reference to the car, I am gonna supply the ad link.

You can see on the second photo where the door does not line up with the panels.

On the third photo, if you look closely you can see where the boot rubs, and rust has developed. I have supplied a screenshot below showing where it is exactly.

I am sorry if this is bothersome, this is my first VW, diesel and convertible, and I want to make sure it is not someone else's headache :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
2,345 Posts
Aralon,

My intuition is twitching concerning this car - the misalignment is a concern as it has probably caused by either an assembly problem during manufacture [unusual but rare] or the car has been subject to impact damage at some stage in its life and the repairer has not been able to obtain true alignment of the body components.

The "rusty" tools are also cause for concern - they might be a later substitution for lost/stolen original tools or an indication of past water leaks into the boot/trunk space. My partner's Eos is now 12 years old and the tools still look "brand new".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I will do some checks and see if there was any insurance claims or see what is being said.

I forgot that I took a photo the other day, and here is the missing seal I was talking about at the rear window. It’s the same on the other side.

This is the only facelift model for sale in Northern Ireland. Normally, I would just walk away with the issues so far, but god knows when the next face lift model will come up for sale.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
When you are buying from a genuine V.W dealer the best approach is to make a list in priority order and raise your concerns in writing before handing over all the money. See what has or hasn't been addressed in their pre-sale inspection, then ask for faults to be rectified? A shady dealer could just ignore you and sell to somebody else, but once you have pointed out defects, I wouldn't expect a V.W dealer to hide them from another buyer?

Having defects resolved pre sale is a better approach because parts prices and labor to them will not be the expensive retail prices you might pay later on and you will be testing their system to sell V.W cars without faults. Look at it this way, a thorough pre-sale inspection should be picking up things you with no experience should not find. However, you are buying a used car and cannot expect perfection. You may find they will concede on some things but use a 'fair wear and tear' argument on others. The forecourt price should have some wiggle room for them to put things right (preferred) or for you to offer a lower price and get it done yourself.

You can search here and get lots of advice or opinions on what to look for, but in the end try to get your concerns resolved by the dealer before handing over all the money. If the dealer is willing to co-operate, leave a larger deposit and wait a week for them to put things right. The dealer will hope to see you and the car back for servicing. I had to do this with MY07 still in factory warranty. I waited a month for roof seal work to be done - they gave me a loaner! In addition there were issues like wrong mats, water in the trunk and footwells, damaged wheel trims and a broken trunk tray - all of which would have cost me a fortune to put right at retail prices. They had my defects list and I was very pleased with the quality of their work.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The seal at the base of the rear window is hidden. You should be able to look out of the rear window from the inside and there should not be any light. Then you can half open the roof and examine the state of the seal once the rear window is lifted on to the roof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, after seeing the car again and speaking to the sales man, everything will be sorted however the warranty does not cover water leaks or the seals. I have now asked about the mechanical end of the roof, such as the pump, and he is going to get back to me.

I am tempted to say no, if the roof is not covered under the warranty. It does work fine, no issues and all seals are tight. Maybe I am expecting too much?

thanks for the help guys, it helped me a lot ^_^

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
That's just as I thought and I doubt you will find any warranty covering roof seal leaks. I'm sure the pump, roof electronic controller and hydraulics will be covered because they are regarded as 'mechanical' and easier to replace. I did suggest you take it through a car wash? You will probably be no better off (or even worse!) buying from somewhere else or even private. The exception would be if it was less than 3 years old when the V.W factory warranty DOES include roof seals and leaks.

If you really want to buy a used cabriolet car you will hit this issue with most of them and they can be high maintenance.

everything will be sorted
If that's everything on your snagging list you can't expect much more?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Waiting on the sales man to get back to me, the one I was dealing with was off today and yesterday. I didnt bother getting the car washed though, we have had really bad rain the day I saw it again that I didnt think it was needed. Still bone dry.

Hopefully tomorrow finally agree on the sale!

·
Registered
1 Posts
RUN do not look back. Trust me from past experience this car will eat you alive with one problem after another. Find another reliable car.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Good luck @Aralon and hopefully welcome to the fold!

·
Registered
39 Posts
As for a warranty, make sure it is the VW dealer that does the warranty work and not a third party. Many third party warranty companies have you use your mechanic as an intermediary and the mechanic deals with the insuror to determine what is covered and to what extent. I researched one third party insuror that was offered to cover my 2007 Eos and found it had an absolutely terrible reputation with the insureds. Forty one of forty two user reviews complained of horrible experiences of denied claims. See what kind of a discount the dealer will give you if you do not take the warranty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I now own one! Yay! Now to play the wiaiting game for it to get MOT and repairs done.

Where do you lot get your Krytox105 from? I can only find this.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You can also try searching for the VW part number for the stuff, G052172A1. There are a few eBay sellers in Germany that have it for a reasonable price. I seem to remember I ordered my lubricant from Greece, fittingly enough ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts