Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
07' 3.2 EOS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed this sweet car joying unit on the weekend and am waiting patiently now for my wireless reverse camera to arrive in mail (this unit if you are interested)

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to install a reverse camera in license plate light without removing the rear bumper and could share some advice/hints/tips.

I removed the black plastic cover in my trunk on Saturday (the one that holds 'hazard triangle') to investigate what's waiting for me the next weekend and was greeted only by small slits and holes instead of seizable openings to reach the license plate light cabling...

Also, any advice if any cables under that cover are for reverse light that I will need for powering the camera?

·
497 Posts
Look under the trim more towards the tail lights and I found a rubber gromit with the wires to the rear parking sensors. I used this to gain access to inside of the bumper. If the new number plate light is LED it may give a "light fault". PM me for more info.

·
07' 3.2 EOS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the hint! It seems then that I'll need to 'fish' the cables with some wire through the openings that there are...

What about the 'reverse light' power? Do I need to remove the right side soft cover and taillight cover to get access to any of the cables?

I'd be happy to PM you but I think your privacy settings do not allow the messages!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed this sweet car joying unit on the weekend and am waiting patiently now for my wireless reverse camera to arrive in mail (this unit if you are interested)

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to install a reverse camera in license plate light without removing the rear bumper and could share some advice/hints/tips.

I removed the black plastic cover in my trunk on Saturday (the one that holds 'hazard triangle') to investigate what's waiting for me the next weekend and was greeted only by small slits and holes instead of seizable openings to reach the license plate light cabling...

Also, any advice if any cables under that cover are for reverse light that I will need for powering the camera?
Do you have a pic of this installed? Does this unit have Sirius? I'm really interested in this unit.

·
07' 3.2 EOS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it looks something like this (without the ugly dithering):

also finalized wireless backup camera installation. and replaced the two 6V batteries :)

good times! (whew)

PS it doesn't have sirius but I wasn't using mine so it's not an issue. i tried sirius via a trial but realized (and googled around to confirm) that it's only streaming at 64kbit quality (spotify and other services do 320kbit these days)

·
Registered
84 Posts
it looks something like this (without the ugly dithering):

also finalized wireless backup camera installation. and replaced the two 6V batteries :)

good times! (whew)

PS it doesn't have sirius but I wasn't using mine so it's not an issue. i tried sirius via a trial but realized (and googled around to confirm) that it's only streaming at 64kbit quality (spotify and other services do 320kbit these days)
I am really interested in this and have a few questions if you don't mind. Do you have this paired to an android or ios phone? How hard is to download an app to the headunit. I have an iphone and want to use Waze. Does the headunit have GPS? If not, how does it get the location? Do you have steering wheel controls? Does you climate control appear on the head unit? Thanks!

·
07' 3.2 EOS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this is android (4.4.4) so no pairing is needed - it just runs the android OS itself. The unit has MirrorLink feature via USB cable though (haven't tried it) for Androids and AirPlay for iPhones via wifi (haven't tried it yet either).

For now I am only using Bluettoth and that seems to work great. It integrates with phone's audio and phone profiles to extend the functionality. I accepted a phone call and the person did not complain (the unit has a small hole with a tiny built in microphone).

it has two usb ports at the back (hanging as separate ~3ft cables) and it is easy to route them to the area above passenger knees (there's a soft cover there that can be removed in 30 seconds) to access and swap modems, USB sticks, routers, dashcams, etc - anything android supports).

for now I download apps in my garage when I'm connected to my home wifi - but you could also use your phone hotspot (or any dedicated wifi hotspot) for the purpose. you can also 'bring data' on microSD - the unit has two microsd slots and I've equipped them with 2 64gb cards. music, offline maps, etc. can go there.

there's also an option to connect generic usb 3g modems (those usb sticks you can buy on ebay/amazon for 10-50$) to have data always available in the unit. however, as I'm using tmobile I didn't find the stick yet that supports the right 3g/4g frequencies for a reasonable price (tried a few but got download speeds of 1-2KB/s... probably via GPRS)

in terms of apps: I was thinking to put a lot of apps on it, but then I realized it's kind of pointless - it's better to have them on the phone. it's a bit awkward to operate the screen while you drive (some apps need fiddling to operate them) so I just stick to waze, google maps, spotify (with offline cache), radio, bluetooth, settings and such.

the unit can be wifi client (for connection to access points) or host, if it has 3g connection (might not be a requirement though) - it could then be used as a wifi hotspot.

the unit has GPS input port - you either need to use fakra connector adapter if you car already has a built in GPS antenna to connect or install a tiny GPS antenna that they supply (black box 1-2inch by 1-2inch) somewhere in or on your dash.

in terms of CAN bus and steering wheel - my steering wheel controls are 2007 spec (8 rather ugly buttons) and they work.. mostly :) you get to switch radio stations, bluetooth songs (previous/next), volume, mute and so on. volume and 'star' buttons you can program yourself - there's a settings page where you 'train' the unit to recognize CAN inputs while you press the buttons. surprisingly the unit is able to show FM radio frequency in MFD - probably because the app is customized and tailored for the purpose. no luck with bluetooth song name, but I don't really need that - there's the huge screen for the purpose.

in my car, the unit has access to CAN data for open doors, trunk and hood but not for the AC. thankfully I don't really need these so I'm fine with that.

I think the company promises the upgrade to lollipop when they test it out and adapt the software as it is their latest generation unit. their android version clearly has a layer of custom modifications. the unit has to support various inputs, amplifier, CAN bus, etc. so those folks must surely know what they are doing.

I also installed the dashcam (the company supplies their own USB camera for the purpose, but any USB webcam would work) and use the unit as the dashcam footage recorder. Furthermore, after a bunch of time spent on Saturday I also installed a wireless backup camera so I also use that now as my car does not have the parking sensors.

I don't drive the car everyday now so I'm still learning about the system and my usage patterns. But in general for now it's - cache bigger stuff in the garage, use my phone's tethering for Waze on the road.

In general - the system is a bit wonky, but it might be related to the fact that I've been abusing it recently after installing to push it to the max and try everything out.. and perhaps that it is android :) The most obvious usage case: reverse camera feed, Waze for navigation with tethered internet and Bluetooth audio I think are working flawlessly though which is pretty much all I need.

whew, that was a long brain dump. hopefully that will help others who are on the fence.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, this is android (4.4.4) so no pairing is needed - it just runs the android OS itself. The unit has MirrorLink feature via USB cable though (haven't tried it) for Androids and AirPlay for iPhones via wifi (haven't tried it yet either).

For now I am only using Bluettoth and that seems to work great. It integrates with phone's audio and phone profiles to extend the functionality. I accepted a phone call and the person did not complain (the unit has a small hole with a tiny built in microphone).

it has two usb ports at the back (hanging as separate ~3ft cables) and it is easy to route them to the area above passenger knees (there's a soft cover there that can be removed in 30 seconds) to access and swap modems, USB sticks, routers, dashcams, etc - anything android supports).

for now I download apps in my garage when I'm connected to my home wifi - but you could also use your phone hotspot (or any dedicated wifi hotspot) for the purpose. you can also 'bring data' on microSD - the unit has two microsd slots and I've equipped them with 2 64gb cards. music, offline maps, etc. can go there.

there's also an option to connect generic usb 3g modems (those usb sticks you can buy on ebay/amazon for 10-50$) to have data always available in the unit. however, as I'm using tmobile I didn't find the stick yet that supports the right 3g/4g frequencies for a reasonable price (tried a few but got download speeds of 1-2KB/s... probably via GPRS)

in terms of apps: I was thinking to put a lot of apps on it, but then I realized it's kind of pointless - it's better to have them on the phone. it's a bit awkward to operate the screen while you drive (some apps need fiddling to operate them) so I just stick to waze, google maps, spotify (with offline cache), radio, bluetooth, settings and such.

the unit can be wifi client (for connection to access points) or host, if it has 3g connection (might not be a requirement though) - it could then be used as a wifi hotspot.

the unit has GPS input port - you either need to use fakra connector adapter if you car already has a built in GPS antenna to connect or install a tiny GPS antenna that they supply (black box 1-2inch by 1-2inch) somewhere in or on your dash.

in terms of CAN bus and steering wheel - my steering wheel controls are 2007 spec (8 rather ugly buttons) and they work.. mostly :) you get to switch radio stations, bluetooth songs (previous/next), volume, mute and so on. volume and 'star' buttons you can program yourself - there's a settings page where you 'train' the unit to recognize CAN inputs while you press the buttons. surprisingly the unit is able to show FM radio frequency in MFD - probably because the app is customized and tailored for the purpose. no luck with bluetooth song name, but I don't really need that - there's the huge screen for the purpose.

in my car, the unit has access to CAN data for open doors, trunk and hood but not for the AC. thankfully I don't really need these so I'm fine with that.

I think the company promises the upgrade to lollipop when they test it out and adapt the software as it is their latest generation unit. their android version clearly has a layer of custom modifications. the unit has to support various inputs, amplifier, CAN bus, etc. so those folks must surely know what they are doing.

I also installed the dashcam (the company supplies their own USB camera for the purpose, but any USB webcam would work) and use the unit as the dashcam footage recorder. Furthermore, after a bunch of time spent on Saturday I also installed a wireless backup camera so I also use that now as my car does not have the parking sensors.

I don't drive the car everyday now so I'm still learning about the system and my usage patterns. But in general for now it's - cache bigger stuff in the garage, use my phone's tethering for Waze on the road.

In general - the system is a bit wonky, but it might be related to the fact that I've been abusing it recently after installing to push it to the max and try everything out.. and perhaps that it is android :) The most obvious usage case: reverse camera feed, Waze for navigation with tethered internet and Bluetooth audio I think are working flawlessly though which is pretty much all I need.

whew, that was a long brain dump. hopefully that will help others who are on the fence.
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts