Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if I can get an auto dimming mirror for my 08 Eos comfort? Dealer says no, but I find that hard to believe. Can you suggest a make and model # that fits and can be installed?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Anyone know if I can get an auto dimming mirror for my 08 Eos comfort

Hi Hili

It is my understanding it is possible to get the seperate components to fit this retro, I enquired about fitting it to my 09, but I was told by my wife the cost was very high (she works at the dealer where we bought ours from) .

If you do track anything down, do let us all know on this site, I for one could be interested.

Derek

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
Anyone know if I can get an auto dimming mirror for my 08 Eos comfort? Dealer says no, but I find that hard to believe. Can you suggest a make and model # that fits and can be installed?
Aftermarket ones were available on fleabay, that is where I got one from for my 306 Cab. I seem to remember the mirror cost £70 and then needs fitting with a power supply to make it work. Can't remember who made them, it is a U.S. product by GENK I think. I may be able to find some more details about this at home.
The original fit included the drivers door mirror dipping too so that might explain the cost if it was included as part of the kit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked ebay and the various manufacturers of auto dimming mirrors as well as my dealer. All say that it should be possible, but no one will tell me that they've actually done it. I get quotes of from $200 to $500, not including installation !! Evidently the problem is that it's unknown to have done this?? I can't see why.

·
Great Car Guy!
36 Posts
Tinting rear view mirror - easy

I've checked ebay and the various manufacturers of auto dimming mirrors as well as my dealer. All say that it should be possible, but no one will tell me that they've actually done it. I get quotes of from $200 to $500, not including installation !! Evidently the problem is that it's unknown to have done this?? I can't see why.
I bought my '08 Eos in December (used) and did not want to have the garage door opener on the visor out of fear that with the top down someone would snatch it. And I also wanted a dimming mirror. I killed two birds with one stone by buying one that had a HomeLink in the mirror. Got it on eBay for $115 refurbished, with 6 month warranty. It is not hard at all to install. The only problem was with the VW mount -- they have their own proprietary one, not the standard wedge mount on 80% of the cars. While you can buy a converter (for $25), I decided screw that -- the mirror came with a wedge mount and glue so I just installed it above the current VW mount. This had the added advantage of moving the mirror up some (I am tall) so now I have a better view of the front right side. Also, you can remove the mount with heat, so when I sell the car, I will remove the mirror, put the old one back on and be ready to go in the new vehicle. So as not to make it look bad, I found a round, black cap that went over the old VW mount, and I placed the new mount such that they butt up. It looks like the old mount is part of the new mirror with some 'special' sensor.

As for power, you need a switched DC line. Guess what -- one of the lines to the map lights are hot when the ignition switch is on, and then for a few minutes afterwards when the key is removed. I tied into this line. Who cares if the mirror is on for a few extra minutes. Made it so easy -- didn't have to run a long wire down to the fuse box. And the mirror only draws mA; no worry over-drawing current.

Pictures are below. Have fun.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I mounted an OE RLS sensor(without mirror) on my screen using silicone. It's stayed stuck for 3 years, but can be removed cleanly. Most rearviews now are fixed with a really strong 3M double sided pad - no grinding required. The genuine OE RLS with dimming mirror fits on a substantial metal mount pre-installed on the screen. EOS screens come in 2 types - those with the mount and others without. Those with mounts have a standardised tint for the RLS sensor to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have bout the kit from Aliexpress with the metal mount and I glue it using windshield replacement glue (having the primer).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts