Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't start my 2008 EOS without a jump from my friend, I guess that meana the battery die? It is a 3 years old car with 43000 miles on it so is it normal for the battery life, does any one know? or it might be other Electronic Power Ccontrol (EPC) problem? I know I probably should go back to have dealer check it out but I try to find out if this is just battery problem, if so I can just change battery, it is so expensive go go back to dealer... anyidea, anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
As is still under warranty I suggest your first step is a service visit. I suspect that one of your control modules is defective and is not going into low power drain "sleep" mode when your Eos is switched off.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I can't start my 2008 EOS without a jump from my friend, I guess that meana the battery die? It is a 3 years old car with 43000 miles on it so is it normal for the battery life, does any one know? or it might be other Electronic Power Ccontrol (EPC) problem? I know I probably should go back to have dealer check it out but I try to find out if this is just battery problem, if so I can just change battery, it is so expensive go go back to dealer... anyidea, anyone? Thanks!
your car should have a four year, 48,000 mile factory warranty. That would also include the battery and any related components.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there - I've had all sorts of issues with the battery in my EOS. In fact, VW dealer has looked at it 4 times - recently got so bad I have gone to a different dealer and they have found the significant power drain - the SatNav CD Radio - replacing under warranty (an extended warranty I purchased from Listers) - would have been £1250 plus fitting!

·
Too old to be Junior User
469 Posts
Batteries can - and do - die.

Battery maufacturers build a figure into the price of every battery, to cover the cost of early replacement.

It is not the fault of the car manufacturer, other than maybe sourcing a dud battery in the first place.

In Australia warranty claims for both batteries and tyres are handled directly by their manufacturers, not by the car company.

On the other hand, if you have a drain problem, that is the car dealers problem to sort out.

·
Young at heart
48 Posts
Geoff
Not sure if you are aware but in Australi the battery is actually 100% covered by Volkswagen for the full warranty period of 3 years or 100k

I had my battery go with no warning- started in the morning fine ( no slow cranking at all) and later that morning TOTALLY dead - not a single turn of the starter

Rang Volkswagen assist and they had a company called Mondial out in about 15 minutes.
He tested the car / battery and said it is dead and needs a new one.

As the car had been written off by hail damage, I was not too happy to put a new battery in and then handover to insurance company a few months later.

The guy from Mondial said why worry as it is 100% covered by Volvswagen - not some prorata deal that I was expecting at best - Zero charge

After resetting the computer with a series of the key remote buttons from the outside of the car all good.

He would tell me the button sequence but it was something like 2 or 3 locks then 3 or 4 unlocks and 2 locks and then unlock. Not sure how many other features these buttons have

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had my battery replaced at 23000km over 7 months. Mine went like Freds, all of a sudden. The car was towed back to the dealer who decided to charge it, when I got there to pick it up it was in the same condition (not starting) so they ended up replacing it.

I was surprised how quickly the battery just stopped working.

·
Too old to be Junior User
469 Posts
Geoff
Not sure if you are aware but in Australi the battery is actually 100% covered by Volkswagen for the full warranty period of 3 years or 100k

I had my battery go with no warning- started in the morning fine ( no slow cranking at all) and later that morning TOTALLY dead - not a single turn of the starter

Rang Volkswagen assist and they had a company called Mondial out in about 15 minutes.
He tested the car / battery and said it is dead and needs a new one.

As the car had been written off by hail damage, I was not too happy to put a new battery in and then handover to insurance company a few months later.

The guy from Mondial said why worry as it is 100% covered by Volvswagen - not some prorata deal that I was expecting at best - Zero charge

After resetting the computer with a series of the key remote buttons from the outside of the car all good.

He would tell me the button sequence but it was something like 2 or 3 locks then 3 or 4 unlocks and 2 locks and then unlock. Not sure how many other features these buttons have
You learn something new every day.

Admittedly, my knowledge was a few years old, and related to Australian made cars, as I was advised this by someone who worked for a battery company - selling to the local car companies.

It may also be related to the road side service that the Eos comes with - supplied by Mondial.

I'd love to know what else you can do with "remote clicks"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just replaced mine about 2 months ago (38k mikes), so 2 years into ownership. I did not bother trying to get it covered under warranty, just bought a new battery. My spouse has left the lights on a few times in the car over the past two years. I have also read that this can be more likely if you live where it is hot, where the fans will run to to cool down the engine after it is off. I'm in Dallas, TX and it's 100F/38C right now.

Also if you lower/raise your top regularly without the engine running could also run down the battery.

One cool thing I experienced when this happened. When trying to restart I swear the car cut power to non essential systems so they would not be pulling on the battery, the car then started.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Quiet~Flight
149 Posts
^Thats good to know.

I've always lived under the knowledge that I had to turn off the A/C and radio before turning on the car. I guess that was for earlier types of cars and it dealt with more than just a battery issue but other electrical problems that could arise.

I still turn on the heater for a short time after shutting off the A/C to kill moisture/bacteria growth. Again, something I've heard from car guys on the radio.

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
As a Peugeot 306 Cabriolet owner which, by default only allows you to lower/raise the hood with the engine off and then only manages five or six full cycles before the battery is drained, I cannot believe that anyone would lower/raise the hood without the engine running. It must put a huge drain on the battery.
The 306 Cabriolet club suggests a quick mod for the roof which all new members are advised to perform which allows the hood to be lowered/raised with the engine running, this is one of the most worthwhile mods available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to have batteries replaced for the second time. I love the car but something
is causing this, and no one has answers. Good thing I purchased the additional warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
eos battery issues

with in a year and 3 batteries...took to dealer ship twice to find out why..they could not!! the last time I told them to find the issues!!! they kept my car for over a week and $1,500 later they found it was the engine contr4l module number 1Q0-907-115-D CONTR.UNIT... that was Dec. 16, 2011
today March 17th, 2012 the car did not start...neighbor has a charger on it at this time..I'm sure it will start and deallership will tell me Monday they could not find anything wrong!! as long as the battery is fully charged..right..how I am to get the car to the dealership on a Saturday!!!:mad::mad: hope this helps!!:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
My battery lasted 3.5 years from new purchase of 2008 Eos. The dealer replaced under warrantee with no charge to me. He said the factory battery lasts about 3 years. Lots of electrics on board and I do a lot of stop and go driving short distances.
Lopaka

·
Life is good... so far
1,015 Posts
My battery is still working fine after 5years and 7 months and 59,000 miles. Lucky I guess.

·
Registered
524 Posts
well mine 'died' today, after 3 years and 5 months......no warning, just decided it was time.

Don't think that is too bad really, especially as I do reasonably often use the key fob, with smart top, to raise or lower roof.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts