Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the Kenwood DDX8706s and the Rockford Fosgate Speakers in my 2015 Final Edition... We have decided we want just a tad more oomph.

I know @2phast, @cb391, and @aku-aku were very helpful in my first thread about amps and speakers, but we really didn't discuss amp brands. The last time I really paid attention to stereos brands was in the 80s. I think my knowledge on the subject is a tad out of date...
What are the better brands out there? I know I need at least 4 channels and the wattage, I just want a quality amp... Not looking to save a few bucks and get crap.

My next question is... I want to add a USB to an empty slot between the ashtray and the gear shifter. Since the installer is going to be working on the stereo, the amp, and adding a maestro pack that shows the gauges, air pressure, etc on the stereo, adding the USB will be much easier to do at the same time, than a separate appointment.
So the questions with that are, is there a USB setup that you would recommend.
And would the best place to pull power from being the lighter power or do you have a better recommendation. (I haven't talked to the installer in-depth, he might have a good place to pull it from)
I do not want it attached to the stereo. I already have the stereo USB in an empty slot...
I want a 2nd one not connected to the stereo. The one that is attached to the stereo, does not recognize my tablet, laptop, or any other USB service, it only recognizes an android phone. There is another plug connected to the stereo, in the glovebox, that only recognizes an iPhone (I'm an android person)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Focal, Rockford, Infinity, JL Audio, Audio Control, SoundStream, MB Quart, Morel are all good amplifiers.
Thanks!! I saw a few Rockford Fosgate amps that fit what I need...
I will look at a few more details on them and check out the other ones too :)

Do you have any info for the USB?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
463 Posts
Thanks!! I saw a few Rockford Fosgate amps that fit what I need...
I will look at a few more details on them and check out the other ones too :)

Do you have any info for the USB?
I would opt for this kit to provide a integrated USB port and fast charging.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would opt for this kit to provide a integrated USB port and fast charging.

I found 2 on eBay just before I came back here and saw your post...
I got them for half the price and ECS is out of stock... So it all worked out :)
Thanks so much!
I also bought the Rockford Fosgate P400x4 amp!
So when I take my car to the installers they are going to have a long day...

The Amp
2 USB ports
Maestro thing... I know what it will do but beyond that, it took a lot to find the right combo
(The Amp and USB ports should be quick and easy, the Maestro... that is a different story)
I better be set now!! LOL

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
463 Posts
I run the Idatalink Maestro RR in my EOS. For Mk5 cars, you don't get TPMS monitoring, no climatic integration and no audio menu in the MFD. Not that complicated of a installation, the most time consuming part is soldering the VW1 harness to the Maestro harness. I have most all of this installation documented in several videos here; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL15Im6UUOZ8aEneNqxSgucrhaTMnbo-Iq

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run the Idatalink Maestro RR in my EOS. For Mk5 cars, you don't get TPMS monitoring, no climatic integration and no audio menu in the MFD. Not that complicated of a installation, the most time consuming part is soldering the VW1 harness to the Maestro harness. I have most all of this installation documented in several videos here; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL15Im6UUOZ8aEneNqxSgucrhaTMnbo-Iq
Installation is way above my paygrade these days lol
I worked in automotive my whole life... I was able to work on anything under the hood and under the car. I know chit about the inside lol

I did look over your YouTube list... and have a few questions (haven't watched any of the vids yet)
Did you notice a huge difference with and without the Tuff Anti-Glare?
Did you switch from the Pioneer to the RCD330 or the other way around?
Is there a need for the dimming review mirror or did that change over the years with the Eos?

I did drive a mew Jetta when my Eos was in the shop... It had an embedded compass, I miss that feature on the dash

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
463 Posts
Installation is way above my paygrade these days lol
I worked in automotive my whole life... I was able to work on anything under the hood and under the car. I know chit about the inside lol

I did look over your YouTube list... and have a few questions (haven't watched any of the vids yet)
Did you notice a huge difference with and without the Tuff Anti-Glare?
Did you switch from the Pioneer to the RCD330 or the other way around?
Is there a need for the dimming review mirror or did that change over the years with the Eos?

I did drive a mew Jetta when my Eos was in the shop... It had an embedded compass, I miss that feature on the dash
Turning up the brightness of the Pioneer media player fixed the glare issue a bit, enough to see what was on the screen. Adding the anti glare screen protector decreased the glare another 30% or so, so the two in combination is a good fix.

I used to run a RCD360 (RCD330) and while it is a nice plug n play option, it has limited dirty power, limited EQ and no digital signal processing at all. There is also no separate volume control for navigation, so the voice coming from WAZE was too low and can not be adjusted. The Pioneer has a master volume and volume for navigation, both can be adjusted separately. The Pioneer has a internal Mosfet power supply, so more cleaner power along with low level outputs and electronic crossovers. With the RCD360, I had to use high level inputs into my sub, which is not ideal and the amount of bass I could dial in was limited as to not overload the 6.5" in the front and the 5.25" in the rear. With the Pioneers electronic crossover, I was able to create a band pass filter, so I have the fronts set to 160hz and above and the passive crossovers from the Infinity Kappas filter frequencies 3200hz and below to the 6.5". Roughly the same for the rears except the crossover frequency is set to 200hz, both with a 24db per octave roll off. The DSP of the Pioneer (when used with the optional DSP mic) allows you to tune your sound system for optimum listening. The DSP mic is placed where the drivers head would normally be and the Pioneer will cycle through tones, pulses and pink noise to set gains, balances and adjust the eq for optimum listening.

My EOS came with an auto dimming rear view mirror and Homelink in the drivers visor, so I did not need to install another mirror. Some VW's don't have this option though, which you get with the rain sensor. Normally if you don't have a auto dimming mirror, you just get the rain sensor plate, VW auto dimming mirror, bracket cover and wiring channel and retrofit it to your VW, there really isn't a need to go the route I did, unless you want more features. My conversion is almost a direct plug n play, one extra wire for the alarm LED, which needed to be routed to the fuse box and tapped into the alarm fuse (its the only power line that does not shut off after 10 minutes). If I built a mirror without the alarm LED, then it would be a direct plug n play, unplug the old one, plug in the new one.

I actually build auto dimming mirrors for pre 1996 Mercedes and have been doing so for 15 years, the process was just an exercise to see if it could be done (I do prefer my Homelink controls to be in the mirror, the sun visor controls don't seem to have the same range as the Homelink in the mirror). I needed to figure out the various wiring configurations of the VW mirrors and the disassembly procedure. This was in preparation to adding VW core mirrors to my list of mirrors to be used for Mercedes conversions.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turning up the brightness of the Pioneer media player fixed the glare issue a bit, enough to see what was on the screen. Adding the anti glare screen protector decreased the glare another 30% or so, so the two in combination is a good fix.

I used to run a RCD360 (RCD330) and while it is a nice plug n play option, it has limited dirty power, limited EQ and no digital signal processing at all. There is also no separate volume control for navigation, so the voice coming from WAZE was too low and can not be adjusted. The Pioneer has a master volume and volume for navigation, both can be adjusted separately. The Pioneer has a internal Mosfet power supply, so more cleaner power along with low level outputs and electronic crossovers. With the RCD360, I had to use high level inputs into my sub, which is not ideal and the amount of bass I could dial in was limited as to not overload the 6.5" in the front and the 5.25" in the rear. With the Pioneers electronic crossover, I was able to create a band pass filter, so I have the fronts set to 160hz and above and the passive crossovers from the Infinity Kappas filter frequencies 3200hz and below to the 6.5". Roughly the same for the rears except the crossover frequency is set to 200hz, both with a 24db per octave roll off. The DSP of the Pioneer (when used with the optional DSP mic) allows you to tune your sound system for optimum listening. The DSP mic is placed where the drivers head would normally be and the Pioneer will cycle through tones, pulses and pink noise to set gains, balances and adjust the eq for optimum listening.
A lot of good info there...
There are a few people in some of the FB groups I am in, who keep pushing the RCD33xx every time someone asks about a head unit. I have never been impressed by the specs I read/understood. The info you provided is awesome and very understandable... Glad I never went that route.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
463 Posts
A lot of good info there...
There are a few people in some of the FB groups I am in, who keep pushing the RCD33xx every time someone asks about a head unit. I have never been impressed by the specs I read/understood. The info you provided is awesome and very understandable... Glad I never went that route.
If your not an audiophile and just want a cheap, plug n play option that will give you Apple Car Play or Android Auto, you really can't beat the RCD330. I even recommend it as a basic upgrade to the OE radio, but if your going a full on system replacement, adding a subwoofer, amps etc., the RCD330 is not the right choice. I initially though I could live with its limited features, but I should have known better. Wasn't a big deal, actually sold it for more than I paid for it, so after EBay fees pretty much broke even

I am disappointed in the Idatalink Maestro RR though, downloading the specific instructions for the 2008 EOS, it promised me TPMS sensor read out and climate control display (if I had Climatic which I do) and furthermore, they said I would net a audio section in the MFD and when the MFD is set to the audio feature, I would have track data displayed and the right side steering wheel buttons would control track selection. This was an outright lie, at least for MK5 owners and Idatalink's response was something akin to "We never had a chance to work on a Mk5" and the MK5 has been around for for over 12 years. Even the RCD330 with the Canbus adapter provided track selection (it also controlled the MFD at the same time, which was frustrating)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am disappointed in the Idatalink Maestro RR though, downloading the specific instructions for the 2008 EOS, it promised me TPMS sensor read out and climate control display (if I had Climatic which I do) and furthermore, they said I would net a audio section in the MFD and when the MFD is set to the audio feature, I would have track data displayed and the right side steering wheel buttons would control track selection. This was an outright lie, at least for MK5 owners and Idatalink's response was something akin to "We never had a chance to work on a Mk5" and the MK5 has been around for for over 12 years. Even the RCD330 with the Canbus adapter provided track selection (it also controlled the MFD at the same time, which was frustrating)
Where did you DL the specifics for it? I have been looking and haven't been able to find anything...
I am not sure if my 15 would have more options than your '08.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
463 Posts
Where did you DL the specifics for it? I have been looking and haven't been able to find anything...
I am not sure if my 15 would have more options than your '08.
Go to https://www.idatalinkmaestro.com/en and punch in your vehicle specifics, choose the Maestro and continue from there.

The 2015 should have more options available than the Mk5 but I don't think they support the TPMS sensors in the VW at all

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Go to https://www.idatalinkmaestro.com/en and punch in your vehicle specifics, choose the Maestro and continue from there.

The 2015 should have more options available than the Mk5 but I don't think they support the TPMS sensors in the VW at all
I just called Maestro. I asked basically what it will do for my car and stereo. The answer is... until it is installed there is no way to know what will be grayed out and what will be available!!
So I am supposed to spend a couple of hundred dollars and it may or may not do anything?!?!?! What kind of dumb answer is that?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
463 Posts
I just called Maestro. I asked basically what it will do for my car and stereo. The answer is... until it is installed there is no way to know what will be grayed out and what will be available!!
So I am supposed to spend a couple of hundred dollars and it may or may not do anything?!?!?! What kind of dumb answer is that?
Your not going to get less features than I have. Worst case scenario, you won't have the climate display (assuming you have the climatic option), no TPMS read out and no audio menu in the MFD (assuming you have the full MFD not the partial). My understanding is that on the MK6 platforms, you do get these except for TPMS

Go to their forum and read through the threads. Volkswagen -

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your not going to get less features than I have. Worst case scenario, you won't have the climate display (assuming you have the climatic option), no TPMS read out and no audio menu in the MFD (assuming you have the full MFD not the partial). My understanding is that on the MK6 platforms, you do get these except for TPMS

Go to their forum and read through the threads. Volkswagen -
Thank you!! You have been so very helpful! I can't thank you enough :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts