Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just informed that even though I have only 30k miles on my 2013 Sport, that because of age I should buy new tires.

It was occurring to me that most of the tires I'm seeing and that stores are trying to sell me are "All Weather" but that here in Kailua Kona, Hawaii we don't have all weather, just rainy Summer weather all year long.

With this in mind, is there a best 18" tire for the Eos in tropical climates?

I don't know how much personal taste comes into this but I do like quiet. I like good control too though there are no roads to go really fast here, just a few where quick cornering at 45 or an occasional 50mph could be nice.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
I was just informed that even though I have only 30k miles on my 2013 Sport, that because of age I should buy new tires.

This is good advice from whoever advised you as tyres have a limited life before degradation starts to become a problem especially in countries with high Ultra Violet radiation levels. The quoted replacement period starts at 5 years for environments such as Australia with our notoriously high UV levels.

I suggest you should get advice from the tyre technician you spoke to about the tyre choices available to you and relate these to your driving preferences as different tyres will suit different drivers of the same car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With this in mind, is there a best 18" tire for the Eos in tropical climates?

Go to Tirerack.com and look for tires that fir your 18" wheels. You can compare tires using user reviews to select tires that perform well in wet and dry weather. There is no guarantee that you will get a great tire, but at least you will have information on which to base your decisions.

You can buy the tires from Tirerack if they ship to your location or just find a dealer that will get them for you. I have done it both ways. I would not rely on dealer recommendations alone.

·
Life is good... so far
1,061 Posts
As has been suggested, going on line and seeing what is available from places like Tire rack and Discount Tire would be a good start. I Think either will ship to where you are. If you find something you like, see if there are any tire dealers near you that will have them or order them for you. One odd place to look is at your VW dealers. They may have tires made for the conditions you have. If the tires you have came with the car, I wouldn't look for high mileage tires as they will weather out before wearing out. Look closely at your tires for drying or cracking and replace them if you see either. Here on the mainland, tire age/replacement varies by brand, series and by whoever sells the tires, starting at six years. As for recommended tires, I had and liked Michelin Pilot Sport tires that were not all season but tracked well wet and dry. They had a 30,000 mile life expectancy which sounds like what you are looking for. Continental make similar tires which are very good as well. But check around and get what is best for your needs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good suggestions, but dealer-installed tires are usually exorbitantly priced and not necessarily the best tires.

Even if you do not use Tirerack, I suggest you look at the ratings and user reviews. And if you really like the tire you have, see if you can still get them

·
Life is good... so far
1,061 Posts
Actually the dealer price may not be that bad. I needed an 18 inch Dunlop tire and the price from Honda was only a few dollars more. And sometimes the dealer has the tires on sale. I suggested the dealer as they will have tires meant for the area and they will be well known brands. You won't know unless you ask them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but the aboslute best tires for our front wheel drive EOS in areas that doesn't see snow will be the Michelin Pilot SuperSport, or the even newer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I have the Pilot SuperSport and it totally transformed my EOS into a fantastic handling sports car. Only issue is they are a bit expensive and only lasts 30,000 miles.

These Michelin summer tires absolutely stick to the pavement. I used to have tons of wheelspin when starting from stop but these tires have almost completely eliminated that. It handles better than my BMW and can corner just as fast. In wet weather it has confidence inspiring handling, as these Michelins are almost as good in wet weather as dry, just don't drive them below 40F/5C as the rubber will start to harden below that temperature. But for California/Hawaii it is perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts