Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
You may want to check over on VWVortex or one of the GTI sites - plenty of folks over there modding 2.0TSI engines.

Forge certainly makes nice parts, but in this case I don't see the need because it doesn't add anything performance-wise. The newer diverter valve in the 2.0TSI engine works fine, but, like all diverter valves, it's pretty quiet and doesn't give you that cool whooosh sound. I'd recommend putting the funds towards an APR ECU upgrade (or an upgrade from the vendor of your choice), if you already haven't. That will definitely give a performance boost.

Okay, okay, I admit it - I'm an old fart...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info!

You may want to check over on VWVortex or one of the GTI sites - plenty of folks over there modding 2.0TSI engines.

Forge certainly makes nice parts, but in this case I don't see the need because it doesn't add anything performance-wise. The newer diverter valve in the 2.0TSI engine works fine, but, like all diverter valves, it's pretty quiet and doesn't give you that cool whooosh sound. I'd recommend putting the funds towards an APR ECU upgrade (or an upgrade from the vendor of your choice), if you already haven't. That will definitely give a performance boost.

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
Er, what does it do exactly?

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
Er, what does it do exactly?
The VW 2.0 Turbo motors have a diverter valve, which routes excess air from the high pressure side of the turbo back to the low pressure side. This is required when you have the turbo all spooled up, and you drop the throttle, say, like you would between shifts. If you didn't reroute the excess pressure it would back up into the turbo and stall it. A diverter valve operates fairly quietly.

Older turbo motors had a simple blow-off valve, which vented excess pressure to the atmosphere, making a distinctive wooosh/squeak sound.

For newer turbo motors with diverter valves, a "blow-off adapter" is a widget that duplicates that wooosh/squeak sound. No performance improvement, but I guess it sounds cool.

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, so it's a whistle, something that just makes a noise, much the same as fitting playing cards on your bicycle to imitate a motor and about as much use.

Boring old fart #2 :D ;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts

Will this diverter valve be the problem causer when the gas pedal is depressed and the car just sits there for several seconds and then takes off spinning the tires. Makes for a lot of fun when trying to pull into traffic, lol.

Bill ----a really old fart!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts