Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , my Eos boot is stuck shut by the c claws , I ran vcds and the roof module isn’t communicating so I cant force it to open with laptop , any tips on how to open them please ?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Your roof stopped due to a fault or error without fully completing a closing or opening operation. If the trunk lid is locked by the claws, then the main roof is not fully locked closed. You will probably have to go fishing through the ski hole or use little people in a kind and humane way. You need lots of patience. If you eventually get the lid open, you still have to find out what's wrong. Search here for Trunk lockout, there are several posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your roof stopped due to a fault or error without fully completing a closing or opening operation. If the trunk lid is locked by the claws, then the main roof is not fully locked closed. You will probably have to go fishing through the ski hole or use little people in a kind and humane way. You need lots of patience. If you eventually get the lid open, you still have to find out what's wrong. Search here for Trunk lockout, there are several posts.
after looking again it wasn’t the claws , it was that the boot pull down motor had failed at its highest point, so when pulling the emergency pull cable the part that lifts up the release button couldn’t reach , I’m going to strip the old one down and see if I can repair it , but just in case I’ve got a replacement coming early next week

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
it was that the boot pull down motor had failed at its highest point, so when pulling the emergency pull cable the part that lifts up the release button couldn’t reach
Unfortunately, that's the way it was badly designed. The trunk emergency release only works 100% when the lid is pulled down. It sounds more like the lock has failed to open than the pull down motor? But you should find this out when you start replacing parts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Unfortunately, that's the way it was badly designed. The trunk emergency release only works 100% when the lid is pulled down. It sounds more like the lock has failed to open than the pull down motor? But you should find this out when you start replacing parts.
Unfortunatly I feel the roof controller has an influance with this motor as well , having control whilst the roof operates.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Yes, the pull down is operated through the roof controller. The upper trunk lid lock which wraps its claw around the bar is controlled from the convenience unit and that can be defeated to open the lid and find out what else is wrong.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Hi all , I’ve a problem with my boot not opening, I can open the boot using the pull cable at the back seat but that’s all, the key , switch on drivers door , or vw badge will not work ,I have 2 Eos’s which one is working fine so I’ve swapped all the lock parts in the boot , I’ve belled the cable from the module in the glovebox and that is fine , but I’m not getting 12v to the lock to electrically release it , I used a battery pack and connected it to the lock and the lock releases , the pull down part works fine , I fitted another module in the glovebox and still get the same problem, the door locks work fine ,anyone had this problem ?
my next step will be to take out the battery and fuse box and check if there’s any broken wires , but if anyone can shine some light on this it would be very much appreciated
but I’m not getting 12v to the lock to electrically release it
Your fault could be in the glovebox convenience module then? There are many things run by that module so I'd surprised if there was no module power. If vcds scans it and lists it, it must have some power?

Have you read and understood this:? Because it should tell you what voltages are needed and what kind of voltages you should be able to measure. Also remember it takes 'Two to Tango', i.e a wire supplying +12v and another wire for ground, which is the same ground in the convenience module and at the lock. Do you have a workshop manual with wiring diagrams. You probably need one.

When you swap modules, do you check they are compatible parts and with the same coding?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Does the reversing light/fog light still work ok?. If not, seen similar when helping on another forum.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Nearly there Shep! It's actually whether the internal trunk light works or not, because that gets its ground from the same ground wire on the convenience control unit as used for the lock and pull down motor. Something reminds me that a good bulb in the trunk light is also needed. But I think he said the pull down motor works?

It would be helpful if the OP actually listed what works and what doesn't work normally, not just what seems o.k when tested with external batteries or power sources.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The earth for the rear fog/reverse uses the same earth as the trunk/boot latch and can fail due to broken wire where it gets bent with opening the boot over time and stop the boot from opening. He may have checked the wire from the module, but has he checked the earth to the boot lid? As you said, it takes 2 to tango

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Also, I can't remember if the trunk electronic release via the fob, badge, or door switch is disabled when the roof is stuck in its cycle and hasn't completed? Usually you get the roof dash light warning error. I've had the roof controller completely unplugged and the top lid lock works, but the pull down doesn't. If the OP starts disconnecting the roof controller without taking precautions, he risks the lid locking him out and more grief to open it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi ,thank you for all your replies , I’ve solved the problem, the plug that fits into the top boot lock was the problem , when I tested it with the multimeter I was doing it from where the wires go into the connector which was fine , but the terminal inside the plug had corroded ( school boy error 🙄 and a lot of wasted time ) bit embarrassed I didn’t find it straight away, but I’ve learnt a little bit more now , thanks again 👍

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
it takes 2 to tango
Another common mistake using multimeters is to connect one lead to the nearest ground metal and not the actual ground wire connected to the device or module. Still, at least you had a go and learned some things. The same problem can occur with the positive side, because V.W bury common taps for either inside their wiring looms and don't tell you where they are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts