Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this issue of the boot not opening, either manually operating the badge when all doors are opened, using the switch inside or using the remote control? As the luggage cover is in the up position, I am also unable to operate the roof. :confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. It allows me to open the boot manually but once shut, I am still unable to open the boot via the normal methods. In fact, I subsequently discovered that, even with the luggage cover down, the roof will not operate and a message saying something like "boot locked" appears on the screen. I have checked the fuses and could not see anything wrong. I might have to call upon my VW garage again but at roughly £110/hour of labour charge, each visit becomes a costly one. I have recently had the passenger window stuck and it has costed me few bobs short of £400 to have the issue resolved.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sounds like a car to think about selling. However, it would be a tough sale without being able to show the top operation or opening the boot. Looks like you'll need a tube of K-Y for your trip to the VW dealer. With the K-Y, it won't hurt so much when you bend over.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a car to think about selling. However, it would be a tough sale without being able to show the top operation or opening the boot. Looks like you'll need a tube of K-Y for your trip to the VW dealer. With the K-Y, it won't hurt so much when you bend over.
If I was to sell my car, I would not replace it with a new EOS as I am not overly keen on the new front. I would have to say bye bye to VW me thinks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
trunk lid unlock on one side only

I have a 2010. Twice now (but not every time) when I pulled the switch the trunk clunks as usual but when I lift it will not open. It seems that it is not releasing on one side. After pushing on lid to relock and then cycling through roof down and then up, it will eventually properly open. Any ideas?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a 2010. Twice now (but not every time) when I pulled the switch the trunk clunks as usual but when I lift it will not open. It seems that it is not releasing on one side. After pushing on lid to relock and then cycling through roof down and then up, it will eventually properly open. Any ideas?
Sometimes the trunk lid can re-close itself before you can get to open it. When the lid is open you will see two large rubber 'stoppers' facing upwards, at the top back (towards the cabin) of the trunk opening on each side, these press against the lid to push it upwards but sometimes one or both of them stick. Press each one down a few times with your hand and make sure it springs up freely. I got this tip from someone else on the Eos Club forums and it worked for me and the problem hasn't re-occurred yet.

Update: I really shouldn't depend on my memeory - the 'bungs' are actually on the bottom edge of the trunk lid (one each end). I re-checked today. You can move them about with your fingers. Sorry for the inaccuracy in the original post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To Tintin:
You need to replace the boot locking mechanism (something called ZZH, or "Zuziehhilfe". Don't you love German words?). It's no big deal, though I don't have a clue how much VW will charge for it. I've had this issue with an early production car, and the solution was just swapping parts. The locking mechanism has a sensor that tells the car when the boot is closed. Without it there's no roof operation possible.
To ububba:
You have a mechanical problem in the roof system. One of the hooks that hold the trunk lid while the roof is operating is apparently not releasing. As far as I can recall, the hook is spring loaded to close, and power operated to open, so if it's not opening completely, there's something wrong with it. It has happened that, as the hook's shaft is only pressed into place, it sometimes loses its position. Try opening the boot lid and compare the rear-most side hooks. They may show signs of wear, or may be in different positions. If that's the case, you may have to replace the one that opens the least

·
Registered
1 Posts
To Tintin:
You need to replace the boot locking mechanism (something called ZZH, or "Zuziehhilfe". Don't you love German words?). It's no big deal, though I don't have a clue how much VW will charge for it. I've had this issue with an early production car, and the solution was just swapping parts. The locking mechanism has a sensor that tells the car when the boot is closed. Without it there's no roof operation possible.
To ububba:
You have a mechanical problem in the roof system. One of the hooks that hold the trunk lid while the roof is operating is apparently not releasing. As far as I can recall, the hook is spring loaded to close, and power operated to open, so if it's not opening completely, there's something wrong with it. It has happened that, as the hook's shaft is only pressed into place, it sometimes loses its position. Try opening the boot lid and compare the rear-most side hooks. They may show signs of wear, or may be in different positions. If that's the case, you may have to replace the one that opens the least
Dear friend,

I've the same problem as you said to ububba.
Please can you tell me how can I fix it? My left side hook lost it's position.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You Guys need to get diagnostics and understand what they tell you! What starts as a 'my trunk lock doesn't work' becomes the 'hinge locks are malfunctioning'. - The trunk lock won't work work if the roof close operation and locking claws did not fully open and send the correct message to the roof controller. You can prove it is not the trunk lock by pulling the red emergency trunk open pull. Provided the cable hasn't broken, if the trunk is still locked you can just about see the 'C' claw positions through the ski hatch with a flashlight. Whilst VW thought an emergency trunk release was a good idea, they didn't include the 'C' locks in their thinking!

If I am thinking the same hooks, I had mine jam closed once and get out of sync when I was doing roof work - the roof would not close. Access is tight but it is possible to release the pump valve and push the claws or rams in the hinge assembly against the now reduced hydraulic ram pressure. However, of the trunk is stuck with locked claws you cannot open it to access the hinges either side. Even when the trunk is stuck locked by one claw engaged, I posted a method (alias voxmagna) where you can loop a wire around the claw via the ski panel and pull it open. Get them both in the correct position and try again.

When the roof completes its operation successfully, the last stage is to unlock the claws. If both 'C' claws are not open and the trunk is locked, then it has nothing to do with the trunk lock - the last roof operation failed and you have to use diagnostics to see what the sensors are doing and what errors are given.

I think it strange that one 'C' claw is open and the other is closed. Both hydraulic rams should be in the same position. You could have a problem with the ram or the roof pump internal valves. All things on the EOS roof hydraulics work in pairs with symmetry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My problem is a bit complicated. When I pull the emergency relesse ( red curcle in the ski pass ) trunk dosent open. And also when I try to open trunk via key or a VW emblem on trunk, nothing hapens. By the way, board computer says all the time that the trunk is opened. Is there any other way to open it ?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Didn't I explain in this and other recent posts if you search, that if you can't open the trunk with the emergency release you probably have to investigate the locking 'C' claws which are part of the roof system operation? :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same type of problem. I've noted all messages so far, Stupidly I allowed my battery to drain. I trickle charged and then jumped after 5 hours. Everything seems OK. Roof opened and closed as it should. Tried to open it today to receive Error Message "Open Rear Lock". It appears boot is open on right but caught on left. So far same as other problems
The sliding roof does attempt to open but there's a graunching noise and roof stops. It's now stuck half way open and half way closed. I can fully open but not fully close. It looks like rain tonight! Can this be caused by same "locking claws" problem? Or is the sliding roof issue a separate problem?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Think of your EOS as a (unreliable) automatic washing machine running a full cotton wash cycle. :) When the program faults part way through, the front door can be locked, the drum is full of water and lights are flashing at you. :eek:

The washing machine service tech. will determine the point at which the program has stopped by a simple evaluation. E.g has water pumped out, is the drum empty of water, has the spin cycle started. If he doesn't reach the correct diagnosis and follows procedure, he could trick the door lock and you end up with water spilling out everywhere. Only the tech. with eyes on the problem is in the best position.

In the case of the EOS a proper diagnostics scan will determine what faults have been stored, whether any should be cleared and by analysing the sensor responses, what stage the roof has stopped, where and which parts move to next, what might be stopping it and whether it can be moved back through stages without damage. Graunching noises can be a sign of expensive doom. :eek:

If you fail to evaluate what's going wrong with diagnostics first and the roof gets itself into an abnormal condition, you could cause a lot of expensive damage. Sometimes it is best to consider using a professional and paying less money than the cost of a new roof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you try this?
Hi guys,

new eos owner and it sounds like I’m in the same boat as here but I’m unable to see the linked video.
My battery has been dead, my roof won’t open electronically or manually and all of my windows are currently stuck down,

help, please....
Shaun

1 - 20 of 26 Posts