Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of a Certified Pre-Owned 2007 Eos and am thrilled about the car! I picked it up only 4 days ago and have barely put 100kms on it since driving it away from the dealership.

However, I noticed something a little strange most of the time when I put the car in park. After putting the car in park and taking my foot of the brake or taking the keys out of the ignition, the car almost always rolls back a few inches. It doesn't roll back a completely alarming amount, but it rolls back significantly enough that it has caused concern. I have driven a wide variety of cars in my day and have never, ever had this happen on any model or brand. My significant other also noticed this when he drove my car to the store.

Considering that VW supposedly does a 120 point inspection (or something like that) on their certified pre-loved vehicles, I was surprised to have any issues so soon. My dealer told me before purchasing that they do not let vehicles off the lot unless their brakes and tires have at least 50% worth of wear left. So I can't figure out what is going on. We're wondering if it's a transmission issue. I'm stumped!

Any tips would be appreciated! The dealership owes me an oil change next week so I'll definitely bring this matter up then in the hopes they'll remedy the problem ASAP.

All of this said, I'm still in love with my new ride! I even drove with the top down for 20 minutes on Christmas Eve in -2C weather. I didn't use the wind screen and was impressed with how well the heated seats performed. I'd have driven a little longer top-down but didn't appreciate other drivers shaking their heads at me. LOL!

Wishing everyone a happy, safe holiday season!

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,256 Posts
I'd be surprised if it is really a "few inches". That seems like a bit of normal movement for the DSG.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for clarifying that it's "normal" Darren and yes, it indeed does roll about 3 inches in our driveway. My fiance watched the roll when I parked today. Like I said in my post, it's not an alarming amount of roll but I've never experienced this in any car before and I have driven a wide variety of vehicles all with different transmission types. I might expect such on a hill but not on a flat surface. I do a lot of city driving and have to park on hills frequently so I'd hate to roll back and damage my precious ride! :)

I did a search online and found out on another forum many Eos users utilize their parking brake even when not parking on a hill for this reason. I've never ever had to use a parking brake in a relatively level lot, but if that's what it takes that's what I'll do. From the sounds of things, this is an Eos trait. It is what it is and I'll deal with it. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about it at all... I love my Eos!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that it's "normal" Darren and yes, it indeed does roll about 3 inches in our driveway. My fiance watched the roll when I parked today. Like I said in my post, it's not an alarming amount of roll but I've never experienced this in any car before and I have driven a wide variety of vehicles all with different transmission types. I might expect such on a hill but not on a flat surface. I do a lot of city driving and have to park on hills frequently so I'd hate to roll back and damage my precious ride! :)

I did a search online and found out on another forum many Eos users utilize their parking brake even when not parking on a hill for this reason. I've never ever had to use a parking brake in a relatively level lot, but if that's what it takes that's what I'll do. From the sounds of things, this is an Eos trait. It is what it is and I'll deal with it. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about it at all... I love my Eos!
Smurf, it's always a good idea to use your emergency brake, regardless of whether on a hill or flat.

If someone taps your car with another, the cog can break off of the tranny parking position, causing you to have to have your transmission repaired to restore the park position.

My belief is that you don't have a true 3 inches of travel after your car is put into the park position but even if that is true, it is still no big deal. Just use the emergency brake at all times.

It's a good habit to get into. I have been using my emergency brake for 53 years whether living in flat country, or mountainous country.

You can walk into my garage, right now, and you will find both of my vehicles with the emergency brake in use.

Again, just a good habit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks David!

That is helpful advice! I have been driving for nearly 18 years and unless I've been driving a standard/manual, I've never used the parking brake. Silly me! :eek:

I will do so now forever more! I want to keep my precious Eos in top form! :)

Everyone on this forum rocks!

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,256 Posts
I was told by friend who attended Porsche driving/race school that you should NOT apply the parking brake after driving because the heat of the rotors with the pads clamped on them leads to warped rotors.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I was told by friend who attended Porsche driving/race school that you should NOT apply the parking brake after driving because the heat of the rotors with the pads clamped on them leads to warped rotors.
Both pads squeeze the rotor equally on both sides, thereby eliminating the chance of warping.

Also, based on my personal experience, I have never had a single warped rotor in all of my driving history. Go figure, huh?

Maybe I had better attend the Porsche driving school.:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
Funny story. For over thirty years, I've always set the parking brake - force of habit since I've only owned manual transmission cars.

Visited the folks once and borrowed Mom's Toyota (which has an automatic transmission). Mom went out later to run an errand of her own, and immediately came back inside the house, "My car won't back out of the garage - something's wrong!" I of course had set the parking brake, which she never uses...

·
Life is good... so far
1,065 Posts
Since I live in the Midwest where it is rather flat, I don't use the parking (emergency) brake as a rule except rare occasions such as when working on the car or parking on a steep grade. I engage the parking brake first and the put the trans lever in Park. It makes it much easier to get the car out of Park. When you want to take the lever out of park, reverse the procedure. While growing up, we lived where it was hilly. Some of dad's cars that had automatic transmissions did not have Park, so we had the use the Emergency brake.

·
Too old to be Junior User
469 Posts
I am guessing that this was good advice on the day, as the brakes would have been glowing after thrashing Porsches around a track all day.

Brakes wouldn't get nearly as hot in normal use.

·
South Australian Owner
196 Posts
Parking Brake is for parking

Maybe I am old school- but don't they teach you to apply the parking brake every time the car is parked in driving school?

It prevents many things like:

1. Car rolling forward on a slope
2. Car rolling forward/backwards if struck
3. Car lurching forward if you have forgotten to disengage the gears and you release the clutch in manual transmissions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Interesting debate here! My beloved Eos is going to the dealership next week for an oil change and Krytox treatment so I'll ask them about the rolling issue then. I've been using the parking brake in the meantime.

Love the car but I'm worried about a couple of things so far besides the rolling issue. I've only had the car for less than 2 weeks so I'm praying I didn't get a lemon! The brakes squeal fairly loudly for the first few minutes of driving but the sound subsides after a while. I think I can handle this although it is a bit annoying...

Also, it rained a LOT yesterday and I didn't drive the car until today at which point I noticed that a chunk of ice had formed in between my driver's side door and the inside of the car. Should I be worried about leaks? I'm in Toronto and the temperature went from an abnormal +10C yesterday to -3C today so any water that accumulated likely froze quickly. Thankfully the carpets didn't get wet but I'm hoping in warmer temperatures I won't get leaks!!! I'm being paranoid because I really want the best for my "new to me" car!

Fortunately, as mentioned, I have an appointment at the dealership next week and bought the car "Certified" so I'm hoping fixing any of these issues, if necessary, will be covered. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for everyone's input! Muchly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Interesting debate here! My beloved Eos is going to the dealership next week for an oil change and Krytox treatment so I'll ask them about the rolling issue then. I've been using the parking brake in the meantime.

Love the car but I'm worried about a couple of things so far besides the rolling issue. I've only had the car for less than 2 weeks so I'm praying I didn't get a lemon! The brakes squeal fairly loudly for the first few minutes of driving but the sound subsides after a while. I think I can handle this although it is a bit annoying...

Also, it rained a LOT yesterday and I didn't drive the car until today at which point I noticed that a chunk of ice had formed in between my driver's side door and the inside of the car. Should I be worried about leaks? I'm in Toronto and the temperature went from an abnormal +10C yesterday to -3C today so any water that accumulated likely froze quickly. Thankfully the carpets didn't get wet but I'm hoping in warmer temperatures I won't get leaks!!! I'm being paranoid because I really want the best for my "new to me" car!

Fortunately, as mentioned, I have an appointment at the dealership next week and bought the car "Certified" so I'm hoping fixing any of these issues, if necessary, will be covered. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for everyone's input! Muchly appreciated!
Assuming the ice chunk was on the "interior" side of the door gasket, then yes, you probably have a leak.

VW started using an improved gasket system starting with the 09 Eos but I have heard that this system can also be installed in older models. It is apparently a very large job.

There has been a tremendous amount of discussion on this forum regarding leaks for various model years and I can assure you, the opinions are numerous. :)

The warranty will apply, as long as the mileage is still under the warranty limits.

By the way, what is your current vehicle mileage?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been using the parking brake in the meantime.
It sounds as though you're relying on the transmission alone to hold the car when parked rather than the handbrake/parking brake. I'm of the same mind as Midician, the handbrake is the primary method of keeping the car stationary when parked - not the park position in the transmission for all the reasons he stated as well as prevents the car having that little roll. ;) Good to read you're now using the car correctly. :D

I reckon a slight roll is nothing to worry about. Depending on how the transmission was loaded when you stopped, all the slight roll is doing is taking up the backlash in the system. Exactly the same would happen using a manual transmission if someone was leaving it in gear as the only method of restraining the car when parked. :)

The only vehicle type I park not using a parking brake is my motorbike - simply because it doesn't have one, only on that do I use the transmission to act as a parking brake when on a slope. Oddly enough that rolls very slightly as the backlash is taken out the system. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for everyone's feedback here! I was away for a week and had the Eos in the shop for a different issue (rattle in dash by the passenger seat) so I've been busy!

Happy to report that I don't think I have a leak! Yay! I took a hose to it and noticed no issues. The ice that appeared after the big rains were outside of the interior of the car meaning things were draining as normal. Or at least I hope! No trunk leaks, no musty carpets, no wet seats so far! Knock on wood! I think I was just being paranoid.

As for the roll in park about which I originally posted, my local VW dealership says it's normal and to use that parking brake all the time. So far so good! I'm used to using it now. It's a habit!

I have to say, I'm REALLY impressed with VW. The dealership that handled the "rattle repair" was stellar. I was amazed by the follow up calls and overall kind customer service. I'm so happy with my decision. My Eos drives like a dream, even my used 2007 model. It is so much fun to drive. I was given a 2011 Jetta to drive for a day while my Eos was being repaired and while I was very grateful for the VW loaner, I was SO happy to be back in my hip, "torquey" Eos! Love it!

My only issue with the Eos is... I live in Toronto and we're expecting a storm tomorrow. I just want it to be spring already so I can take that top down! :)

Safe travels, everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts