Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished changing the rear pads on my 2006 EOS. What a pain winding back the pistons even with the correct tool. I loosened the bleed nipple which helped a little, but does anyone have any other tips?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I have the tool and it worked fine for me. I usually run the correct size drill into the peg holes first to clean out brake dust before using the tool. Usually you are supposed to open the bleed nipple and never re-use the fluid because as you wind the piston back, crud inside can get dislodged back into the brake line. The thread is very coarse and it's mean't to wind forwards easier than go back, but will with a little patience. If your pistons are that hard to turn I think I would have a good look at them because they can get seized up? Wind them back and forth a few times and see if it gets easier? If I do any work on brakes I'm always giving all parts a good inspection and looking for other issues like sticking pistons and pads seizing in the caliper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the tool and it worked fine for me. I usually run the correct size drill into the peg holes first to clean out brake dust before using the tool. Usually you are supposed to open the bleed nipple and never re-use the fluid because as you wind the piston back, crud inside can get dislodged back into the brake line. The thread is very coarse and it's mean't to wind forwards easier than go back, but will with a little patience. If your pistons are that hard to turn I think I would have a good look at them because they can get seized up? Wind them back and forth a few times and see if it gets easier? If I do any work on brakes I'm always giving all parts a good inspection and looking for other issues like sticking pistons and pads seizing in the caliper.
Thank you that’s very useful.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi

All good advice from vox. I replaced the rear caliper as when I tried to push back the piston it was very stiff / almost impossible to do . Sounds like your caliper may be on the way out .

Just keep an eye in it and see if you get a grinding sound as the caliper is not pulling the pads off the disk .

Regards

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Those single pot VAG calipers are a pain in the backside. In theory they are supposed to self centralize but I've often had problems with them. The clue is when you change pads. Look at each pad and in theory they should both be worn down the same amount. I never find this even after cleaning the sliders and using a smidge of copper grease. One pad side always wears more than the other and my conclusion is the single piston sliding design puts more effort on the piston side of the caliper than the sliding claw side. It's not just the pads but also the rotors that wear unevenly on the pad contact surfaces which you can confirm if you measure the rotor edge ridge depth inside and outside. I've always had it in mind to replace the stock single pot calipers with multi pot versions compatible with my wheel sizes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts