Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the other day a plastic part in my 2007 eos broke and was logged in the sunroof railing. I was able to remove the broken pieces and the sunroof closed, but can't find the exact part looking at the roof parts diagrams. I only have a partial number for it - 1Q0 871 - seems to be the sunroof guider, but... Can anyone help pinpoint what that part is and if it's sold separately or as a part of a kit that would be required anyone for the reasemble of the roof section.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
It's only available as a kit of parts for left and right.
or as a part of a kit that would be required anyone for the reasemble of the roof section.
Read the workshop manual procedures first for removing an EOS sunroof and realignment after replacing it. You may find it's above most peoples (anyone's!) basic DIY skill level. But be the first to share your work here and be the first to do the repair satisfactorily without a leaking sunroof or more broken parts afterwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Is that it -number 12 on the picture - i'm only able to find is as a spare whole part, not a repair kit or is it number 3?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I've never had to replace mine so sorry can't advise. But if you visit a V.W dealer they are good at reading V.W parts list and you would have to buy from them or their service network. Personally I don't work like that. I'd find out if I can get what I think are the correct parts first, then start the work until I had the broken pieces in my hands and hopefully good parts on the other side to compare. Then I'd look at the broken parts for a part number and go from there. But you should ask yourself the question: Why has this part failed? MY07 and other EOS's as old as mine still have the original undamaged parts? I suspect the damage is a consequence of the sunroof mechanism failing but it's down to you with help from the shop manual to thoroughly investigate. Otherwise you could suffer the pain of replacing broken parts only to find the same thing happens again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is a piece of the sliders that are on each side......when the top retracts back, an arm on each side slides these back and spreads the roof pillars apart to clear the back seat and fall into the pocket.
Above is the superseded part #
Here is a pic:

The tabs in the blue circles lock the front and rear track together, the squiggly track in the red circles spreads the pillars apart as this piece slides rearward.

Swapping this out requires complete disassembly of the roof pillars on each side. Both of mine are broke and I spent about 8 hours over the weekend looking closely at this whole assembly and how it works. I believe it can be done, but everything would have to be aligned. I have a pretty good idea of how to do that using the windshield frame and the pillar pins, but not 100% sure......I can tell you there is zero documentation on it anywhere on any site.
It is not terribly complex if you stare at it......the sunroof pulls all the way back past the split in the track allowing the front two pillar arms to spread as the top pulls back and slides the above piece rearward via the two arms I mentioned. When these two arms move rearward....the squiggly track spreads the pillars open.......that's it.
What I believe is happening a lot of times and what happened to mine is the sunroof doesn't make it back all of the way......if it doesn't get past the track split, the pillars cannot spread....and cracks the piece off in the OP's post.

Jebby

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I can tell you there is zero documentation on it anywhere on any site.
Not quite. The shop manual has a section on the roof top sections, sunroof and a poor diagram of what screws to leave alone if you can work it out from their diagram. The shop manual is helpful but you will still be working things out for yourself. Jump to conclusions and they will catch you out. For most parts in there that can be removed, there are implications for alignment afterwards once you put a wrench on bolts.
everything would have to be aligned. I have a pretty good idea of how to do that using the windshield frame and the pillar pins, but not 100% sure
You may need the VAS6370 service tool and there is a procedure in the manual if you read it. I bought one used for £50.

Members will look forward to your write up after a successful repair because their isn't much posted. You will have fun with the top roof sections and learn a lot. Just getting access and putting the parts back is one headache, getting a sunroof so well aligned it doesn't chew up its motor gears, Octopus cables, or leak is the hardest part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not quite. The shop manual has a section on the roof top sections, sunroof and a poor diagram of what screws to leave alone if you can work it out from their diagram. The shop manual is helpful but you will still be working things out for yourself. Jump to conclusions and they will catch you out. For most parts in there that can be removed, there are implications for alignment afterwards once you put a wrench on bolts.
You may need the VAS6370 service tool and there is a procedure in the manual if you read it. I bought one used for £50.

Members will look forward to your write up after a successful repair because their isn't much posted. You will have fun with the top roof sections and learn a lot. Just getting access and putting the parts back is one headache, getting a sunroof so well aligned it doesn't chew up its motor gears, Octopus cables, or leak is the hardest part.
What does the VAS6370 service tool look like? Google comes up with zilch.

Thanks,
Jebby

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Yep that's the one. Telescopic, end parts fit in sunroof rails and there's a micrometer type screw with a scale on one end. What's it for? Well once you start digging into the sunroof slider rails you need to know the big rectangular hole with rails isn't going to be skewed, because the sunroof panel dropping like a rectangular peg into a rectangular hole must fit true within 1mm for the seals to align and not leak water. If the frame guides have been damaged, you can't assume the sunroof rails are parallel and square with minimal friction unless you check them.

I've considered other methods that might work, but the problem is the tool is not only used to get the rails back running square, but also sets their 'absolute' spacing across the roof as defined in the shop manual. If you don't bother with any of this and the sunroof binds as it runs into or out of 'tapered' side rails, it might stop on pinch protection and after a few attempts, the motor torque will either chew the Octopus cable or rip teeth off the motor gear. All this can happen without care with alignment after putting it all back together with a big smile :) of success. The sunroof can leak and bind several operations later. But you learned it took you hours and days to attempt a DIY repair and you will take it all apart again much faster.

O.k so you have the service tool and think you can overcome this problem? But there's nothing telling you about the rear section of the top seal that seals against the fixed panel and how that can have large or uneven gaps causing leaks afterwards. It's all part of the 'Think out of the box' learning curve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok….the wife and I went out today and pulled the roof from an 08’ EOS this morning in about 1.5 hours. The roof was $74.86 lol. It had the shade and everything else….I even nabbed the roof controller as part of the deal. Got a clean 17” Komfort rim for $36 too….gotta love Wrench a Part….with snacks and gas we have about $140 in getting this and about four hours to Austin and back.
We made especially sure that nothing was bent during removal, but unfortunately the hydraulic pump was removed and done poorly with snips.
That is ok as I can use the old pieces…..
My friend and I are going to hoist this in place tomorrow and get it locked down to square it up.
I will be using the windshield pillar to square the front…..and the windows to align the back glass module….
Stay tuned….I will take photos. We will be using an engine hoist and straps as a hoist…..

Jebby

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Keep up the good work. As well as the photos, we would like to be tuned into the results after you take it through a car wash. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts