Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Bulb sizes

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  geedee 
#1 ·
Could someone kindly let me know which size bulbs are used for dipped and main beam, as I wish to purchase upgraded ones befor I take delivery next month.

Thanks

Graham

#2 ·
Lightbulbs

If you are interested, there are some white halogen bulbs on Ebay, sepcifically designed to fit the Eos. I bought them and have been very happy - price right, bright white, and simple to install.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I just changed mine out for Luminics Titanium bulbs, The High and low beams are both H7s, the driving lights are 9006.

#7 · (Edited)
Because they are still just halogen bulbs made to mimic HID. The key word here is mimic.....You can achieve the same white light similar to HID, but you wont have the same brightness as real HID. They will be no brighter than a standard halogen bulb.

#8 ·
Bulbs

Thanks for your comments.

I think you will find that these bulbs are not halogen but are filled with Xenon gas. The reason that they are so inexpensive is that they do not require high voltage to fire them, which is why the factory fitted ones are so expensive (and brighter).

Phillips have just brought out a Xenon filled bulb that they claim gives 80% more light than a standard halogen, only problem is that you cannot get hold of them.

#9 ·
Thanks for your comments.

I think you will find that these bulbs are not halogen but are filled with Xenon gas. The reason that they are so inexpensive is that they do not require high voltage to fire them, which is why the factory fitted ones are so expensive (and brighter).

Phillips have just brought out a Xenon filled bulb that they claim gives 80% more light than a standard halogen, only problem is that you cannot get hold of them.

Wasn't there an article in Auto Express a few weeks ago saying that these Xenon replacement bulbs are dangerous and illegal? Something about running too hot for the design paramaters of the holder I think but I really can't remember why all that well. Look into it on their Website!

#11 ·
The Phillips xenon filled, together with Osram and others are EU approved and are rated at 55watt.
It is possible that you are refering to the PIAA style lights with outputs of 80-100 watt which are for off road use.

There is an aftermaket for HID lights which cost around £250 in the UK. These come complete with all connectors and power supply and as yet are not illegal, despite not having the height stabilisation system that is neccessary to ensure they do not blind oncomming vehicles.

#14 ·
How much did they run you?

I know if you get true High Intensity Discharge lights you have to replace the entire light (including the glass, lens, fittings.. etc.. hence the $1000 or more price.) Buying the xenon or halogen "upgrade" is just a more affordable option.

#15 ·
Xenon

Here in the UK they cost me £31 a pair ( about $55 at todays rate).
They are very intense white so if you are looking for a HID Xenon look, effect forget it !

On my own car, I already have factory fitted HID Xenon for the dipped beam so have upgraded the main beam to X-treme.

I shall be replacing both the dipped and main on my wife's car when it arrives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.