Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a car for my soon to be 16 year old and I came across a 2007 EOS. I was actually looking for a Bettle but this seems to be a nice car and only has 64,0000 miles. It has 2.0 and has automatic transmission, I am trying to test drive it this week the owner claims that the top will not fully retract. I asked if they have had it checked out and they claim they have not. i watched a few youtube videos on the top, is there anything else I should be aware of? The price seems fair and they are willing to negotiate. I am sure this will be a dealer fix situation any idea what the top might run worst case scenario? I understand it could be something simple also.

Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
103 Posts
To be honest Ryan, sadly I would walk away.
The roof may well cost you more to fix than the car is worth.
Many YouTube videos show an 'easy fix', but none show the reality of it not being a viable repair due to the cost of labor and parts.
Unless you have a great knowledge of these very complex systems or know someone who does, it could run into $1000's.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I'd agree. An EOS (or most other convertibles) is not a good choice as a first time car for a young person. They won't be able to afford the maintenance or repairs and you will just inherit a future headache to keep it on the road, particularly if they fly the nest for college and are some distance away. Choose a first car that's not special, popular in your/their local area and has good support from service shops. Look at what other 16-17 year olds are driving? Look at Golf and Passat non-cabriolets, there are plenty of those around.

Mileage isn't the main factor with a convertible. V.W engines can be pretty reliable, but it's the roof system and seals that need regular care from previous owners.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am looking for a car for my soon to be 16 year old and I came across a 2007 EOS. I was actually looking for a Bettle but this seems to be a nice car and only has 64,0000 miles. It has 2.0 and has automatic transmission, I am trying to test drive it this week the owner claims that the top will not fully retract. I asked if they have had it checked out and they claim they have not. i watched a few youtube videos on the top, is there anything else I should be aware of? The price seems fair and they are willing to negotiate. I am sure this will be a dealer fix situation any idea what the top might run worst case scenario? I understand it could be something simple also.

Thanks Ryan
Don't walk, run! Very likely the owner knows more than they are saying. These are not a car for a first car buyer, especially one that is 15 years old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well first off Thanks for all of your replies, I wasn’t expecting this outcome coming to a forum devoted to this car. I do really appreciate the honesty and will keep looking for something different. I really am just looking for something half way dependable she can drive around our small town. I have had some sticker shock around here with used cars and the mileage that they have. While I knew it wasn’t the most realistic car it seemed to be in good condition and the mileage was within reason for the price.

Again Thanks for your feedback
Ryan

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
We are devoted to both the car AND its owners. Go with your heart, then if things go wrong and the repair costs frighten you, or you can't find a competent person to do repairs, you may remember what we tried to tell you. If you want more convincing, spend $60 on an EOS shop manual download and see how far you get reading the 6000+ pages. At least you will get an idea what trained V.W tech's have to do and even they can't fix everything. You could also go to your local shops and ask them if they have worked on EOS roofs, replaced one, how many they get in with leaks and how many they have successfully repaired?

Reactions: Dwander

·
Dwander
15 Posts
Ryan.
I bought my VR6 with a non functioning top. It would start and immediately shut down so I knew it at least ran (immobilizer issue). Fortunately found the original key fob under the seat while I was cleaning and it started ran and drove very well.
I enjoyed driving it as coupe with a sunroof for a year plus before I dove into diagnosing and repairing the top. I didn't even know it was a 6 cyl till after I got it. So I was very lucky not to get stuck with a lemon.
I spent that year reading everything I could find about EOS and there is a LOT of info.
I agree with most on here that this is NOT a car for a new driver. But my oh my it is a sweet car for an older guy like me . :)
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your situation with your top is what the owner has described to me. Part of me had thought before I posted my question was just to pick it up and not worry about getting the top fixed and let her drive it around as is. The car has 64,000 miles they are asking 6,500 but mentioned that they were willing to negotiate. So I figured if I picked up the car for around 5 and it was dependable enough to let her drive around our little town for a couple of years, it might not be a bad investment. Most of the used cars I have seen lately all have excessively high mileage or the asking price is more than I wanted to spend. The pictures of the car look immaculate. I have been waiting for them to get back with me, so I am continuing to look but I will go see it in person and if the price is right well we will see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I guess these wonderful cars are rare in the US going by the prices, as here in the the UK a non-functioning roof version can be bought for under £1000. Got mine for £2800 (2.0 TSi) with full service history from a dealer and it had 78K on the clock. (And that was in July, so the prime time to sell a cabriolet).
Had Her for 2 years now with zero issues. Just hope that continues...🤞
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your situation with your top is what the owner has described to me. Part of me had thought before I posted my question was just to pick it up and not worry about getting the top fixed and let her drive it around as is. The car has 64,000 miles they are asking 6,500 but mentioned that they were willing to negotiate. So I figured if I picked up the car for around 5 and it was dependable enough to let her drive around our little town for a couple of years, it might not be a bad investment. Most of the used cars I have seen lately all have excessively high mileage or the asking price is more than I wanted to spend. The pictures of the car look immaculate. I have been waiting for them to get back with me, so I am continuing to look but I will go see it in person and if the price is right well we will see.
Go for a Civic, Accord, Camry, or other Japanese/Korean car. They are rock solid reliable and virtually everyone fixes them. I bought a '98 Civic 20 years ago with 75,000 miles on it (seemed to be largely highway miles). Drove it for 18 years until the clutch started slipping and it failed inspection for some undercarriage rust (sold it on Craigs list for $500). My wife has had nothing but Hondas (Accords, CRVs) for 30+ years with virtually no problems. You might even consider an earlier (2007-2015) Honda CRV. Most are 4WD and I believe all are automatic, use 87 octane gas (Eos wants 91 octane which is usually only availabe as 93 RON) and standard motor oil (Eos needs full synthetic VW spec).

I bought a near-perfect condition 2007 basic 2.0T Eos with manual transmission 2 1/2 years ago for $6,500. Had 77,000 miles on it with full carfax showing that it was maintained by a VW dealer. So far it has been a good driver but is now due for a cam belt change. Likely at least $1,000. I was not looking for an Eos but I needed something and found a reputable used car dealer who specialized in mostly German cars.

Used cars are expensive for a number of reasons.

Reactions: voxmagna
1 - 10 of 10 Posts