Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the glass roof open half way, then the well known "clicking" , I did a manual close.
I replaced the gear in the electric motor, the glass roof opened. Now, it wont stay closed, it gets to the closed position and reopens (like it needs a default reset), can anyone help?
2006 2.0 Diesel

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Could be more than one thing? When you replaced the nylon gear did you wonder why it had failed? One cause of problems is stiffness or seizure in the track rails, Octopus cables or the sunshade, a fault which may still be there? The sunroof starts to open, gets to a stiff section, then the safety pinch protection kicks in (motor over current) thinking there are trapped fingers and then it winds itself back so said pinkies don't get crushed to the bone.

First try to move the sunroof from one end to the other on the manual key (without chewing it up!) to feel if it runs smoothly. Push the sunshade back so you aren't moving that too. It can be stiff to start, but once it gets moving it should be smooth all the way without needing Gorilla force on the key. There is a reset procedure, but if pinch is kicking in I think you have stiffness to check first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be more than one thing? When you replaced the nylon gear did you wonder why it had failed? One cause of problems is stiffness or seizure in the track rails, Octopus cables or the sunshade, a fault which may still be there? The sunroof starts to open, gets to a stiff section, then the safety pinch protection kicks in (motor over current) thinking there are trapped fingers and then it winds itself back so said pinkies don't get crushed to the bone.

First try to move the sunroof from one end to the other on the manual key (without chewing it up!) to feel if it runs smoothly. Push the sunshade back so you aren't moving that too. It can be stiff to start, but once it gets moving it should be smooth all the way without needing Gorilla force on the key. There is a reset procedure, but if pinch is kicking in I think you have stiffness to check first.
regarding the pinching issue, I cannot open sliding glass roof fully (so that's why I thought it was defaullting to the wrong place.)

I will try your suggestion, sadly the weather means it won't be today.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
If you can't open or close it fully on the manual key without excessive friction, the motor probably won't move it either and its path of least resistance is to chew up the nylon gear?

Keep trying the motor and the nylon gear will get stressed because there's no guarantee the trip level for pinch protection protects the gear from damage. Others have had this part fail so I suspect pinch protection doen't stop it breaking?
it gets to the closed position and reopens
The last stage of lowering and final closing is when there is most drag and highest motor current.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can't open or close it fully on the manual key without excessive friction, the motor probably won't move it either and its path of least resistance is to chew up the nylon gear?

Keep trying the motor and the nylon gear will get stressed because there's no guarantee the trip level for pinch protection protects the gear from damage. Others have had this part fail so I suspect pinch protection doen't stop it breaking?
The last stage of lowering and final closing is when there is most drag and highest motor current.
I can fully open and close the sliding glass roof using the manual key using reasonable effort.
The electric motor comfortably closes the glass roof but then reverts to half way open.
The electric switch will not move the glass further than the half way position.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I can fully open and close the sliding glass roof using the manual key using reasonable effort.
That's the first thing checked. Now you can move to try the reset method (in the owners manual):

1. Get the sunroof to the part open position manually.
2. Close the drivers door and insert the key in the lock.
3. Turn the key fully clockwise and hold it there for 10 seconds. The sunroof glass should move to the fully open or closed position.
4. ..immediately turn the key fully anti-clockwise and hold it there for 10 seconds. The sunroof should move in the opposite direction.

You may have to repeat this a couple of times. If the glass starts moving, stops and winds back I think there's still a friction or pinch protection problem?

Somebody else tried an aftermarket nylon cog repair and had problems. It's been a while since I looked closely at my SR motor but I thought the pcb was open with a slot over the gear. If that's for a tacho or position sensing, there could be something embedded in the nylon to detect or it uses a compound which allows the teeth to be counted? Since I wasn't having motor issues I wasn't looking too hard.

If you try the reset I suggested and it doesn't work, I'll suggest something else, but you still might have hit a problem with your aftermarket gear? These are sold mostly for Golfs but sellers often claim EOS compatibility when most EOS roof related parts are unique in some way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the first thing checked. Now you can move to try the reset method (in the owners manual):

1. Get the sunroof to the part open position manually.
2. Close the drivers door and insert the key in the lock.
3. Turn the key fully clockwise and hold it there for 10 seconds. The sunroof glass should move to the fully open or closed position.
4. ..immediately turn the key fully anti-clockwise and hold it there for 10 seconds. The sunroof should move in the opposite direction.

You may have to repeat this a couple of times. If the glass starts moving, stops and winds back I think there's still a friction or pinch protection problem?

Somebody else tried an aftermarket nylon cog repair and had problems. It's been a while since I looked closely at my SR motor but I thought the pcb was open with a slot over the gear. If that's for a tacho or position sensing, there could be something embedded in the nylon to detect or it uses a compound which allows the teeth to be counted? Since I wasn't having motor issues I wasn't looking too hard.

If you try the reset I suggested and it doesn't work, I'll suggest something else, but you still might have hit a problem with your aftermarket gear? These are sold mostly for Golfs but sellers often claim EOS compatibility when most EOS roof related parts are unique in some way.
I did the key thing and the roof never moved at all

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
You can remove the sunroof motor and test it outside the sunroof assembly when it won't have any friction. You should be able to do the key in lock calibration and watch the motor spindle gear rotate in either direction to each end stop. You can leave the sunroof motor plug unplugged for 1/2 hour with some kitchen foil on the motor connector to discharge the controller memory

There is some useful info in this thread:
Still not sure about the non OE parts you fitted though?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts