Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what folk pay for car insurance.
I'm presently with Directline, and it was about £300 last year - renewal shortly will be c£400 - quite a bit more.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 2.0 TFSI Sport, Black, Black Leather, Dynaudio
33 Posts
I pay £280 with Admiral. It was £263 on my renewal but they decided to charge me £17 for making a late claim when someone scuffed my front bumper. The 3rd party took responsibility and paid for the repair, but Admiral won't give my £17 back.

They were still £30 cheaper that anything else I could find on comparison sites.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks - just tried to get a quote from them - but ended up with a blank page, having input all the info... sigh

It's always so complex, with so many variables.
mm

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm presently with Directline, and it was about £300 last year - renewal shortly will be c£400 - quite a bit more.

any thoughts?
This all depends on many factors.

1. Your age
2. Your occupation
3. How long you have held a full licence
4. If you have points on your licence
5. Where do you live
6. If it's left in a garage/road/drive
7. The car's specifications
8. How many miles you will be doing

Mine is £169.16 With SAGA.

Black VW EOS 2.0 TSi Sport - 200BHP

I have my Wife as a second driver, as that brings the price down. (But She has no idea She is on my policy)
Fully comprehensive with zero excess to pay on anything except the windscreen. (£60)
I'm 53, clean licence for 35 years. Kept on the drive. 6000 Miles a year, as I have 2 other cars, a works van and a motorbike to use.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Brand

Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot Number

·
Registered
114 Posts
Holy sh_t! You guys across the pond get away cheaply. I pay about $1,100 for two vehicles: 2017 Honda CRV and 2007 Eos. In the US, that is not a bad price. Includes comprehensive, collision, and persoal liability ($500,000). Insurance is regulated by the indiidual states and they all have minimum requirements. .

·
Registered
210 Posts
Holy sh_t! You guys across the pond get away cheaply. I pay about $1,100 for two vehicles: 2017 Honda CRV and 2007 Eos. In the US, that is not a bad price. Includes comprehensive, collision, and persoal liability ($500,000). Insurance is regulated by the indiidual states and they all have minimum requirements. .
To buy an EOS here is cheap as chips too.

Unless you want this beast....

But if we want a piece of American Muscle, the price is a joke for us!

·
Administrator
2,573 Posts
Have you asked Chris Nott Insurance for a quote?

They are a supporting sponsor of this forum based in the UK and you should take the opportunity to get them to quote for your insurance requirements.

CHRIS KNOTT INSURANCE - the right choice for Eos Club members

QUOTELINE: 0800 917 2274 (now free for mobiles) :: CLUB DISCOUNT CODE: VWE-205

Reactions: cait

·
Registered
210 Posts

any thoughts?
Directline Insurance is not on comparison sites, so you will pay more.

Go Compare or Compare The Market will get you the best deal in the UK

·
Registered
210 Posts
It was on Go Compare that I ended up with Admiral in the first place
As I said, it all depends on your circumstances.

They are a supporting sponsor of this forum based in the UK and you should take the opportunity to get them to quote for your insurance requirements.

I'll do that and report back tomorrow. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

1. Your age
2. Your occupation
5. Where do you live

I have my Wife as a second driver, as that brings the price down. (But She has no idea She is on my policy)
Fully comprehensive with zero excess to pay on anything except the windscreen. (£60)
I'm 53, clean licence for 35 years. Kept on the drive. 6000 Miles a year, as I have 2 other cars, a works van and a motorbike to use.
View attachment 24811
View attachment 24812

cheers, I'll try them - I saw the thread, but last post c 2015, so wasn't sure if still going...
thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1. Your age
2. Your occupation
5. Where do you live

View attachment 24811
View attachment 24812
thanks - all so helpful!

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
I pay similar to Kickbox - around £160 this year. After you input factors you can't change like age, how you use the car (commuting/social etc) there are other variables based on risk and YOU can decide how much risk you are prepared to take on.

The highest risk lowest price on an older car could be 3rd party cover only? Your car may be over 10 years old, find out its write off value. If low because they won'y pay out more. How many miles per year? Most Insurances like booking cheap flights tempt you with addons - no claims protection, legal protection, breakdown insurance etc. Some quotes build these in and hope you won't notice! Again it's all about what level of risk are you prepared to take on and risk goes down if your car is driveway parked and isn't used for daily commute in heavy traffic.

For the last few years the difference in price between 3rd party only (without fire) and fully comprehensive has been small, particularly if a spouse is added as a named driver - They think you are a lower risk! The insurance market in U.K has changed since companies were told they couldn't offer new business and lower sweetner price, offers and discounts to attract you - but most then hike the renewal prices next year! We never used the same company 2 years in succession. But now, most seemed to have levelled their prices upwards.

If you are an apprehensive worrier without backup savings to cover your own risk, you will buy expensive insurance. Otherwise, you can fine tune your car insurance and pay less to take more risks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aargh, now trying to do the go compare thing - but they have a question about accidents - I had a completely not my fault accident in 2019, which involved car repair and 'free' hire car. I have no idea what the 'claim' was - but I seem to have to state this. Needless to say getting this information feels probably impossible. Sigh. So I may have to stay with Directline because of this - I wonder if that's why my insurance is higher ? - I have heard that you end up 'paying' for accidents even if agreed not your fault. (In this case, someone drove into me as I was turning into a busy road - or at least as I was waiting to turn, and they thought I'd already pulled out - it was dark etc.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PS forgot to check Saga.
managed to get the info from old insurer about accident claim.
GoCompare drew me to Churchill c£300 - so, £100 less than renewing insurance - though that may be because I didn't put business in this time - as situation has changed.
Should have checked Saga, but ... forgot.
thanks for all your help
it is done now (unless I claim back in 14 days - hope not - more faff).
thanks, again.
c
phew
PS Chris Knott were nice, but the quote seemed high - so I'm leaving that for now. I think they go for more expensive cars than mine praps?
So much to consider...

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Pros & cons with all these companies. It's not until you need to interface with them via their customer services you find out how hard and impersonal it can be. I always phone their customer services with a question and if I get a robot chat bot or wait more than 10 minutes for a human, I know I could get comms problems if I had to deal with them.

One thing I've never found on this site is a company offering mechanical breakdown insurance which includes fixing cabriolet leaking roofs. My V.W Tdi has been 100% reliable up to now on engine and manual transmission and I see little benefit adding this cover. But each takes their own risk or pays for extras.

·
Registered
1 Posts

any thoughts?
Lucky you...I struggled to find a company to insure mine as it was imported for Oz...had limited ttime to sort so now paying £600...hoping Ill get some tips for cheaper insurers for next year?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts