Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new baby is due in a month or so and I was wondering what people favour as the best products for keeping their Eos's at their best i.e car wash or hand wash - best for keeping those stone chips to a minimum - best shine, anything really ?

· Life is good... so far
1,232 Posts
I don't know how your roads are compared to ours and if you do a lot of highway driving, Some type of front end protection would be helpful. The splashguards probably would be of value as well as the Eos monster mats on the floors. Avoid high pressure car washes.

· Registered
172 Posts
Here are my tips for what they're worth:

Washing: never hand wash or touch the paintwork, or you will get swirlmarks. Take the car to a jetwash* that uses hot, soapy demineralised water, then dry off immediately after the wash while you're still at the car wash using a silicone squeegee and microfibre towel - do not be tempted to drive home to dry the car, otherwise (a) the water droplets will dry on the paintwork and leave marks (yes, even with demineralised water) and (b) the paintwork will get covered in dust, meaning any drying or polishing you do will scratch the paint.

Waxing/polishing: I hardly ever polish as this removes the paint or lacquer. I wax about 4 times per year, using AutoGlym.

Leather care: I have tried just about every product on the market. Lexol is great for conditioning (once a month) and Mer Cleaner & Conditioner is best for cleaning, IMO. Liquid Leather smells nice, but it's greasy and is difficult to remove. Don't forget to use cleaner & conditioner on the headrests and steering wheel regularly, as these areas get the most abuse from sweat!

Wheels: always remove brake dust asap as, once wet from the rain, it corrodes the wheels!

Hope this gives you a few ideas :)

* - with the Eos you have to be extra gentle on the roof with a jetwash!

· Registered
47 Posts
Have to disagree with the washing advice FrEos.

As the manual instructs and as EOS owners who have used jet washes will testify, you will knacxxer the roof seals. Never use a jet wash on or around the roof.

If you go onto other websites forums ( http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk is a good one) that have dedicated sections for "car care and detailing" and the advice will always be the same. Hand wash using cotton wash mits.

Take a look at some of the pictures in the Jag forum car care section and you will see what can be achieved.

Incidentally never go near an automatic car wash, they use nylon brushes and scratch the paint work to hell.

· Registered
172 Posts
Never use a jet wash on or around the roof.

I agree, but jetwashing is the only way to avoid swirlmarks on the rest of the bodywork. Spray around the roof area/window seals when jetwashing the body of the car is no worse than a shower of rain. :)

IMHO, the reference site for car detailing is www.autopia.org

· Registered
58 Posts
FrEOS.... and others.... washing is washing. As long as you do not do anything too evasive with a hand wash it is fine (and you can really pay attention to spots that a jet wash will not get cleaned - such as when the birds really ate something big that day - lol). Jet washes are great if you enjoy the ease and such, but there is a high pressure for several washes where I live. Curious, the rains around here do not have that pressure, if yours do, WOW! LOL.

Now, I personally will jet wash for times when I have not time to tenderly hand wash my car. :)

I use leather cleaner and protectant for the inside, and have had the interior professionally cleaned once already (car is only a few months old).

I do agree with keeping the wheels clean, but watch out for the "cleaners" since a lot of those damage wheels and rotars and brakes.

My candy red calipers seem to somehow help with brake dust - tho I really have no idea why. Either that of my aftermarket wheels are excellent design, since I have not noticed any brake dust deposits yet. Oh well - all good.

One thing i have problems with is the roof seals (not a lot of local cleaners and lubricants for those here) and cleaning the pop-up wind screen (damn bugs!).

· Former Focus CC3 owner!
632 Posts
FrEOS.... and others.... washing is washing. As long as you do not do anything too evasive with a hand wash it is fine (and you can really pay attention to spots that a jet wash will not get cleaned - such as when the birds really ate something big that day - lol). Jet washes are great if you enjoy the ease and such, but there is a high pressure for several washes where I live. Curious, the rains around here do not have that pressure, if yours do, WOW! LOL.

Would recommend no jet washes used. I used a car wash where people jet washed your car for you but this caused seals to leak in my Focus (ok the seals are complete crap in them anyway, and 90% of them leak but even so!). I'd never use a jet wash on a convertible again personally. It's all about going back to the traditional hand wash with a bucket and sponge! (Hence why my car is the dirtiest on the road! :D )

· Registered
172 Posts
I would never let anyone else wash my cars for me, jet or hand, convertible or hard-top. I even specify that my dealer not wash my car when I take it in for work.

Walkert - I have to disagree; washing is not washing. Handwashing, however gentle you try to be, will inevitably result in swirlmarks sooner or later. Jetwashing may be risky on the Eos, but it preserves the paintwork like no other method I know of does.

· Registered
295 Posts
My son converted me to the sheepskin mit and the hand wash, wet well first with a rose head spray system, use a good shampoo that foams up well and dip the mit in often. rinse well and dry with micro fibre cloth. work with out swirlmark in, you must keep mit well foamed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.